Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That you had to find something studying ecstacy and marijuana when no one here even vaguely brought up X is telling.
I'm going to guess he didn't read past the first paragraph, if that.

What we need is an Internet browser filter that would prevent people from pasting links they haven't actually read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 12:21 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime101 View Post
If that wasn't enough, the owner said it's pretty much a requirement to smoke weed to work.
Cool story, bro.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:24 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,569 times
It's a long running story that PC's were developed by alcohol users, while Macs were developed by pot smokers. I don't know how true it is, probably it's more of a joke.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I would prefer not to go to banks, law firms or hospitals where the staff is stoned. Care to divulge some identities?
If you honestly don't recognize the difference between recreational substance use and doing one's job under the influence, that would explain your warped perspective. Do you believe that if anyone who works at the banks, law firms, and hospitals you go to ever drinks alcohol on their down time, it means they're drunk at work?

Honestly, Chet, across many, many threads now, I can't tell if you're using strawman arguments as an intentional troll technique, or if your sense of logic is truly this flawed. Which is it?

And yes, I can divulge identities of the businesses where some of the employees use alcohol or cannabis recreationally: It's called nearly all of them.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
If you honestly don't recognize the difference between recreational substance use and doing one's job under the influence, that would explain your warped perspective. Do you believe that if anyone who works at the banks, law firms, and hospitals you go to ever drinks alcohol on their down time, it means they're drunk at work?

Honestly, Chet, across many, many threads now, I can't tell if you're using strawman arguments as an intentional troll technique, or if your sense of logic is truly this flawed. Which is it?

And yes, I can divulge identities of the businesses where some of the employees use alcohol or cannabis recreationally: It's called nearly all of them.
As messed up as Chet's reasoning is, it's the same reasoning that has been used to justify drug testing in the workplace.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default And with good reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
As messed up as Chet's reasoning is, it's the same reasoning that has been used to justify drug testing in the workplace.
The fact is that even so called "casual users" of marijauna are committing a CRIMINAL ACT by the mere possession of the stuff. That says A LOT about the degree to which they hold themselves apart from THE LAW.

Further while I can enjoy a finely crafted micro-brew or estate bottled wine for its own flavor and the interaction is has with food as they are after all beverages made from food stuffs themselves, the mindset and behavior of all habitial marijuana users reflect that fact that is an addictive DRUG that builds up in ones organs and alters the neurologic pathways of users.

It is no mere coincidence that the increased violence of drug dealing street gangs coincides with the more widespread acceptance of the abuse of an illegal drug from which they derive a signficant portion of their income and the thought that the one might be able to stem of this violence by adopting the sham of medical marijuana is a lie. The sad reality is that the powerful forces that havve grown rich with illegal marijuana already are far ahead of anyone trying to stay on the "right side" of the law in this new era of stupid lawlessness: Medical Marijuana: California's Biggest Losers

Old 09-28-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Further while I can enjoy a finely crafted micro-brew or estate bottled wine for its own flavor and the interaction is has with food as they are after all beverages made from food stuffs themselves, the mindset and behavior of all habitial marijuana users reflect that fact that is an addictive DRUG that builds up in ones organs and alters the neurologic pathways of users.
Alcohol is a more addictive drug than marjuana.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:13 PM

203 posts, read 386,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter
It's a long running story that PC's were developed by alcohol users, while Macs were developed by pot smokers. I don't know how true it is, probably it's more of a joke.
I don't do either. Must be why I use Linux.

And regarding Chet's comment, I wouldn't want to do business with a bank, law firm or hospital where the employees were under the influence of any psychoactive substance either.

Many IT and creative firms bill on an hourly basis. What if there was less productivity per hour because the person performing the contracted services was stoned? Or even just held back by the residual effects of having smoked pot the night before working? Or for that matter, simply hung over?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Chet, what about towns with decriminalization in place (like Columbia, MO to use one example I'm familiar with) where possession of less than 35 grams is the same level of offense as a speeding ticket. Do you find those folks to be guilty of flouting the law in the same way? Is their offense somehow less egregious because they're not breaking the law any more than someone going 5 over?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Um, NO.

Look, there are hundreds of "high function" pot heads out there (probably on Ubuntu or some other hippy OS...) that put up sites that pretend to say that "xxxx is more addictive than marijuana" but ultimately that is stupid arguement. What matters is that marijuana use is addicitve / fosters a dependency both physiologically and in the psycho-emotional domain. That is a BAD thing.

I suppose it is a little like saying: "Which is worse, getting hit by a train carrying coal or an Amtrak ?" but the reality is my goal in reminding people of the harms of using any addictive substance is that willing STANDING IN ITS PATH OF DEVASTATION is gonna mess you up BUT GOOD and likely SPREAD AROUND SOME REALLY MESSY SPLATTER...

The facts regarding marijuana vs alcohol:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Alcohol is a more addictive drug than marjuana.
Alcohol dependence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fact is although 10% of the nation MAY at one point or another in their lives exhibit signs of "alcohol dependce" the RATE of true ADDICTION is not a problem -- The Dram, Volume 2(3) - Are Medications to Treat Alcohol Dependence Effective? - The Brief Addiction Science Information Source (BASIS)

Here is the graph that ought to be the wake-up call to the happy-go-lucky dopers that claim they don't want kids getting in on their party. Despite the fact that marijuana remains illegal for minors in all 50 states it is FAR AND AWAY the most common cause of minors being treated for addictions: Source: Marijuana addiction: MJ lobby vs. science | alcohol, tobacco and other drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago