Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM

304 posts, read 871,173 times

Advertisements

I am possibly moving to Chicago in the near future. I have narrowed it down to neighborhoods on the north side with access to the red line. Both these neighborhoods seem to have affordable studio apartments and access to the red line.

I just wanted to know the nightlife scene and if there are any safety issues.

I'll be 24 and going to school. I am single.

Nightlife is not a must, but it would be nice to have different bars and restaurants etc.. near where I live. I also understand in a big city there will be instance of crime. I dont expect anywhere to be completely safe. Basically Ive heard the most dangerous neighborhoods are pretty much on the South and west sides (Garfield Park, Englewood, Humboldt Park, Austin).

Is there certain pockets in Uptown and Edgewater where I shouldnt try and find a place?

* Sorry I know it's Edgewater. I am tired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 11:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Uptown and Edgewater border each other and there's no magic transformation that occurs when you cross from one to the other. If you didn't know what street formed the border between the two (Foster), you wouldn't know where one stops and the other starts.

There is a cluster of methadone clinics, mental health facilities, flophouses, gang activity, and just plain crazy people tightly focused around the Wilson and Broadway intersection, expanding a couple blocks in each direction from there. Quality-of-life issues would inspire me to not live within a couple blocks of that intersection. There are some problem buildings here and there in Edgewater between Broadway and Sheridan; as a whole I would suggest keeping your apartment search west of Broadway. That said in neither case is the crime situation anything like what you find in the high-crime areas of the south and west sides.

There are two main nightlife areas in Uptown and Edgewater. The first is the Clark Street strip from roughly Argyle north to roughly Hollywood. The neighborhood immediately surrounding this strip is known as Andersonville. The second is centered around Lawrence and Broadway, where there are two substantial theater-type concert venues (Aragon and Riviera) hosting national and international touring acts, a popular jazz venue (The Green Mill), and a cluster of decent bars and restaurants and the like. This nightlife area abuts and even overlaps a bit with the seedy area of Uptown I mentioned before so it's advisable to kick your situational awareness up a notch when venturing there, and don't wander too far south of there at night unless maybe you're in a large group.

The Andersonville nightlife area is more upscale, more "mature" if you will, still pretty lively nonetheless, and has a bit of a gay/lesbian element. The Uptown nightlife scene is more of a party/music scene but it's not overly rowdy.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Uptown and Edgewater border each other and there's no magic transformation that occurs when you cross from one to the other. If you didn't know what street formed the border between the two (Foster), you wouldn't know where one stops and the other starts.

There is a cluster of methadone clinics, mental health facilities, flophouses, gang activity, and just plain crazy people tightly focused around the Wilson and Broadway intersection, expanding a couple blocks in each direction from there. Quality-of-life issues would inspire me to not live within a couple blocks of that intersection. There are some problem buildings here and there in Edgewater between Broadway and Sheridan; as a whole I would suggest keeping your apartment search west of Broadway. That said in neither case is the crime situation anything like what you find in the high-crime areas of the south and west sides.

There are two main nightlife areas in Uptown and Edgewater. The first is the Clark Street strip from roughly Argyle north to roughly Hollywood. The neighborhood immediately surrounding this strip is known as Andersonville. The second is centered around Lawrence and Broadway, where there are two substantial theater-type concert venues (Aragon and Riviera) hosting national and international touring acts, a popular jazz venue (The Green Mill), and a cluster of decent bars and restaurants and the like. This nightlife area abuts and even overlaps a bit with the seedy area of Uptown I mentioned before so it's advisable to kick your situational awareness up a notch when venturing there, and don't wander too far south of there at night unless maybe you're in a large group.

The Andersonville nightlife area is more upscale, more "mature" if you will, still pretty lively nonetheless, and has a bit of a gay/lesbian element. The Uptown nightlife scene is more of a party/music scene but it's not overly rowdy.
This was great thanks. I will definitely watch what areas I go to. I think Andersonville has studio apartments so that might be an option as well. I might even just pay a little more and go to lincoln park.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:37 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Another option for studios in Edgewater is near the Bryn Mawr Historic District. It's a small little patch from Broadway to the lake. The Bryn Mawr red line stop is right there and I see lots and lots of multi-unit housing. I'm not sure if you will be working or going downtown, but aside from the red line there are bus lines (136- Sheridan Lasalle Xpress, 147 - Outer Drive Xpress, and the 151, which is an OWL route.)

Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Keep in mind that you mention nightlife and everything, but if you're on the red line, it's not that hard to hop on the train and go 3 stops for other nightlife. Anyway, there are good and weird areas of both as someone has already pointed out. I like parts of Edgewater better. Andersonville is a great area too for sure. The train doesn't cut right through Andersonville, but the walk isn't that far, and there's always the bus if you're lazy.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Keep in mind that you mention nightlife and everything, but if you're on the red line, it's not that hard to hop on the train and go 3 stops for other nightlife. Anyway, there are good and weird areas of both as someone has already pointed out. I like parts of Edgewater better. Andersonville is a great area too for sure. The train doesn't cut right through Andersonville, but the walk isn't that far, and there's always the bus if you're lazy.
You're right. I know the redline goes through lakeview and lincoln park which both have good nightlife. I definitely value affordability and convenience over nightlife.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:48 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
I took a ride over by Sheridan and Argyle then went down to Foster. people were eating over at Tweet on Sheridan. i also saw people hanging out and walking down the street - these would be homeless or poor people.

I also used to wait at the bus stop by Truman college at 9:00 at night. (Wilson and Broadway). Several people walked by that were probably homeless or just hanging out. No one bothered me.

My feeling about that is that all kinds of people hang out over there in Uptown, and they do not seem to bother each other in a bad way. I have walked down Broadway from Foster to Montrose to see what it was like. Some people get robbed, fortunately I didn't get mugged. I am not recommending it, but just seeing what that area was like.

the other day i took a bus/el ride, and I was waiting over by Wilson and Broadway for the bus, saw a few characters, talking to themselves, one guy talking loud about his sex life, and some other guys talking about the fun life they have, etc.. but again, no one bothered me.

If you dont mind the homeless, poor, or mentally ill, or do not let them worry you, then it seems to be ok. Now, dont take it from me and then get mugged and say it is my fault for listening to me, but just giving you my general view point about it. I mean, dont flaunt stuff and cause something to happen, but then, dont be paranoid either, i guess, I mean use common sense/ street smarts. I know sometimes the homelss or mentally ill can make a person feel uncomfortable if they are not used to the big city life and all its characters.

the only time someone bugged me was when I lived in Uptown (margate park area) and was sitting by my moving truck and a homeless guy came and was bugging me for money, and peeking inside my moving van as if it was a dollar store - he was looking around at my stuff!!!!. Fortunately i had nothing valuable in there, but if he saw a tv, he'd possibly want it. the moving van guy came out and shooed him away because he says some people on purpose injure themselves on the moving van ramp and then try to sue for damages. (true story).

I know what i am saying might cause someone to holler I am not politically correct or they will take it personally that I am picking on the mentally ill, the poor, and the homeless and other groups of people, but i am not really. neither do i recommend putting yourself in the way of crime but just trying to be reasonable.. if that makes any sense. haha sometimes i dont make sense!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I took a ride over by Sheridan and Argyle then went down to Foster. people were eating over at Tweet on Sheridan. i also saw people hanging out and walking down the street - these would be homeless or poor people.

I also used to wait at the bus stop by Truman college at 9:00 at night. (Wilson and Broadway). Several people walked by that were probably homeless or just hanging out. No one bothered me.

My feeling about that is that all kinds of people hang out over there in Uptown, and they do not seem to bother each other in a bad way. I have walked down Broadway from Foster to Montrose to see what it was like. Some people get robbed, fortunately I didn't get mugged. I am not recommending it, but just seeing what that area was like.

the other day i took a bus/el ride, and I was waiting over by Wilson and Broadway for the bus, saw a few characters, talking to themselves, one guy talking loud about his sex life, and some other guys talking about the fun life they have, etc.. but again, no one bothered me.

If you dont mind the homeless, poor, or mentally ill, or do not let them worry you, then it seems to be ok. Now, dont take it from me and then get mugged and say it is my fault for listening to me, but just giving you my general view point about it. I mean, dont flaunt stuff and cause something to happen, but then, dont be paranoid either, i guess, I mean use common sense/ street smarts. I know sometimes the homelss or mentally ill can make a person feel uncomfortable if they are not used to the big city life and all its characters.

the only time someone bugged me was when I lived in Uptown (margate park area) and was sitting by my moving truck and a homeless guy came and was bugging me for money, and peeking inside my moving van as if it was a dollar store - he was looking around at my stuff!!!!. Fortunately i had nothing valuable in there, but if he saw a tv, he'd possibly want it. the moving van guy came out and shooed him away because he says some people on purpose injure themselves on the moving van ramp and then try to sue for damages. (true story).

I know what i am saying might cause someone to holler I am not politically correct or they will take it personally that I am picking on the mentally ill, the poor, and the homeless and other groups of people, but i am not really. neither do i recommend putting yourself in the way of crime but just trying to be reasonable.. if that makes any sense. haha sometimes i dont make sense!
Thanks. I can deal with weird. Violent weird might disturb me a little more. There are quite a few homeless people where I live now as well so that shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the crime statistics they dont seem to be crime ridden areas.

Did you like the nightlife?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I personally like the Argyle area of Uptown, but that's because I love Vietnamese food. It's nowhere near as weird as Wilson either, or even Lawrence.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:18 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Thanks. I can deal with weird. Violent weird might disturb me a little more. There are quite a few homeless people where I live now as well so that shouldn't be a problem. Looking at the crime statistics they dont seem to be crime ridden areas.

Did you like the nightlife?
Well, my nightlife days are over, but when i did go to Big Chicks which is the fun bar over there, it is a fun place. I did go over to the Aragon nearby for a few things - everything was safe enough for me. I didn't go out much else, was more stay at home. That part of Chicago is China Town, so the restaurants during the day and evening were enjoyable to go to. they have some cute stores to do some shopping in. They just built a new Dominics which replaced an old one. I haven't gone inside but i have a feeling its pretty nice. on the eastern side of Margate Park is Lincoln Park and it is so pretty, and the lake is a block away. Actually the architecture of Margate Park and Sheridan Park is so beautiful, its very pleasant to live there. I guess I am more impressed with the area closer to the lake than the nightlife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago