Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:45 AM

241 posts, read 465,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You are definitely used to NYC prices. Chicago WAYYYYYY cheaper than NYC. $3000-$4000/month ...you can live anywhere here on that. The most expensive 1 bedroom rental I know in the entire city at least for buildings is $2800 a month, and the next highest is like $2500/month. I live downtown in a high rise with great views, private gym, and 24 hour door staff for just over $1300/month. If you wanted a brand new building with stainless steel appliances here, you could get it starting at $1600 or $1700/month.

My girlfriend used to have a 2 bedroom with a large living room in Lincoln Square for less than $1200/month. Hell, the building I'm in downtown, the 2 bedroom is like $2000/month.
That is awesome. I'm not positive I'm moving to Chicago yet, but at one point I was considering NYC instead, and I'm so glad I'm leaning towards Chicago now. It would be nice to be able to pay $1000/month in rent with a roommate and actually have a real bedroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr82692 View Post
That is awesome. I'm not positive I'm moving to Chicago yet, but at one point I was considering NYC instead, and I'm so glad I'm leaning towards Chicago now. It would be nice to be able to pay $1000/month in rent with a roommate and actually have a real bedroom.
Oh yeah. $1000/month can get you a nice one bedroom in some good areas. Hell, even downtown has some studios for like $775/month. Not amazing stuff, but they still exist in a few places (my friend has one of those places).

You can even find 1 bedrooms with roommates in other parts of town that are still fine for like $600-$750/month. My girlfriend used to pay $575 for her share of a place in an area that's very safe, and has some stuff going on, and only a 20-30 minute train ride from downtown (Lincoln Square).

$1000/month though can get you a place in a lot of areas of Chicago. If you pushed it up to $1200-$1300/month you could probably live in just about any neighborhood.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonitone View Post
(3) Chicago is clean - compared to both cities. No trash on the sidewalks. It doesn't smell like garbage. No bed bugs, no **** roaches that look like mice and no rats that look like cats. Right?
Ehh... Not quite. There are plenty of bedbugs and roaches and rats here.

Chicago is cleaner on average than NYC, but it varies a lot depending upon what part of town you're in. Generally, downtown and the more affluent areas on the North Side will be mostly clean, but even places like Wrigleyville can smell a little on warm, humid Sunday mornings when all the dumpsters are still overflowing from the night before.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,697 times
Quote:
Hello all... My first post here.

I'm from the Midwest originally (Michigan) and have been living between NYC and LA for the past 8 years. I love big city life, but the stress is starting to get to me. Literally, I have ended up in the hospital because the stress has gotten so bad.

I don't think NYC and LA are places that I can live long term. But, something is attracting me to Chicago. The only thing that worries me is the winter. I would assume that the weather would be similar to Michigan (which I handled for 18 years), but everyone I talk to says that "Chicago is worse." I, personally, don't like the cold. But, the rudeness and hustle-and-bustle of New York drives me crazy, while the "fakeness" and fear of the "Big One" (earthquakes) also bothers me.

Fortunately, I'm at a point in my career where I have this window of opportunity to make a major move. If I don't take the chance now, it could be a while before I can do so. So, I ask you guys, are the winters really that bad?

I've grown accustomed to not driving. Is that a completely crazy idea in Chicago winters? Does the nightlife change drastically during the winters? Does the city shutdown?

I know these sound like crazy questions, but so many people have made it seem like Chicago winters are the apocalypse, I just need a little perspective.

Thanks.
Chicago winters are hell. Very cold and it gets dark at 4PM. Aside from that, if you cannot handle the stress of LA or NYC, Chicago is not a good place for you. Try a smaller or medium sized city like Omaha or Kansas City.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 27,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ehh... Not quite. There are plenty of bedbugs and roaches and rats here.

Chicago is cleaner on average than NYC, but it varies a lot depending upon what part of town you're in. Generally, downtown and the more affluent areas on the North Side will be mostly clean, but even places like Wrigleyville can smell a little on warm, humid Sunday mornings when all the dumpsters are still overflowing from the night before.
Good to know. Thank you. I don't understand neighborhoods in Chicago, but I guess the times that I've been there I've been in the affluent ones. They always seem to be so much cleaner than New York to me. In NYC, I've lived in Chelsea (one of the better neighborhoods) and it still has cleanliness problems.

RE: Bedbugs. Did you guys have a similar problem like we did?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM

7 posts, read 27,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Maurio View Post
Chicago winters are hell. Very cold and it gets dark at 4PM. Aside from that, if you cannot handle the stress of LA or NYC, Chicago is not a good place for you. Try a smaller or medium sized city like Omaha or Kansas City.
I think I'm just weird (or a little like Goldilocks) because I really need to be in a big city (just not an Alpha city like NYC). I grew up in the suburbs and that really does nothing for me, either.

Ultimately, I would love to find a city that perfectly meshes NYC and LA. From my understanding, that seems to be Chicago. But I could be wrong. Is that how you view Chicago? Or, do you think there is another option in the US?

Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:

Ultimately, I would love to find a city that perfectly meshes NYC and LA. From my understanding, that seems to be Chicago. But I could be wrong. Is that how you view Chicago? Or, do you think there is another option in the US?
Not directed at me, but that's kind of how I view it. That's how my Uncle who was born and raised in Queens and lives in LA kind of views Chicago too. You can have both worlds here really. There are definitely areas here like NYC, and there's definitely areas with an attitude of LA. As my Uncle pointed out though, some areas of the city reminded him of other cities too like Washington DC in a few areas.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM

13 posts, read 16,133 times
yo, michigan winters are probably worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago