Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:41 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,991 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern NJ, near NYC, currently attending school, majoring in criminal justice. I moved here a yr ago from Portland, OR, originally from Moscow, Russia. I like the whole east coast vibe, but I don't like NYC. NJ is cool, but the part close to NYC is wack, and there is no point for me to stay here long term and pay premium just to be close to NYC, which I don't use that much for all it has to offer cuz I don't like mass transit and to drive there and back is hella hard even though I am so close. I don't like this whole island geography. People say this a lot, and it's true-NYC is overrated and it's just too much. I've been researching other cities to move to when I'm done with school. I heard good things bout Chi from people I know personally who live there. The main thing that would bother me I guess would be the location, mainly for the lack of ocean, but I'm open minded so I'd be willing to overlook it if other things click. Thinking of it in bigger terms, it won't bother me as much cuz the main things that matter for me and for most average people are the typa things that routinely affect your QOL every day instead of just 10 days a yr for example, where you actually gon take advantage of NYC unique amenities, such as broadway shows, museums, etc or maybe even less often. A good example right now would be-I don't have a washer/dryer in my apt so that affects my QOL. I do my laundry way more often than go to museums or nightclubs so that's the typa sh1t I'm talking bout. Having said that, I don't want an overkill and move to NC or whatever like some people round here, I still want a big city life or be close enough to it in the burbs.

Either way:
What's the Chi vibe like? Is it way diff from east coast, esp NE?
Is Chi cleaner overall than NYC or just as dirty and ghetto?
I suspect there is a lot of diversity so is it easy to adjust for newcomers?
How's day to day QOL? (taxes, roads, crime, corruption, etc)
Is there good nightclubs, esp black ones?
Is the summer humidity just as bad as here? (don't care about the cold, I actually like cold)
I like burbs too so looking at the whole metro area-any other pros/cons?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 08:00 PM

29 posts, read 39,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Much more laid back than NY/NJ, much less laid back than OR. In my opinion, Chicagoans walk a nice line between having the taste to appreciate a world class city and being pretentious asshats.

Quote:
Corresponding areas are cleaner. E.g. Lincoln Park is cleaner than UWS.

Quote:
Taxes are low compared to NY/NJ. Even at 5% IL has one of the lower state taxes in the country, and Chicago has no city income tax like NYC. Sales taxes are on the higher ed, but everything still costs a lot less than it does in NY/NJ, especially housing. Housing is a LOT more affordable because we don't have as many stupid historical preservation regulations/rent controls like NYC.

Crime is about average for a city of the size. On a per-capita basis, it's not as safe as NY or LA, but pretty comparable to Houston, and safer than Philadelphia, etc.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 PM

^Kul
Could I get a quick rundown of some of the good n'hoods so I can research the real estate? Is there a lot of new construction?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Apartments wont be $3,000 a month like in NYC. Winters are tolerable and not too bad, we dont get the Noreaster, we got the nice Lake Michigan here, transportation around the city is good, its just like D.C. if you ever been to D.C., and we have stores like you have in NJ and restaurants like Pot Belly for sandwiches, and its pretty clean. and we do not have 5 story walkups here, usually there are elevators in apartment buildings over 4 stories (but there are some elevator buildings in 3 story high bldgs, but nothing like you see in NY (movies I dont think we have clubs where we have those NY club kids where they were those real wild makeup and outfits .. but that might haver been the 80's, haha but as I remember there were some NY flavor in clubs like on Lake Street and Wells..

Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
Don't let the lack of ocean bother you.

After having been to Hawaii, The Keys, Bahamas & Thailand, I wasn't expecting much from Lake Michigan. But I have to say, I was truly shocked how nice it was. The water felt great, was blue with natural sand shores and endless (Lake Michigan is huge!). I was surprised there were also waves--eventually they got so large they closed the beach. My friend had never experienced being "swept up in a wave". For me, it brought back great memories.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
You mention that lack of ocean would bother you, but heres the deal. We have Lake Michigan, and it's a huge lake. Chicago has beaches too (look up Oak Street beach, north avenue beach, montrose beach). My ex gf is from Hawaii, and had never been to Chicago. I wad showing her pictures of these areas and she said "wait...thats a lake!? That looks like an ocean." So really, between Nyc and chicago, not terribly different for that. Even the water temps aren't that huge of a difference.

About neighborhoods, nowhere near as expensive as NYC on average. I live downtown and my place according to my Manhattan friends would cost $4000/month there. In chicago its less than $1400/month. The hot/good neighborhoods are River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, logan square, bucktown, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Square, South Loop, streeterville, hyde park, pilsen, bridgeport, chinatown, uptown, andersonville, edgewater, etc...

Most areas are clean too. A lot better smelling than nyc in parts. There are dirty areas here too but they are usually in the ghetto, or around since old crap businesses, or in parts where a bunch of college ishbars are

Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You mention that lack of ocean would bother you, but heres the deal. We have Lake Michigan, and it's a huge lake. Chicago has beaches too (look up Oak Street beach, north avenue beach, montrose beach). My ex gf is from Hawaii, and had never been to Chicago. I wad showing her pictures of these areas and she said "wait...thats a lake!? That looks like an ocean." So really, between Nyc and chicago, not terribly different for that. Even the water temps aren't that huge of a difference.

About neighborhoods, nowhere near as expensive as NYC on average. I live downtown and my place according to my Manhattan friends would cost $4000/month there. In chicago its less than $1400/month. The hot/good neighborhoods are River North, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, logan square, bucktown, Ukranian Village, Lincoln Square, South Loop, streeterville, hyde park, pilsen, bridgeport, chinatown, uptown, andersonville, edgewater, etc...

Most areas are clean too. A lot better smelling than nyc in parts. There are dirty areas here too but they are usually in the ghetto, or around since old crap businesses, or in parts where a bunch of college ishbars are
DAMN, how come Chi is so affordable? Is there some kinda catch? I pay $1200 in suburban NJ about 45 min train commute to Manhattan in an old ass bullsht building without any amenities (like w/d, central air, parking, etc)
and I realize Lake Michigan is huge, but an ocean is still an ocean, salt water and everything, but it's whatever to me now
is there a sizable Russian community? Are Ukrainians friendly towards Russians in the Ukrainian Village?

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 09-23-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 08:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
The definition of Chi: The vital force believed in Taoism and other Chinese thought to be inherent in all things. The unimpeded circulation of chi and a balance of its negative and positive forms in the body are held to be essential to good health in traditional Chinese medicine.

[Chinese (Mandarin) qì, air, spirit, energy of life.]

Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Here is my response:

Chicago has many vibes as it has many sub populations and different neighborhoods and people. Pretty much anything you want you can find here. Overall, I would say it has an urban big city type of vibe, and it has many neighborhoods that are tree shaded with old buildings and cozy abodes. You can find cultural things, sophisticated areas and hipster enclave, also family and working class places too. It also has lots of bad areas too.

Chicago is one of the cleanest large cities you will find. Yes there are places dirty and ghetto but there probably will be no reason to ever go into these areas. The downtown is world class and clean and the nicer neighborhoods are mostly clean as well not that there are not some problems. Years ago people would say Toronto was so clean, cleaner than Chicago but now when I go there, I note that Chicago seems much cleaner to me than Toronto.

I suspect there is a lot of diversity so is it easy to adjust for newcomers?
There is a lot of diversity in Chicago as it is a melting pot and landing spot for immigrants and it has been since its existance. Whether new comers will adjust depends on a lot.

Quality of life depends on a lot of things...taxes can be high but not any higher than other urban areas. The road and transportation systems are good but there is a lot of rush hour traffic, road construction zones, and pot holes. Corruption exists, last two governors went to jail. Most of us are not directly affected by the corruption on a day to day basis but it does waste our tax money and causes the state not to operate as effectively as it could. Crime can be a problem especially in certain areas. If you live in a good area, have a good job, friends, etc. life can be very good. If not then you may not have a very good quality of life.

Is there good nightclubs, esp black ones?
Do not know much about this topic. You do have to be careful about the areas you visit some may not be safe.
Is the summer humidity just as bad as here? (don't care about the cold, I actually like cold)
Sadly I have nothing good to say about this. Most of the year is okay but July is really hot in my book. This year temps were near or at a hundred degrees. Not much humidity just hot and dry. Most summer are humid. Fortunately this time passes quickly. Sun shines here a lot and comes up early in the morning.

I like burbs too so looking at the whole metro area-any other pros/cons?

There are many nice suburbs in the Chicago area. Some are quite upscale and beautiful, others are just nice and of course it ranges down from that. I would say the really nice upscale areas compare very favorably to any in the country. By the way there are a lot of Russians in the suburbs particularly. Many live in the northern suburbs like Wheeling or Northbrook, Skokie and the like. There are Russian nightclubs.

By the way you will not miss the ocean much at all as we have Lake Michigan. In my book better than the ocean. No sharks, no jellyfish and no salty water. Id much rather swim in Lake Michigan any day.

By the way, most buildings have laundry facilities in the basement. There are numerous laundromats in Chicago and some have drop off service and will actually do your laundy for you. If you rent a condo many of these have a washer dryer in them. Many places have air conditioning too. If not you can always buy a window unit they are pretty cheap. Parking can be a problem. There is street parking but sometimes you have to drive around quite a bit to find a place. Most suburban areas have parking no problem (except watch out for Oak Park).

Last edited by ToriaT; 09-23-2012 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: error

Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM

403 posts, read 929,486 times
I would also add a nod to Lake Michigan. I lived on the eastern seaboard before moving here, and the water in Lake Michigan is actually prettier IMO (at least compared to most 'east coast' beaches).

A lot of people ask "What does Chicago offer that NYC doesn't". Lake Michigan would be my answer. It's truly an inland ocean with turquoise blue waters in the summer, and easily accessible from the urban core of the city. Remarkable really. Pair that with the Chicago skyline? Forget it. I'd say that Chicago is one of the most spectacular waterfront cities IN THE WORLD. No doubt in my mind.

There are great recreational getaways and harbor towns to be found in nearby MI and WI. Also the further north you go, the prettier they get. Beautiful places in Northern Michigan in particular (The Upper Peninsula, Sleeping Bear Dunes, etc). Both very scenic states IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago