Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 PM

20 posts, read 158,129 times

Advertisements

I have to go down to elizabeth to get fingerprinted and everything but right now I live in the western burbs, and a of my identification is still listed in there. Will I still be able to get hired with CPS even though im not a Chicago citizen at the moment? Will they turn me away at Elizabeth with my identification being addressed outside of the city?

My current lease is up on Halloween so im already planning on moving to Chicago but can i get hired while im not living there? I've read the residency policy and it says i would have up to 6 months to move to the city,is this still the case? It also mentions a waiver that some current employees would have to get. Do the new hirers hat live outside of the city have to get that waiver upon hire or do they just have the 6 months to move?

thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 03:58 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
Default Proof of residency is required upon hiring NOT application...

The process of evaluation of your "eligibility for hiring" is independant of your NEED to have an Chicago address after hiring.

There is no "waiver" granted for first time hires. There is a requirement that you submit proof of residency (lease, utility bills) for an address inside Chicago within six months of when they hire you. It can take an indeterminate amount of time for the proof of residency to be investigated but if you go by the hiring info from the CPS website it is safe bet that should you be hired there is no worry that you do not have everything lined up on "day one" and as long you have all the documents turned by the six month deadline your are golden --- "All employees hired on or after November 20, 1996, are required to be actual residents of the City of Chicago within six months of beginning employment with the Board."

If you do NOT want to live in Chicago and want to apply for a waiver that is a whole other option, but the liklihood of one being granted / not renewed or extended is a total crap shoot...

Old 09-22-2012, 04:05 PM

thanks, would they turn me away at elizabeth because of my id being outside of chicago?

going by the cps site it says if hired you have 6 months to obtain residence, so i figured everything should be ok for me if im to get hired. Im moving in a month anyway so the 6 months would be plenty of time to get situated. I dont need the waiver just from reading it i thought i might've needed it.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,484,674 times
Default Not a problem...

The application process is clear: https://hrportal.cps.k12.il.us/cs/cp...choolBased.pdf

The need for residency is after hiring.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:11 PM

thanks but for whatever reason that link doesnt work for me

Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM

683 posts, read 4,619,056 times
Good luck. That office on Elizabeth was one of my worst Chicago experiences!

Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Good luck. That office on Elizabeth was one of my worst Chicago experiences!
thanks what happened? i've heard of the long waits

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 PM

683 posts, read 4,619,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
thanks what happened? i've heard of the long waits
Not exaggerating...4 hour wait for me to sign a piece of paper and hand it back to someone. Every employee I encountered or overheard was incredibly rude.

Last edited by Mel2882; 09-24-2012 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: spelling mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: