Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 04:32 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml953636 View Post
I received a $100.00 red light violation. I mailed the paper back requesting a hearing. I guess I was to late I just received a letter saying I owe $200.00 now as it doubled. And in the letter it says more fines are coming if I don't pay it in 6 days. What!?!? does this keep increasing until I go to jail? because I don't plan on paying it I was not driving.
The city doesn't care who was driving.

You won't go to jail but your car can potentially get booted in the future if you have more unpaid tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Don't pay. They will send you multiple threatening letters from a third party firm, but it isn't referred to your credit rating nor can they do anything to you until the third ticket.

But if you don't pay just be sure you don't get two more tickets. Then they can get you. But they can't touch your credit rating nor boot your car until you have 3 outstanding tickets.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:29 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Borrow some money. Get a cash advance on your credit card to pay. Actually I think you can pay by credit card.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
If it can't hurt your driver's license or your credit report, then I imagine the only thing it can hurt is the car itself by license plate. "We don't know who drove this car, but we do know what car it was."

Old 10-13-2015, 02:18 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Are you sure it can't hurt your credit? A collections account looks pretty bad.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:00 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Not unless you have three unpaid tickets. Then it goes to collections. You can also get the boot from the meter maids once you have three.

I have two unpaid tickets with the City of Chicago, BTW. Will never pay, as one is bogus and the second I never received the ticket until getting a notice in the mail weeks later and I no longer live in the area.

I also have basically perfect credit. Did my research and figured out that it doesn't go to collections until you have three outstanding tickets.

But if I get a third ticket next time I'm driving in Chicago (I'm in town once or twice a year, and usually driving), then, yeah, I will pay the next ticket. I just have to stay below three.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM

76 posts, read 95,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Not unless you have three unpaid tickets. Then it goes to collections. You can also get the boot from the meter maids once you have three.

I have two unpaid tickets with the City of Chicago, BTW. Will never pay, as one is bogus and the second I never received the ticket until getting a notice in the mail weeks later and I no longer live in the area.

I also have basically perfect credit. Did my research and figured out that it doesn't go to collections until you have three outstanding tickets.

But if I get a third ticket next time I'm driving in Chicago (I'm in town once or twice a year, and usually driving), then, yeah, I will pay the next ticket. I just have to stay below three.
Same here - I have one that I didn't even know about until a year later, it went from $60 to $244. Never paid it.

Recently got two tickets and I paid them both immediately.

Got another one and decided to let it sit there - from now on I'll be more careful and if I get a third one, pay it down.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Drover hasn't posted in 7 weeks. Anyone know what happened to him?

Old 06-06-2016, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times
NOLA101; can you provide more details or preferably citations of where it You found that it takes at least 3 outstanding unpaid violations before it is referred over to a collections agency?

My very recent violation says on the back that:

An unpaid ticket eventually turns into a determination, which later turns into a final determination if still unpaid. "If you accumulate any three (3) or more final determinations or two (2) that are at least a year old, any vehicle you own may be booted and impounded until all fines, costs, and penalties have been paid. After ten (10) parking or compliance or a combination of five (5) or more unpaid automated speed enforcement system of automated traffic violation final determinations, the city will seek the suspension of your driving privileges."

my situation: I have only one current ticket. Obviously the ticket spells out that if I don't pay it, I won't get booted, impounded, or have my license at risk of being suspended.

my other concerns, though, are (a) can I experience problems with renewing registration on my vehicle as a result of this unpaid fine, and (b) the collection agency on my back and my credit score suffering as a result of this unpaid fine.

I would appreciate any input!

Old 06-13-2016, 04:53 PM

459 posts, read 475,105 times
I'd mail in a picture of myself writing out a check to them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago