Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 07:03 AM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times

Advertisements

My current lease is up the last day of November.

I moved here a few months ago and took over someone else's lease-6 months were left on the lease. I thought it was a good idea since I'm new to the city/state/region and had no clue where I'd want to live. Only, I have a few issues now that the lease will be up soon:

I live in the South Loop. I like the building I'm in, and would like to stay here just for the sake of not having to moving again so soon. The major issue is, the lease I have is between the tenant and I....not the property and I. There is a waiting list to get into this property and has been for a while.

So. I was thinking...should I approach the property, make them aware that I've been living/paying the rent here and thatI 'd be willing to sign a new lease? Seems risky, as I think they could throw me out if I tell them about this sub leasing situation, and I wouldn't want to get the tenant in trouble whose lease I took over.

Otherwise, I'm back to square one looking for a place again. I'd like to stay close to Northwestern (downtown), but my budget of $1100/$1200 makes it hard to find a place it seems...even a studio. If anyone has any recommendations on ways to find studios private owners might be renting out for around this price, pm me. Otherwise I was going to start checking out other neighborhoods on the weekends, mainly Wicker Park, Bucktown and Hyde Park. I don't have a car now so not sure which sides of town outside of the CBD are best to move to considering I'm not driving anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Are you sure it's an illegal sub-lease? I would have probably assumed the landlord knew the previous tenant had sublet it and that it been done with their permission.

if it's really illegal and you know it, I would start looking for a new place -- there's absolutely zero reason you'll have trouble finding something to rent -- especially a studio! -- for $1,200 a month. Though I will say finding a place to rent in November can definitely be tricky.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:26 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
You can always ask the landlord. That way you wont' have to worry about being caught. If you do get caught, they'd probably rightfully so - kick you out for being there without their knowledge.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
I'd probably looking for a new place if it's "illegal." Hyde Park is nice, but remember public transit to downtown there semi sucks. You'd either have to take the bus which takes a little while or you'd have to go East near the lake to take the Metra Electric up to the Loop or whatever.

I would say that yes, check out Wicker Park and Bucktown, but also check out other areas like some parts of Lincoln Park (like around the Armitage stop or Diversey on the Brown Line) and Lakeview. Lincoln Park takes like 10 minutes to get to the loop by train and Lakeview takes like 15, sometimes 20 depending on where you're coming from, but not bad. There are other neighborhoods, but yeah. I'd explore those hoods this weekend..

The Southport area is another one to check out (Southport brown line)

Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Are you sure it's an illegal sub-lease? I would have probably assumed the landlord knew the previous tenant had sublet it and that it been done with their permission.

if it's really illegal and you know it, I would start looking for a new place -- there's absolutely zero reason you'll have trouble finding something to rent -- especially a studio! -- for $1,200 a month. Though I will say finding a place to rent in November can definitely be tricky.

It definitely wasn't discussed with the landlord/property management.

I've been looking on Craisglist and I can't seem to find any $1200 studios within 2 miles (my preference) of Northwestern.

Why is November a tricky month? I assume because most people are ending leases/moving out in the spring/summer?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
It definitely wasn't discussed with the landlord/property management.

I've been looking on Craisglist and I can't seem to find any $1200 studios within 2 miles (my preference) of Northwestern.

Why is November a tricky month? I assume because most people are ending leases/moving out in the spring/summer?
It's certainly partially because of that, but also Chicago rental laws are so tenant friendly that it's very difficult to kick out non-payers in the winter. Some scammers and general low lifes know this and move in with no intention to ever pay and will get to stay until March, on the landlord's dime. All this, of course, according to my old landlords who wouldn't allow subleases between November and February, so take it with at least a grain of salt.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Go to the other neighborhoods before you decide 100% on staying around Northwestern downtown. Trust me. I was in the same boat. I still live where I do downtown, but I have definite plans on moving out to Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square, or somewhere like that. When I first moved here, I wouldn't have imagined that, but now after knowing what's in those areas..it makes sense.

That's my advice right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago