Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
jesse just wanted to tell you guys about his expensive bike
Yes, there's also the factor of the expense of the bike ( esp HIS bikes), the locks, the time spent securing the bike ( taking the wheel off, etc), maybe a shower after the ride( if your workplace has this option, which I doubt), the risk of being sideswiped, or worse, etc, etc..

It winds up being a personal choice; I'm not really convinced that it's a real saving of money/time as opposed to public transit..even though there are some health benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,721,827 times
My main bike I use for commuting, - and mentioned in this post, is a modest low end - mid range bike. Trek 3.1 on Sale $1599 + tax. Campy Scirocco wheels - modest wheel upgrade with good sealed bearings that are low friction enough, sturdy wheel with COOL LOOKS -- about $270 shipped from Wiggle. Rack and pannier set - $145.

My low end commuter bike are my 2005 Giant OCR 1 and my 2009 Specialized Langster NYC [singlespeed or fixie] edition.

It's very funny how very far you can go by biking in the city. On my last ride I just realized the HIP Mall is only a 9.7 mile bike ride from North Ave & Western.

When you have a good enough road bike, even with easy pedaling and acceleration - you can gradually pedal up to a steady rate of 18 mph + ... So you end up going far.

For me, it's faster to bike downtown than take the train. Plus when I bike I can easily go to Michigan Ave / Water Tower too. I hate the train and bus fares and I think they're expensive.

Last edited by Jesse69; 09-07-2012 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,428,064 times
I never feel the need to shower at work, though probably because I wear light clothes and change when I get there. I have fenders so i stay dry when the ground is wet. I have a coat, gloves, and facemask and they make winter riding a piece of cake.

It absolutely saves money in the long run and probably time as well. I can understand some complaints that people have about it, but it's really a lot easier than some of you think.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:54 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,428,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
My main bike I use for commuting, - and mentioned in this post, is a modest low end - mid range bike. Trek 3.1 on Sale $1599 + tax. Campy Scirocco wheels - modest wheel upgrade with good sealed bearings that are low friction enough, sturdy wheel with COOL LOOKS -- about $270 shipped from Wiggle. Rack and pannier set - $145.

My low end commuter bike are my 2005 Giant OCR 1 and my Specialized Langster NYC edition.
Funny, I don't remember anyone asking to learn more about your bicycle collection.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Funny, I don't remember anyone asking to learn more about your bicycle collection.
I guess I did, in an indirect way...

I am not opposed to bikes at all; however...I could ride mass transit quite a few times for the equivalent of $2000...

Old 09-07-2012, 12:46 PM

439 posts, read 951,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I guess I did, in an indirect way...

I am not opposed to bikes at all; however...I could ride mass transit quite a few times for the equivalent of $2000...
A serviceable bike costs a fraction of that.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:56 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,721,827 times
Well, cheap bikes are NO INSPIRATION to ride. They're only value is in they are less likely to be stolen, as a thief would steal the better bikes off a rack. Otherwise, cheap bikes make you look poor. When I first started my bike workouts in 2003 on LSD with my $1500 Giant TCR Aero 2 - some people insulted me as if I was riding a cheap bike. Only when I started riding my Cervelo or Kestrel did they not look down on me.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:10 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,979,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
This sounds either like an ad for a bike, or the guy is really excited about his bike.

And bikes in general - whats up with people putting bikes on the front of the bus - if you are going to ride your bike, why are you taking the bus?
It in theory adds options. You ride the bus, get off ride your bike to the final desitnation.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,085,147 times
Quote:
Well, cheap bikes are NO INSPIRATION to ride. They're only value is in they are less likely to be stolen, as a thief would steal the better bikes off a rack. Otherwise, cheap bikes make you look poor. When I first started my bike workouts in 2003 on LSD with my $1500 Giant TCR Aero 2 - some people insulted me as if I was riding a cheap bike. Only when I started riding my Cervelo or Kestrel did they not look down on me.
You got problems.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:50 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,227,937 times
Quote:
WHen I started riding Centuries and with a local bike club, I was doing it on a 20 year old Trek 1000 and NOBODY looked down on me. Maybe because I could still haul a** or maybe because the majority of cyclists aren't d-baggy enough to "look down" on me. I have a new road bike that was expensive, but should last me another 20 years yet I still have no qualms riding my Raleigh M-60 that is almost 15 years old and has been used and abused. I have also ridden the Lakefront path on the old Trek 1000 and never got insulted. Maybe it's in your head. Not saying there's anything wrong with your bike choices, but insinuating someone is going to get insulted by the cycling "elite" for riding a beater is ridiculous. I perceive most of us wouldn't give a spit and would give anyone insulting our bike choice the middle finger salute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago