Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times

Advertisements

I know this thread has been done before, but not recently, and quality of service of cell phone providers can change.

Sprint's data networks (both 3G and 4G) have become so spotty around the city that for all practical purposes it's not really usable for me anymore. Fortunately my contract with them is up, so I can move on to a service provider that actually works well here, if there is such a thing.

Everyone I know with AT&T says their data connections are just as bad. Whose is good?

Now that there are pay-as-you-go providers where you can buy the phone up front and save significantly (without being tied to a contract), I'd love to do one of those, but I'd be open to signing a contract with a provider if they provide a data plan that works well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 06:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
I use verizon have have no problems anywhere. Sprint is horrible.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:48 PM

From Verizon's website it appears their cheapest smartphone plan is $100 a month and includes only 2GB of data. Yikes. My sprint bill is $70 a month with unlimited data. I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
But 2 GB is alot. Husband and I barely use more than 1.5 combined. What are your avarage data use?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:39 PM

389 posts, read 920,911 times
2GB isn't a lot. Especially if you stream radio, music or watch netflix/hulu/youtube. Anyway the best place to ask this is not this forum, you should be asking this in a technical forum where tekssavy users would point you into the right direction. Unfortunately I can't give you URL due to this forum terms.

Picking carrier is not what is all best. It depends also on type of smartphone, neighborhood where you spend most of your time (home, work, school), personal preferences etc. Then the choice of carrier narrows down to whether how much you are willing to spend and how often you plan to leave to rural areas (coverage). Also while in one area ATT's 3G may be slow, its 4G LTE will be usually adequately fast. If you purchased your last smartphone this year, chances are it has LTE unless you picked iPhone. The new iPhone 5 that will come out this September will have LTE.

In Chicago, you can't go wrong with any carrier. I know you're fed up with Sprint, but once they'll lunch LTE their speed on data network will dramatically improve.
If you are not interested in family plans, and you're only one person on plan, any carrier will be better than Verizon. VZ now forces new customers to sign up for share data plans, while ATT still allows you to get individual plans. T-Mobile offers individual plans and plans to return to offering unlimited data when it lunches iPhone. They'll be offering it after they make their HSPA (3G+) network ready compatible with phones that work on ATT. They won't offer LTE soon, but their HSPA (3G+) 42MB network is faster than ATT's 3G. That includes 4G (non-LTE) network which is really more of marketing that true 4G, its really HSPA+ (enhanced 3G).

Last edited by mayhem_223; 09-08-2012 at 07:49 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM

I don't go over 2 GB too many months, but I do sometimes, because of streaming music, podcasts, etc., and the main reason I want a more reliable network than Sprint's is so I can do more of that stuff, not less. The idea of having to pay $30 more per month and having to monitor my data use (unless I want to pay another $15-$45 on top of that) is super annoying. I'd almost rather deal with Sprint's spottiness than that.

Ideally I'd like to do one of the pay-as-you-go no contract kind of things for $45-50 per month, such as Virgin (though they use Sprint's network), T-Mobile, etc. I'm most interested in knowing if one of those has a decent data network in the city. Contract plans with subsidized phones are really the wave of the past, I think.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
neighborhood where you spend most of your time (home, work, school), personal preferences etc.
I can use wifi at home and work, so that's not really an issue for me. It's when I'm out and about in the city that the data connection is always crapping out on me, and I don't have just one or two neighborhoods where I always hang out, so I'm looking for a provider with a good network all across the city. If Verizon is the only one, I'll just have to decide if their extra cost is worth it, I suppose, but I'm still hoping somebody knows of another.

The phone I'd be using would either be one of the latest top-of-the-line Androids or the new iPhone that's coming out soon. The phone itself isn't the issue for me, just the data network.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 09-08-2012 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I don't go over 2 GB too many months, but I do sometimes, because of streaming music, podcasts, etc., and the main reason I want a more reliable network than Sprint's is so I can do more of that stuff, not less. The idea of having to pay $30 more per month and having to monitor my data use (unless I want to pay another $15-$45 on top of that) is super annoying. I'd almost rather deal with Sprint's spottiness than that.

Ideally I'd like to do one of the pay-as-you-go no contract kind of things for $45-50 per month, such as Virgin (though they use Sprint's network), T-Mobile, etc. I'm most interested in knowing if one of those has a decent data network in the city. Contract plans with subsidized phones are really the wave of the past, I think.
You might wanna re-read my last post, because I think you posted your recent while I was revising and adding something more to my post.

Sprint is getting LTE but if you don't wanna wait, then any remaining carrier of big 4 is gonna be good (at&t, vzw, t-mobile). If you're willing to pay more upfront for phone and go without contract, then T-Mobile or any MNVO is gonna be great for you. Just google "MNVO" and you should get a list of them and what network they work on (att, verizon, t-mobile etc). Pick the cost of phone and monthly plans and compare how much they will cost you over 2 years. You may find that paying little more for phone and going with StraightTalk or Simply Mobile will cost you less over 2 years on month-to-month plans than a 2 year contract with a legacy carrier like AT&T. The only restriction you may have with MNVO is that they may not always roam on another network if you leave your native coverage area. But without contract, you won't be locked down to one carrier if you choose a GSM compatible phone. Just swap SIM card and you're ready to go.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I can use wifi at home and work, so that's not really an issue for me. It's when I'm out and about in the city that the data connection is always crapping out on me, and I don't have just one or two neighborhoods where I always hang out, so I'm looking for a provider with a good network all across the city. If Verizon is the only one, I'll just have to decide if their extra cost is worth it, I suppose, but I'm still hoping somebody knows of another.

As I said Spring is getting LTE if you're willing to give them a chance, but if you do not wanna wait then I would rank Att/Verizon followed by T-Mobile for your data speed needs. All 3 of them have great coverage in Chicagoland. Verizon has little larger LTE coverage that extends to WI, IN, southern Illinois, but at&t already covers those area with 3G/3G+ that is still faster than Verizon or Sprint's 3G.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Sprint is getting LTE but if you don't wanna wait, then any remaining carrier of big 4 is gonna be good (at&t, vzw, t-mobile).
I don't know what LTE is, but Sprint has been saying for at least a year or two that they're about to get better coverage here, so unless it's coming really soon, I'm tired of waiting.

Nobody I know on AT&T is happy with their coverage in Chicago. I'm not even going to go there.

If T-Mobile is good, that would be ideal.

Quote:

In Chicago, you can't go wrong with any carrier.
My experience and that of people I know is the exact opposite of this statement, actually, which is why I started this thread. Nearly every carrier is worse with data in the city than in the burbs and small towns. (I'm not concerned with "Chicagoland", which isn't a problem. I'm concerned with coverage in the city of Chicago.) Sprint and ATT for certain are horrible for data in the city, but are fine other places. I assume it has to do with the high demand in a small area, and the infrastructure having not caught up, but it's getting worse when it should be getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago