Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:44 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You're right, the kid did not say which UT institution they are attending. Neither did they mention how far along they are in school, what sorts of grades they've racked up already, any internships they've done or what sorts of things they've done to distinguish themselves as the best darned finance major in the westen world.
Exactly.

Quote:
My experience is a little different. I know dozens of people whose resumes are stellar that have been jobless for months. My circle of friends includes folks that would have been retired by now had a few market realities not shrunk their savings dramatically as well as kids just starting out. There are flat out more qualified applicants there are jobs and employers have the luxury of being VERY choosey. If you don't have some edge you won't get a job. Period.
I agree, but it depends on the company with who you are applying. I mean as in are they more regional or do they not care? I too had classmates even with outstanding grades, but they did nothing outside of their classes to set themselves apart, and they couldn't find jobs in a year (but that has to do with the fact of where they were looking geographically. They could have easily gone elsewhere and been hired right away).

Quote:
I'm just trying to provide a little more balance / realism for the OP. Don't really want to slam the door on anybody-s dreams, just provide some info that may help the OP adjust their expectations...
IMO, the realism for the OP will come in a few areas. The first is how they're doing in school and what they're involved in outside of class. The second will come from company to company. There are no doubt companies that only hire locally or local kids. The best thing to do is look online for jobs and research the companies who are posting. You can get a sense for their hiring habits. If it's an international company with offices in a few countries or even states that are in a few regions of the US (i.e. Northeast, Midwest, and West), you are probably going to have a better chance of being hired by them than if some company only has offices in Chicago and/or Champaign, Dubuque, etc.

Quote:
There are probably some number of people that manage to leverage every online source of info and easily transition from a barely known school into a rare "management trainee" program. I just would not hold my breath thinking that is a slam dunk...
A lot of schools actually have internal job posting web-based applications. Companies always work with advisers on job opportunities and these jobs will be posted on these systems. A lot of universities have them now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 2,143 times
I'm from Miami and I secured a job with one of the Big 4 in Chicago, so I would say yes, it is very possible. Not to mention if you go to UT I'm pretty sure they have a highly coveted Accounting program.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr82692 View Post
OP, I dont know what your plans are, but I am also an accounting major at public Florida university, planning/hoping to move to Chicago post-MSA.

Are you planning on going into industry/private accounting or public accounting? This makes a HUGE difference. The massive public accounting firms (Big 4) have offices all across the nation (globe too for that matter). This makes transferring or starting in different markets much easier. If you are a strong candidate they are more able/willing to move you. Even if you have to start in Texas, the big 4 are good with transfers. Tell them your mom is moving to Chicago and you really want to be closer to her. As long as you have a solid reason, they are usually accommodating.

Industry/private accounting/finance, I cant tell you.
Do you go to FIU? If so, I am from the same university. Send me a PM if you want to find out information about my transition to Chicago.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 PM

241 posts, read 465,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1125 View Post
Do you go to FIU? If so, I am from the same university. Send me a PM if you want to find out information about my transition to Chicago.
Not from FIU, I'm a little more north, but I will definitely PM you anyway. Always love to heard first hand experience from people in situations like the one I'm considering.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,578 times
I go to UTEP. Doing fairly well since its first semester(core classes). No intership experience. Can anyone give advice on that?

I asked the same question in the Houston Forum. Looking for a good prospect in either Accounting,Finance,or Banking in a city with employment opportunities. Never said i want to slam dunk a Big 4 job in Chicago, but that would be nice. I am looking for advice, since its the Chicago forum...i had to ask.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I go to UTEP. Doing fairly well since its first semester(core classes). No intership experience. Can anyone give advice on that?

I asked the same question in the Houston Forum. Looking for a good prospect in either Accounting,Finance,or Banking in a city with employment opportunities. Never said i want to slam dunk a Big 4 job in Chicago, but that would be nice. I am looking for advice, since its the Chicago forum...i had to ask.
First semester of college? You have a little bit, but best to do well right away. You will be lucky to get an internship your first year as it almost never happens. Sophomore year you can get one, but not everyone does. More people do junior year, etc.

My advice is to do well in school, and also join a club or two (it shows employers that you can do well at your "job" and have a life outside of work .. since that's how life is done. If they have a finance club or whatever, then join it if you haven't already). Go to the career fairs and stuff and talk with the companies there. They will set up interviews for internships/jobs usually if you are "old enough" and your resume is good in their eyes. If not, then search online for companies and what not.

If you can get an internship with a company in Chicago even, it would be good for if you want a job here after school IMO. It will at least show you're familiar with Chicago and have worked in the industry here before. It might not happen, but you never know.

Also refine your resume with someone like a career adviser or what not. I mean it sounds like you're a freshman, so you don't need to do this now, but as you near the end of school, a good resume can go a little bit.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:22 PM

359 posts, read 549,494 times
I have a degree in Accountancy; here is my take:

Internships in the accounting degree path usually do not start until the Junior year or later. Its too early to look for that, but by all means, look for part time work as a book keeper or something similar so that you get good job experience right away that relates to your field. For me - I worked part time in the evenings at a large regional bank as a Proof Clerk. Now, that was 20 years ago, and technology has advanced and I dont know if banks use them anymore, or if its all automated, but that one job gave me huge credibility, because I had already "worked for a bank" and so when it came time to do the internship (which actually was a structured into the course work - you "got hired" and worked for two college quarters at different firms, and got credit for it...you didnt take any other classes those quarters), and then later on, as you were preparing to graduate, you were on file with this company and if you did well, were professional, on time, etc you got a call to get hired right after graduating. But like I said, this was 20 years ago and things may have changed. Of course, the on campus recruitment was there and that was always a good source of employment for my peers if they didnt get a call back.

Like others have said, focus on good grades, and on one or two extra curricular activities that you can put on your resume. One good thing was that there was an "accountancy-focused" fraternity; find out if they have a chapter at UTEP and then go with that if you can.

Mr Link Parker, CPA

Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,683 times
Hello all, I am currently attending Baruch in New York City (freshman), and I have just decided to switch my major from economics (job in investment banking) to accounting (job with Big 4). I have an option of moving to Chicago and am looking into it. Can anyone suggest a good school in the downtown area or close to downtown (the Loop). I am looking at UIC and Depaul. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago