Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 09:00 PM

16 posts, read 33,812 times

Advertisements

I need some suggestions....Please read entire post before responding.

Chicago has been on my "bucket" list for awhile now....and well...Im just going to be frank. I've been diagnosed with a brain tumor and before I decide on any treatment, I want to cross some things off my bucket list and that includes visiting Chicago for a week.

So I have two requests from anyone out there.

1. What might be the best area for me to stay in if I want to stay in an area that will give the best access to things? I really have no clue. Safety is of course important!

2. What are some suggestions for things that would be great for me to experience there? Loaded question I know but Im not interested in too many touristy things (no museums, etc.). Im more interested in things locals think are cool to do or see in Chicago. Im able bodied so Im open to just about any suggestion.

I realize my post is unique but I also know the Universe has a way of bringing the right people to you! Thanks a bunch to everyone who sends a suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 09:11 PM

9,889 posts, read 9,515,653 times
Hi - you can look these things up on a mapquest to see where they are. But i like to visit interesting historial and architectural places - Astor Street, Lincoln Park, Dearborn St near downtown, Prairie District around 18th and Indiana St, Oak Park (10 miles west of downtown - beautiful stuff to see on every block like Frank Loyd Wright homes and mansions).

You can get a CTA pass (2 days pass) and/or a Metra pass on the weekend for $5.00 whch will enable you to ride continuously while saving you money if you want.

Lake Michigan is beautiful to see and is free. Lincoln Park zoo, and the place where they show off flowers (i forget the name) but its in Lincoln Park near fullerton. The nature museum is there too - Peggy notebart.

Thats my fave places!

Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,846,403 times
To answer your first question, Chicago's public transportation system is basically designed to funnel everyone to and from the central business district, so staying in or near the CBD will give you the best access to any part of the city you might want to go.

As for the second question, do you have any specific interests besides "not touristy stuff"?

Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 PM

4,620 posts, read 8,131,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith9898 View Post
I realize my post is unique but I also know the Universe has a way of bringing the right people to you! Thanks a bunch to everyone who sends a suggestion.
Your situation is a bit unusual, but your questions are far from unique.

Different cancers, etc, etc, but if Steve Jobs death taught us anything, it's not to take too long before getting treatment for cancer.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:15 PM

18,748 posts, read 11,732,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Your situation is a bit unusual, but your questions are far from unique.

Different cancers, etc, etc, but if Steve Jobs death taught us anything, it's not to take too long before getting treatment for cancer.
Yes, but it depends on the prognosis. Quality over quantity if it's something that is not curable. If the prognosis is good then agreed that it would be foolish to delay treatment. Either way, all the best to you, and I agree that the Lincoln Park Zoo would be on the top of the list. The Adler Planetarium is fun as well. I wouldn't miss the Shedd Aquarium either. I hope you will be OK.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 AM

16 posts, read 33,812 times
Thanks everyone I appreciate the suggestions.

As for what I "like to do" I wanted to keep that open as I figured someone might suggest something that was totally different for me but something that would be cool to do or see.

As for my prognosis, I try not to focus on it or worry about. Although Im under 45, many people don't even live past their 30s. I just want to try to live a little right now as I spent to much time focused on my education that I honestly haven't had a lot of fun!

Thanks again for the suggestions and the well wishes.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,965,864 times
Take a look at airbnb. You can find some cool places to stay. I would suggest the Gold Coast, Lincoln Park or Lakeview. There are tons of places to wander on the north side. I really like the Andersonville, Ravenswood and Lincoln Square neighborhoods. I'm like you, not a huge museum person. I do love the Shedd Aquarium and think it's definitely worth doing. I went to U of C and think Hyde Park and the U of C campus are definitely worth checking out. The Oriental Institue is a small cool museum on the U of C campus if you are at all interested in archeology. I like to take walking tours or boat tours. Depending on when you come, you could take a boat tour along the river. Archicenter Chicago Architecture Foundation - Tours has some great tours.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 AM

332 posts, read 521,321 times
No trip to Chicago is complete without a stop at Berlin Nightclub. I wish you the best on your health.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:44 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,147,998 times
It is very difficult to go to Chicago and not do something touristy because the uniqueness of what it offers is only available in Chicago. The good news is most tourist areas are not very 'touristy' in off season. The Midwest has many interesting things to do and places to explore. The problem is distance; you need a car.

Chicago Water Taxi to Chinatown and back. It's interesting and the food is good.
Buckingham Fountain in Grants Park at night is usually lighted and its free
Lincoln Park Zoo is free. .
5 different Chicago trolly tours. Not free. There was a free City trolly, but I don't know if it is still operational or not.
Picasso sculpture outside at Daley Plaza is free.
Hancock Center for lunch or dinner on the 95th floor offers a different view of the lake.
The Shedd Aquarium is interesting too.
Take a lake cruise or architectural cruise.
The largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes in the world is about 8 miles west of the city in Oak Park. The self guided walking tour is free. The guided tour is not.
If you are in for a weekend, look for Chicago events.

If you ever wanted to sample authentic foods from around the world Chicago is where you find it.
Take a ride on the Elevated trains during non-rush hour.
Walk the Magnificent Mile to discover upscale shopping such as Peacocks- Chicago's oldest jeweler..

If I was driving, I would not pass up the opportunity to visit the Wisconsin Thumb. It is a peninsula with a small town that is very natural and quiet in off-season. It is also cool in mid-May; take a jacket.

I took a week in late August and drove around two of the Great Lakes. I entered thru Minnesota, drove through Canada and exited through Locks in MI.

The Amanda Colonies in IA is not far from Davenport. The food is awesome. and it is a simple way of living in a modern world.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 AM

9,889 posts, read 9,515,653 times
Hey also be sure to check out the various restaurants in Chicagoland. There is a cuisine from every nation. Even people that are immigrants who cook directly from what they cooked in their homeland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago