Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
Even with several follow up posts, you were not really able to justify the analogy to Nazi soldiers. Destroying pot is not barbaric or murderous. The laws in Chicago are already becoming less stringent regarding weed.
I'm not against legalization necessarily, but seriously, what do you think the cops should have done? Sell it? Donate it?
Well, it's nice to know that you finally understood what I was saying three posts later.

My original post kept it short and simple. "Nazi soldiers were also just doing their job. So what?" The key to understanding my post was in the "so what?". So what if cops are just doing thier job? That's no justification.

"I've been at the mercy of men who were just following orders. Never again." -Magneto in the movie X-Men: First Class (referring to his experiences in the Holacoust).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I guess it depends on your understanding of the country's penal system.

I think you can make a bulletproof argument that the cop who arrests an 18 year old for weed is part of a system which can ultimately end with said 18 year old ending up in a state penitentiary and being subjected to forms of abuse that most civilized countries would call inhumane at least, torture at worst.

Does the cop who makes the arrest or the judge who hands down the sentence know what they are sentencing these non-violent offenders to? I think in many cases they do.

So in that sense, they are indeed just "doing their jobs," while also being part of the governmental machinery that results in punishment which in no way possible could be said fits the crime.
OK, jail sentences for someone not distributing and/or with small quantities are absurd. Especially since many instances of this are racially biased.
But the 18 year old can avoid issues by not participating in an illegal act and vote for representation that will change the laws. The main victims of the Nazi's were not doing anything illegal per se, they were just "being" Jewish and had no voice in changing their treatment.
I guess we have to disagree. I see the analogy as a BIG s t r e t c h. "The following orders" mantra of the Nazis went from harassment and escalated to death. is there a rash of death sentences for those convicted of pot crimes? ANd if you make the argument that it is getting worse, I would say no, it is getting better. Decriminalization, tickets instead of arrests and recognition by many that long sentences are overly harsh."the following orders" mantra is not leading into a downward spiral of personal rights and freedoms being eliminated!!
PS. And just as there are valid reasons for a drinking age of 18, IF pot is legalized, I certainly do not want to see it legally available to 18 year olds.

Last edited by cubssoxfan; 10-05-2012 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Perhaps it works both ways. The "following orders" analogy that Uzra followed up with between persecuting Jews and ending with death camps is a far cry from "following orders" ending with a traffic ticket or being jailed. Although, perhaps unfair, the individual still comes away with their life.

Nobody said or implied that the orders being followed were the same.

It's called an analogy. Did you really not learn this in school? Is it all the corn syrup from the hot dog ketchup? Please help us to help you.

The point was not about the severity of the consequences of the orders being followed. The point was that "doing your job" doesn't always mean the job you're doing is good. It was pointing out the flawed logic, not saying that cutting down pot plants is like killing Jews. This was readily apparent to everyone but you. Really, do you think anyone would think that? Nobody else seemed to besides you. C'mon, man. It's one thing to completely miss the point of something, but it's another thing to go on and on about it, highlighting your lack of awareness.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
The point was not about the severity of the consequences of the orders being followed. The point was that "doing your job" doesn't always mean the job you're doing is good. It was pointing out the flawed logic, not saying that cutting down pot plants is like killing Jews.
That is certainly how I read it.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post

Nobody said or implied that the orders being followed were the same.

It's called an analogy. Did you really not learn this in school? Is it all the corn syrup from the hot dog ketchup? Please help us to help you.

The point was not about the severity of the consequences of the orders being followed. The point was that "doing your job" doesn't always mean the job you're doing is good. It was pointing out the flawed logic, not saying that cutting down pot plants is like killing Jews. Really, do you think anyone would think that? Nobody else seemed to besides you. C'mon, man.
Quote:
My original post kept it short and simple. "Nazi soldiers were also just doing their job. So what?" The key to understanding my post was in the "so what?". So what if cops are just doing thier job? That's no justification.

"I've been at the mercy of men who were just following orders. Never again." -Magneto in the movie X-Men: First Class (referring to his experiences in the Holacoust).
Well then simply leave out the Nazis! Don't go there. Simply say
Quote:
So what if cops are just doing thier job? That's no justification.
And yes, it is justification in this instance. So the cop shouldn't cut down the illegal pot plants because a portion of the population disagrees with the law? And then the cop shouldn't issue a speeding ticket because a majority feel that doing 15 over on Lake Shore Drive is OK? VERY slippery slope!
There was a correction that the criticism, real or implied, rightfully should have been directed at the judicial and legislative. But for the legit, LEO doing their job to be criticized for doing their job? And then be compared with the slippery slope of Naziism where the perpetrators replied, "I was just doing my job" Well maybe you've been exposed to too much second hand smoke

Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
"The following orders" mantra of the Nazis went from harassment and escalated to death. is there a rash of death sentences for those convicted of pot crimes?
Prisons, Prisoners and HIV/AIDS

Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Well then simply leave out the Nazis! Don't go there. Simply say And yes, it is justification in this instance. So the cop shouldn't cut down the illegal pot plants because a portion of the population disagrees with the law? And then the cop shouldn't issue a speeding ticket because a majority feel that doing 15 over on Lake Shore Drive is OK? VERY slippery slope!
There was a correction that the criticism, real or implied, rightfully should have been directed at the judicial and legislative. But for the legit, LEO doing their job to be criticized for doing their job? And then be compared with the slippery slope of Naziism where the perpetrators replied, "I was just doing my job" Well maybe you've been exposed to too much second hand smoke
You misunderstood the original post. Just leave it at that, you're just tilting at windmills right now.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
And what point is this supposed to make?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
And what point is this supposed to make?
Just being in prison means you are being exposed to HIV - which is a killer.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM

New pot law hasn't ended grass gap | The Bleader

And in the comments, Mick Dumke nails it like Snoop in the Wire:

"Seriously, one of my questions is whether some people should be busted for a crime that's not considered a crime for others. Another is whether people should be arrested for supplying something that used by millions of people in mainstream America. A third is whether the gangs would be the gangs without the black market created by current policies."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago