Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:35 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,882,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
But where could that, and adequate parking possible be?
How much parking does a 2nd rate college basketball program require? Aren't most spectators going to walk to the arena (if in Lincoln Park)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,832,267 times
Maybe college basketball will change, but I find it impossible to watch. No one can make a 15-foot jumper, and they miss half of their free throws. It may be marginally more fun to watch in person, but I no longer watch college basketball on TV. The skill level is atrocious..

Old 10-02-2012, 07:12 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,559,339 times
the big east is done, depaul is a joke

Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
People should keep in mind DePaul moved to Rosemont Horizon-now-Allstate Arena after some spectacular seasons and teams. I did like Alumni Hall, but it just couldn't meet demand, and I don't think DePaul had another program(s) that justified building something new & huge.

Guessing that is still the case.

And I love college basketball for the same reason MassVt doesn't, I find it more interesting because you just can't assume guys will hit their free throws. Pro ball is now so formulaic (and dear god, do they even call traveling or double-dribble any more?) it gets kinda stale, although that said, a team with good chemistry like the Bulls is a joy to watch.

Speaking of, anyone remember this Phil classic quote (paraphrased, I'm sure this isn't 100% spot on)?

"They're called free throws because they are supposed to be a gift of free points, but they're called foul shots because of how we shoot them"

Old 10-02-2012, 09:56 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,453,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
While I loved the Blue Demons back when they recruited winning talent to their program I just don't see how a 12,000 seat stadium makes sense near McCormick Place or anywhere else...

DePaul, McPier discuss new arena
A new arena at/near McCormick Place makes sense, for reasons which also include events not associated with DePaul. For University purposes, though, I don't think a McCormick location will have a greater drawing impact than the Horizon. Return the play to campus. Stop worrying about what other people think of you or drawing huge crowds. Those days are over and the University doesn't seem interested in allocating time or resources to be 'major league.'

Old 10-02-2012, 10:40 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,188,164 times
Hey, since DePaul was kind enough to let Loyola use Alumni Gym in the 80's (the 84 team was a blast!) maybe Loyola could return the favor and let DePaul play some of their home games at Loyola's on campus facility! And if the Big East breaks up, just revive the old Midwestern City League. Lets see, you had: Marquette, St. Louis, Dayton, Xavier, Detroit, Butler, Loyola, no need to reinvite Oral Roberts and I think Evansville is happy in the MVC. Just invite DePaul and some of the other Catholic Universities from the Big East, Horizon and A-10 and you have quite a conference.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 AM

Is there a big rivalry between DePaul and Loyola?

i.e.---does anybody care?

Yes, I will give college basketball yet another try, but I'll remember that if I ever have a severe case of insomnia, then I'll be sure to turn on the local Big East basketball joust, sit back in my comfy chair, and await the arrival of a prolonged, deep sleep.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,188,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Is there a big rivalry between DePaul and Loyola?

i.e.---does anybody care?

Yes, I will give college basketball yet another try, but I'll remember that if I ever have a severe case of insomnia, then I'll be sure to turn on the local Big East basketball joust, sit back in my comfy chair, and await the arrival of a prolonged, deep sleep.
1) NO. Used to be when DePaul was very good and Loyola was good.
2) NO; until one or probably both become good again.
3) Good sleep technique; an uneventful baseball game on TV or a Bears game like the 1st half against the Rams work pretty well also.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:15 PM

For what it's worth:

I can't give you a link, but just type in "1970, bulls, warriers", and look for "Videos", and you should find a choice of 3 segments of an NBA game in the Bay Area in 1970, being broadcast by Bill King, who was the famous radio voice of the Oakland Raiders ("Holy Toledo"). It features Jerry Sloan, Chet Walker, Bob Love, Bobby Weiss and , of course, the monster Tom Boerwinkle at center. Great stuff..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago