Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 04:23 PM

117 posts, read 302,742 times

Advertisements

It depends on where you live in Rogers Park. Some areas are not particularly safe (especially at night), while some are all right.

Western parts of it near West Ridge are all right, in my opinion. I met some nice guys over there who greeted me. But that was five years ago when I lived in West Ridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:34 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
How about the group of 5 eighteen year old guys hanging out on their bicycles at 10pm at night over by the train station?
If they're doing something they're not supposed to be doing, the cops will never think to find them there.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,659 times
The direction that this thread went in is very interesting! I've lived in some "gritty" neighborhoods in NYC and surrounding boros, I'm used to seeing groups of teenagers hanging out on corners/by the subway and don't have a problem with that. But I've come to realize that the reason why I am (or at least, feel) safe in those neighborhoods is the fact that there are PEOPLE around. I've been told that Chicago is pretty sparsely populated (though not as sparse as LA) and I'm not sure if I'd be thrilled walking around a "gritty" neighborhood with noone around.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:50 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
If they're doing something they're not supposed to be doing, the cops will never think to find them there.
I never once saw the cops near the train stop there. (not THAT long ago, maybe 4-5 years) Can't tell you how many times I walked by a group of grown men on bicycles with nothing better to do then heckle the 'dammmmmm, check out the white chick with an ***!!" And the yelling and screaming at 2AM on weekdays got old pretty quick. good times

But I guess my gf at the time lived in one of the non-safe area's of Rogers Park, because apparently there are some OK parts to Rogers Park. I was not familliar with the eastern part of the neighborhood RIGHT NEXT to the college.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the time I met a friend of mine at the train station and we walked back to my GF's place. A guy approaches us, for all I know he was a drug dealer. The guy first asked for money, then tried to walk into the gated building with us like he lived there. God only knows what would have happened if I wasn't street smart enough to SLAM the gate on his face. Man was that guy pissed. more good times

Oh, and BTW, my friend is CPD. The three worst areas? Inglewood, rogers park, and something else I can't think of right now. how do I know that is the three worst areas, because they have the highest crime rates, as provided by to him from the CPD.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM

43 posts, read 81,250 times
Well, the safety of Rogers Park notwithstanding, many neighborhoods along the Blue line have a Brooklyn feel. Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan Square all look a lot like Williamsburg/Red Hook with regard to shops/people/general experience. Pilsen/Ukrainian Village/West Loop also fit this bill pretty darn well.

But yes, Rogers is a bad choice.

Parts of Red line neighborhoods are a bit Brooklyn-y, but Lincoln Park/River North and even a lot of Lakeview are more Manhattan-y in feel.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:04 PM

43 posts, read 81,250 times
Rogers Park does not even come close to having the worst crime in Chicago!

Community Areas - Rogers Park - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com vs. Community Areas - West Garfield Park - Tracking homicides in Chicago - Tracking homicides in Chicago | RedeyeChicago.com for example disproves such nonsense.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prawnie View Post
The direction that this thread went in is very interesting! I've lived in some "gritty" neighborhoods in NYC and surrounding boros, I'm used to seeing groups of teenagers hanging out on corners/by the subway and don't have a problem with that. But I've come to realize that the reason why I am (or at least, feel) safe in those neighborhoods is the fact that there are PEOPLE around. I've been told that Chicago is pretty sparsely populated (though not as sparse as LA) and I'm not sure if I'd be thrilled walking around a "gritty" neighborhood with noone around.
Lol sparsely populated? Not even close, well I mean compared to NYC *overall* maybe, but it's a good amount more dense than LA in a lot of areas. The thing about Chicago is that there are neighborhoods that are clearly more dense than others, just like NYC, and areas that are just as dense as NYC. Urban areas, and then there are almost suburban neighborhoods to bring the entire density back down. The density in Chicago is officially 11,864.4 people per square mile, while Los Angeles is 8092.3 per square mile, NYC is 27,243.06, Boston is 12,752, and DC is 10,065. So it's better to compare against Boston or DC.

Take into what I mentioned before though. Different neighborhoods in Chicago are different. The Near North Side which would include areas like Gold Coast, River North, and Streeterville have a lot of high rises. The density is 30,000 per square mile, kind of like NYC. Lakeview, which is another "hot" neighborhood kind of, has the same density. Lincoln Park is 20,000 per square mile. Albany Park? 27,000. Then you have other sleepier areas like..Dunning? 11,000.

You will find areas that might remind you of areas of NYC, other areas that are like DC, Boston, etc. That was my Uncle's observation who is from NYC and lives in Los Angeles. Downtown (i.e. Loop, River North, Gold Coast, etc) reminded him of Manhattan for example. Parts of Old Town reminded him of Georgetown in DC.

Some things might depends on what you can afford. For example if you're on a tight budget, then we can throw out X, Y, and Z neighborhoods. Areas that are bustling with a lot of people out though? Near North Side, Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, parts of Logan Square, parts of Ukrainian Village. I'd say that Lincoln Park is kind of a dbag central area, and Lakeview has a mix of people there, although not as good as other areas. Parts of the South Loop isn't bad either and has a mix kind of.

Technically speaking, Albany Park is one of the most diverse areas of the entire US. The rent up there is cheap, and some gangs roam around but it's not overly dangerous. You can find tons of different cuisines there easily and there's people out of course. Lincoln Park is fairly white middle and upper class, and probably the most homogenous I just mentioned. Pilsen is a cool area, although predominantly hispanic if you're looking 100% for a mix. Bridgeport has a mix, although I wouldn't exactly call it bustling like the others I've mentioned.

The most bustling though for sure is River North (part of Near North), parts of Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, parts of UK Village. If you want a little grittier, I'd look at Pilsen (although not as bustling as other parts of town), Lakeview, Wicker Park, UK Village, and Logan Square, and possibly Albany Park. I'd recommend Hyde Park too, but the area is rather boring.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Oh, and BTW, my friend is CPD. The three worst areas? Inglewood, rogers park, and something else I can't think of right now. how do I know that is the three worst areas, because they have the highest crime rates, as provided by to him from the CPD.
It's Englewood. Rogers Park is far from the worst part of town. The worst parts are Englewood (including West Englewood), Austin, and Humboldt Park, and then areas like Lawndale. Rogers Park has some shady areas, but it's far from being an Englewood or Austin.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,443 times
If black people milling about at night bothers you, then perhaps the suburbs is a better option. Or, something like Belmont/Craigan / Portage Park; where it's almost suburban like to being with.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uffthefluff View Post
Well, the safety of Rogers Park notwithstanding, many neighborhoods along the Blue line have a Brooklyn feel. Wicker Park/Bucktown/Logan Square all look a lot like Williamsburg/Red Hook with regard to shops/people/general experience. Pilsen/Ukrainian Village/West Loop also fit this bill pretty darn well.
I'm not sure how "Brooklyn-y" these neighborhoods feel on balance, but some of the Blue Line neighborhoods along the Northwest branch are probably about as good as it'll get for the OP and her criteria. And they probably feel a hell of a lot more Brooklyn-like than anything in LA.

I don't know what the reverse commute is like out to Oak Brook in the mornings, but in the afternoons the Ike moves pretty well inbound once you get past Austin, then you can zip right up Sacramento to the NW side or maybe up Western if you don't have to go any further than Ukrainian Village. Haven't really tried surface street alternatives west of Austin or around the Strangler though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago