Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 03:53 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times

Advertisements

The basic answer it is not a cold dish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What's hot dish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
That looks like something the English would produce after they've eaten.
Spoiled much? Ever been truly hungry without the means to have decent food? But, "oh, it's not (insert the latest, trendiest restaurant) so I'm going to turn my nose up at it"! Oy friggin vey!! Sorry, but I detest pickiness or over smugness when it comes to food choices The picture actually depicts a casserole that doesn't look half bad. Did you actually try a bite of that specific casserole?! Well then who are you to judge?

Last edited by cubssoxfan; 09-19-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 04:21 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,331,247 times
The "rat race" is not that bad in Chicago. It's something you only notice if your new here and I have grown to love the fast pace of life. It's part of the reason I don't like going home anymore. Life is just so much fuller and richer up here. Back home things are just too slow and always the same.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
I honestly cannot remember a single restaurant in Minnesota that actually served hot dish in a restaurant. I remember SOME people brought it to potlucks SOMETIMES, but that's about the only times I saw it. I'm sure some restaurants serve it, but I cannot remember a single one that does. It's more popular in a non restaurant setting when people have to bring their own stuff (i.e. potluck, picnic).

Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM

928 posts, read 1,703,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Spoiled much? Ever been truly hungry without the means to have decent food? But, "oh, it's not (insert the latest, trendiest restaurant) si I'm going to turn my nose up at it"! Oy friggin vey!! Sorry, but I detest pickiness or over smugness when it comes to food choices
Yeah, because saying something looks like **** is the same as saying I wouldn't eat it if I were truly starving.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:35 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
Default Great point!

There really is some awfully good food in Illinois and other states that is not in a trendy restaurant. Meat, potato, and a veggie is what most Midwestern kids grow up eating. WWII was entirely different, but after the war and factories converted from war parts to car parts the little restaurants that popped up served steak or ribeye on Saturday night only. The rest of the week it was ham, pork chops, chicken, hamburger, or fish, or some type of special. The trendy haute cuisine was left to big cities like NYC and Chicago.

But food had to change when companies began to make profits and executives moved to smaller towns.
Then foods like Chateaubriand and Porter House Steak became more common place as did small Chinese restaurants and fast food. In the 21st century it changed again, but in the Midwest the basic farm diet is the same as it was in the early 1800s.

Quote:
Spoiled much? Ever been truly hungry without the means to have decent food? But, "oh, it's not (insert the latest, trendiest restaurant) si I'm going to turn my nose up at it"! Oy friggin vey!! Sorry, but I detest pickiness or over smugness when it comes to food choices

Old 09-19-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Yeah, because saying something looks like **** is the same as saying I wouldn't eat it if I were truly starving.
I guess I'm correct. You're spoiled, overly picky or both. I appreciate your honesty; and I guess you haven't ever been truly starving-which is good. I have first hand stories of WWII survivors sharing how hungry they were and what they ate to avoid starvation. Makes the casserole look like something Mr. Charlie Trotter whipped up These WWII survivors taught me to eat what was served and eat what you took. This has served me well and has helped me never insult the food offered to me by any of my hosts or hostesses If my Mom served that, or something similar, #1) It would taste great. #2) If you snubbed it or made a disparaging comment about it, you would never set foot in our home again. Granted a dish like that would be a weekday offering when Mom didn't expect guests, but still.......

Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 PM

Now regarding other Midwestern Cities.............I have traveled to almost all of them. I really like this area the best. But at this current time in my life, assuming I could find equal or better work,I would pick Madison as first choice. Smaller scale than Chicago. Balance of liberals and conservatives. Good energy due to State government and UM. Great place to be a cyclist. Many excellent State parks nearby, closer to more heavily wooded, natural areas. I like the Twin Cities for some of the same reasons I like Madison but wouldn't move there or anywhere else winter would be longer. Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City as well as smaller areas like the Quad Cities or even Carbondale area would be worth considering.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:01 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,347,136 times
Quote:
Now regarding other Midwestern Cities.............I have traveled to almost all of them. I really like this area the best. But at this current time in my life, assuming I could find equal or better work,I would pick Madison as first choice. Smaller scale than Chicago. Balance of liberals and conservatives. Good energy due to State government and UM. Great place to be a cyclist. Many excellent State parks nearby, closer to more heavily wooded, natural areas. I like the Twin Cities for some of the same reasons I like Madison but wouldn't move there or anywhere else winter would be longer. Des Moines, Omaha, Kansas City as well as smaller areas like the Quad Cities or even Carbondale area would be worth considering.
I really love Madison, but it is not what I would call a "balance of liberals and conservatives."

Old 09-19-2012, 05:05 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,347,136 times
Even though I've only been in Chicago for a few months, and I would love to stay here forever, I would contemplate moving to a few other cities. My career could take me to places like Madison, Ann Arbor, or Champaign, but I could also imagine living in Milwaukee or Minneapolis. To stay in Chicago would be my #1 choice, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago