Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:34 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Rich and trust fund = yuppie, regardless of how they dress. It might be a slightly different style than mainstream fratty LP/LV, but it's the same demographic.
The whole 'trust fund' baby myth makes me laugh. Do you actually know anyone with a trust fund who doesn't work? I'm a big time yuppie and know a bunch of wealthy people but not a single one who lives the Billy Madison lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 07:55 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If by Hipster they mean professionals who drive BMW's and wear suits, then yes, Wicker Park is hipsterville, but so is Lincoln Park.

Let me guess, the article had Haight-Ashburry as the new hot spot for young kids in San Fran?? Acapulco as a hot new vacation destination?
Ha. Ironically, they actually got Austin's spot correct with East Austin. Given their inclusion of WP, W'Burg, and Silver Lake, I figured they'd have gone with South Austin to stay consistent with their 90's / early 2000's approach.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
The whole 'trust fund' baby myth makes me laugh. Do you actually know anyone with a trust fund who doesn't work? I'm a big time yuppie and know a bunch of wealthy people but not a single one who lives the Billy Madison lifestyle.
Please show me where I said anything about anyone not working or living a Billy Madison lifestyle. I wasn't even putting down anyone with trust funds. To answer your completely off-topic and unrelated question, though, yes I have known people with trust funds who didn't work.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
I dont think we heard it in common parlance until the last 10 years or so. I remember an episode of Seinfeld in the mid-90's, where Seinfeld referred to Kramer as a "goofy hipster". It was a relatively obscure term until the last 10 years or so, although the word "hip" was common back in the 60's.
Ha, LeftyTrav beat me to it on the "hipster doofus" thing, that is definitely the first time I heard it, so Chicago was likely just behind NYC in terms of slang.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Rich and trust fund = yuppie, regardless of how they dress. It might be a slightly different style than mainstream fratty LP/LV, but it's the same demographic.
Trustafarian is the nom de plum for the folks who dress down as if they are struggling and poor but who in fact have a sizeable nest egg (or dad's credit card).

Long before hipsters were Deadheads, who were preceded by beatniks. You can get a great laugh out of terms in here:

Skeleton Key: David Shenk,Stephen L Silberman: 9780385474023: Amazon.com: Books

And I'm with Drover, WP was gentrified when Around the Coyote jumped the shark into the mainstream, now that turkey is done as far as being irrelevant to youth culture, put a fork in it already.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
I saw this and thought, "If they pick Silverlake, Los Angeles, I'm going to die from laughter." Oh dear... Also, would it kill someone to make a list without the crappy slideshow? Just give me the list already. Nobody feels like clicking through 20 different pages.
What is funny is that a lot of "hipsters" consider Silver Lake to be the "east side" of Los Angeles.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:20 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
TLong before hipsters were Deadheads, who were preceded by beatniks.

Let me understand...

The Beatniks came first -> then the Deadheads were around -> and now we have hipsters?

Dude, your understanding of 20th century counterculture movements is horrendous!

http://www.divinecaroline.com/33/840...ltures-decades

Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Let me understand...

The Beatniks came first -> then the Deadheads were around -> and now we have hipsters?

Dude, your understanding of 20th century counterculture movements is horrendous!

Hipster Countercultures Through the Decades - DivineCaroline
Not particularly sure how that disproves my admittedly-generalized point, I used Deadheads simply as their crowd is representative of those handed the torch by the beatniks, read the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test if you want a more in-depth history.

Anyhoo, "Hepcat" was slang, and positive at that - "hipster" is generally considered to be a condescending term by anyone who is actually remotely hip.

Take the word "Hippie" - that was an establishment/media term denigrating people that called themselves Freaks.

Haven't you ever read the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?

try again... I think your article actually better understands the issue than you do.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Not particularly sure how that disproves my admittedly-generalized point, I used Deadheads simply as their crowd is representative of those handed the torch by the beatniks, read the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test if you want a more in-depth history.

Anyhoo, "Hepcat" was slang, and positive at that - "hipster" is generally considered to be a condescending term by anyone who is actually remotely hip.

Take the word "Hippie" - that was an establishment/media term denigrating people that called themselves Freaks.

Haven't you ever read the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers?

try again... I think your article actually better understands the issue than you do.
OK I was wrong to use the word horrendous... my reaction was based on the beats->deadheads comment - which i see you understand is wrong. The Beats were 50's until mid 60's and the hippies took off where the beats end. I am not a fan of the Grateful Dead and don't feel they were all that important, they were just a band that was in SF during the peak of the hippy era and obtained a devoted following, but the term Deadhead, to me, is only a follower of the GD, not always a hippy. And I have read Thom Wolfes Electric Kool Aid Acid test already thanks. Tim Leary was an important figure for the movement as was Kesey.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
OK I was wrong to use the word horrendous... my reaction was based on the beats->deadheads comment - which i see you understand is wrong. The Beats were 50's until mid 60's and the hippies took off where the beats end. I am not a fan of the Grateful Dead and don't feel they were all that important, they were just a band that was in SF during the peak of the hippy era and obtained a devoted following, but the term Deadhead, to me, is only a follower of the GD, not always a hippy. And I have read Thom Wolfes Electric Kool Aid Acid test already thanks. Tim Leary was an important figure for the movement as was Kesey.
Not wrong at all, just incomplete. But not as incomplete as your understanding of the counterculture and the Grateful Dead's role, clearly.

If you read the Electric Kool Aid Acid Test than you understand that Ken Kesey & the Merry Pranksters included beatniks like Neal Cassady, who spent lots of time hanging out with the Grateful Dead, and Owsley as cranking out the LSD that spread the scene like wildfire.

Owsley funded the Grateful Dead, who were essentially the "house band" of the counterculture.

The Grateful Dead were basically the ambassadors, taking the counterculture to every state in America and around the world.

Not to mention the Dead and every other "hep cat" worth their salt was taking cues from the truly-hip black jazz scene.

For your utter blasphemies regarding the anti-establishment movement as a whole I sentence you to 2 Burning Man festivals and a national Rainbow Gathering, where you must hang out with the "A Camp" freaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago