Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,750 times

Advertisements

I know someone thinking of moving to the Hilliard Towers while looking for jobs in the city. She only plans to live there temporarily, but she's in her mid 50's and comes from a pretty small town. How safe is this area? I know that Chinatown (just to the west) is relatively safe, but I don't know how it is east of the red line.

I've already warned her not to venture out on the red line at night (especially south of Cermak), or to wander around much at all for that matter.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 08:51 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
My understanding is that the Hiliard Towers themselves (which are a public housing project) are the main reason people used to say it was dangerous to go east of the tracks from Chinatown. With the development of the South Loop over the past 5-10 years, the area is considered to be much safer. I'm not sure about the towers themselves, except that I know they were remodeled a few years ago and a lot of senior citizens appear to live there.

I don't think she needs to worry about taking the Red Line or walking around the South Loop area unless she's extremely naive.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
My understanding is that the Hiliard Towers themselves (which are a public housing project) are the main reason people used to say it was dangerous to go east of the tracks from Chinatown. With the development of the South Loop over the past 5-10 years, the area is considered to be much safer. I'm not sure about the towers themselves, except that I know they were remodeled a few years ago and a lot of senior citizens appear to live there.

I don't think she needs to worry about taking the Red Line or walking around the South Loop area unless she's extremely naive.
Hilliard is for seniors, there is nothing scary about them.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
It's not the Hillard homes that are the problem, it is/was the Harold Ickes project across the street from Hillard. I think they were completely demolished a few years ago.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
It's not the Hillard homes that are the problem, it is/was the Harold Ickes project across the street from Hillard. I think they were completely demolished a few years ago.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,740 times
The Hillards are rented out to senior citizen but most of them have grandchildren living w/ them. Which is what makes them dangerous. A 22 year old co-worker lives there. China town is not safe either, do not walk alone when it is dark out I know a couple of people who have been robbed as early as 6pm at gun point. I consider Anything past Roosevelt road dangerous! Ive been in the area for 15years very ghetto

Old 09-13-2014, 03:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieW1980 View Post
The Hillards are rented out to senior citizen but most of them have grandchildren living w/ them. Which is what makes them dangerous. A 22 year old co-worker lives there. China town is not safe either, do not walk alone when it is dark out I know a couple of people who have been robbed as early as 6pm at gun point. I consider Anything past Roosevelt road dangerous! Ive been in the area for 15years very ghetto
Chinatown not safe? You have got to be kidding me. It's not the #1 safest part of town but it's far from *dangerous.* Those apartments aren't even considered part of Chinatown and nothing south of Roosevelt is safe? Really? So Mount Greenwood is not safe now with their 0 homicides in over a decade, or the areas near Midway which are all safe? Hyde Park? Bridgeport?

Last edited by marothisu; 09-13-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 05:31 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
There are more metrics to crime than just homicides. Chinatown definitely has some characters outside of the mall and Wentworth

Last edited by TBideon; 09-13-2014 at 05:43 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 05:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
There are more metrics to crime than just homicides. Chinatown definitely has some characters outside of the mall and Wentworth
Obviously there's more metrics, but do you seriously think that an area with 0 homicides is going to magically be rife with violent assaults? Chances are no, and anybody that knows the city would know that there's plenty of areas south of Roosevelt that aren't necessarily dangerous. The areas on the SW side closer to Midway are not really unsafe.

Also, I've never once felt unsafe in Chinatown itself and I've been there alone at all hours of the day. I will agree that there are some characters hanging out in a few areas, but I've never been bothered. I've never once thought twice about going to Chinatown because I thought it was unsafe. If you (by you, I mean the reader) think Chinatown is really unsafe, then you're probably a sheltered person.

Furthermore, looking at the Chinatown area north of I-55, the counts for 2013:
* Assaults: 11
* Robbery: 29
* Homicide: 0
* Battery: 47
* Narcotics: 10
* Motor Vehicle Theft: 17
* Theft: 233

Last edited by marothisu; 09-13-2014 at 05:59 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Anyone who thinks Chinatown proper isn't safe hasn't spent much time there. The area east of the train station, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: