Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:18 PM

98 posts, read 198,062 times

Advertisements

I know I'm late to this discussion but I have kept up with what's going on down in Chicago with the schools, and personally I feel that until they get rid of Karen Lewis, nothing is going to change. She is a nasty, divisive, ignorant woman who works overtime to promote her own agenda and bulldozes past anyone who disagrees with her. She insults people of color who truly do experience racism by claiming that any policy people don't agree with of hers is somehow racism on their part. I'm sick and tired of this. I'm a gay individual, but I have never - and will never - claim that people are homophobic or anti-gay just because I am unhappy that people don't agree with my ideas. What this kind of thinking does is make those who truly are racist even MORE so, because they know you are baiting them. Lewis lives for this kind of stuff, and in doing so, divides people even more. At this point in Chicago, she is the last person who should be saying anything on behalf of CPS.

And another thing: the 3rd grade kid who was speaking like some kind of reverend on that CNN's 'Chicagoland' show. He doesn't even know what he's talking about. What a coincidence his mother has something to do with the teacher's union. I find it shameless when parents use and coach their own kids to do their dirty work in order to score cuteness points or 'this could be the next leader!' comments. That had nothing to do with closing schools, safe passage, or anything like that. That was about her own personal financial security and nothing else. You and your children are the ones who can change your neighborhoods by working with authorities and monitoring what's going on - gangs are bad in Chicago - no argument from me - but to roll over and say that you're controlled more by the intimidation of gangs that you won't even try to get rid of them, I call BS on that. The gangs don't own parts of Chicago - FAMILIES who work, attend school, pick up trash, volunteer, contribute, etc - that's who owns the neighborhoods. It IS going to be hard work to drive the gangs out. But to give them the idea that they've got so much control that, by showing up downtown because you don't want your kids' school closing because you're (rightly so) afraid of crossing gang territories - be furious with the gangs, drugs, hookers, guns and everything else rather than the people in charge. School closings are happening all over the US and there's nothing we can do about it.

Fewer people have been having kids over the past 15 years and more people are homeschooling their kids. This was bound to happen, and it'll happen more. This is one of the first times it has happened in such a major city, however. This is an opportunity to improve these neighborhoods where kids are playing in the summer - inside - and never get to go outside. What kind of childhood is that? Get angry enough to take action against those who are making you feel like you have to live that way and get rid of people like Lewis who do nothing but bring negative energy into the school system while getting richer off of every interview and speaking appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,957,533 times
Believe or not,I knew Ms. Lewis when she was teaching chemistry. She is a bright person and has the capability of being articulate / thoughtful. I don't exactly know what has happened to her over the years but I do know that as various efforts to cut staff in CPS has resulted in many lab courses that met for 7 or more periods per week have been reduced to just 5 that means less time to work on the kinds of hands-on things that matter to dedicated teachers...

I cannot disagree that in a world where appearance matters Ms. Lewis is not a very "media friendly" spokesperson but I also know her passion /frustration is widely reflected by other experienced teachers...

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 PM

575 posts, read 610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I cannot disagree that in a world where appearance matters Ms. Lewis is not a very "media friendly" spokesperson but I also know her passion /frustration is widely reflected by other experienced teachers...
Police officers have said they wish she was their union rep. She handed Rahm his ass in the strike.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:31 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Police officers have said they wish she was their union rep. She handed Rahm his ass in the strike.
I think she did as well as could have been reasonably expected, but revisit the terms by which the strike was settled. I don't think it was anything resembling a slam dunk for teachers.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:25 PM

575 posts, read 610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think she did as well as could have been reasonably expected, but revisit the terms by which the strike was settled. I don't think it was anything resembling a slam dunk for teachers.
Rahm gets rolled: Rahm Gets Rolled: Chicago's Winners & Losers - Rick Hess Straight Up - Education Week

Tbh, I don't know who "won" the strike, I just remember the perception that Rahm lost and the teachers won. That always seemed the likely result: the teachers could stay out longer than the city could keep the schools closed.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,828,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheOrangeCat View Post
Rahm gets rolled: Rahm Gets Rolled: Chicago's Winners & Losers - Rick Hess Straight Up - Education Week

Tbh, I don't know who "won" the strike, I just remember the perception that Rahm lost and the teachers won. That always seemed the likely result: the teachers could stay out longer than the city could keep the schools closed.
Rahm definitely ate major crow.

And I stand very corrected, I remembered the initial complaining:

Chicago Teachers Union members to run against CTU President Karen Lewis's leadership team - Chicago Tribune

But forgot that Lewis then won re-election as CTU President with 80%, 'nuff said:

Karen Lewis wins second term as CTU president | catalyst-chicago.org

Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM

410 posts, read 488,120 times
I think it's mainly the culture of the kids that enter the CPS.

And the incompetent leaders of the school system. And the teachers who want a raise even though their pay is quite nice once they have a few years under their belt.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,860,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Well, but it's more than that - it's that CPS isn't allowed to expel them, short of felony behavior.

I am 100% for public education, but IMO it's part of a social compact, not a constitutional right on par with the freedom of speech.

Part of that social compact is on us, the taxpayer, to provide the school system. But the other side of the coin is on the students, who I think should be expected to put a reasonable amount of effort into their education, and certainly should not be permitted to disrupt anyone else's.

I would wager that by simply lowering the cut-off age we could get rid of a lot of the chronic problem "children" who are dragging down everyone else. I never bought into this concept that "special needs" kids should be in high school in their early 20s. Just think about that for a minute - you have all of these kids labeled special ed who are often just hard cases the teachers want segregated out of the gen pop, and they stick around until they turn 22.

That's outrageous on a lot of levels. Who on earth would want their 14 or 15 year old daughter in an environment which guys old enough to be drafted and to legally drink?

I'd say by 19 you need to keep moving on. That's why we have continuing education programs like the GED.
All round, I agree.

But even then, what would expulsion do?

If I was ever in the position to be expelled, I don't know if I would have lived to see the day, via my father causing my untimely demise. So I still think it goes back to parents, and home life.

If the parents don't care about their kid doing well in school, why would they care if they were kicked out?

Sure, make it so that CPS can kick kids out of the classroom. Will those kids willingly go and get a GED? Will the kids whose parents allowed expulsion worthy behavior and academics make the kid go get their GED? I'm guessing (I could be wrong) they wouldn't on both fronts.

So, we would have a bunch of people not interested in education or accepting/following societal norms out and about during traditional school hours. Will that make Chicago's streets safer? I highly doubt it. But that's just my personal opinion.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:05 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,013,812 times
For the people "not interested in education or accepting/following societal norms" - if they didn't try at school but don't cause trouble they can be offered to drop out.

If they cause trouble, Chicago Public Schools should make "babysitting academies" - they have to attend and there's no pretense of education. They have negative "grade numbers" and are not allowed to take state tests. The mascot of the "Babysitting Academy" is... the Babies.

Every class is video monitored and sound-bugged. If kids cause further trouble, there is a clause that automatically allows non-suable corporal punishment that can be viewed from the internet.

The Babysitting Academy can choose to allow a dropout or it can choose to force a student to attend until 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
All round, I agree.

But even then, what would expulsion do?

If I was ever in the position to be expelled, I don't know if I would have lived to see the day, via my father causing my untimely demise. So I still think it goes back to parents, and home life.

If the parents don't care about their kid doing well in school, why would they care if they were kicked out?

Sure, make it so that CPS can kick kids out of the classroom. Will those kids willingly go and get a GED? Will the kids whose parents allowed expulsion worthy behavior and academics make the kid go get their GED? I'm guessing (I could be wrong) they wouldn't on both fronts.

So, we would have a bunch of people not interested in education or accepting/following societal norms out and about during traditional school hours. Will that make Chicago's streets safer? I highly doubt it. But that's just my personal opinion.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:05 PM

425 posts, read 428,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post

If they cause trouble, Chicago Public Schools should make "babysitting academies" - they have to attend and there's no pretense of education. They have negative "grade numbers" and are not allowed to take state tests. The mascot of the "Babysitting Academy" is... the Babies.

Every class is video monitored and sound-bugged. If kids cause further trouble, there is a clause that automatically allows non-suable corporal punishment that can be viewed from the internet.

The Babysitting Academy can choose to allow a dropout or it can choose to force a student to attend until 18.
I can't tell if you're being serious...?

You might as well throw them in a prison, although this may be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago