Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:26 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,962,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I can sort of understand how things seem all urgent now, but really you seriously ought to know that you might be in the early stages of mental illness. I am not saying this out of anything other than concern. I have a cousin that is a few years older than I am. He quite literally had a completely normal life all through high school and about mid part of his freshmen year of college had increasingly debilitating mental illness. He takes some medication that mostly helps but he never finished college despite having the apptitude to do so. He has worked in commercial food service on and off for about 30 years.

The first signs of something being wrong were that he wanted to move from his college town with vaque plans to start working...

Please, if you live in a town of any size there is almost certainly some kind of community based mental health provider.
Schizophrenia tends to strike in the late teens/early 20ies and yikes. It is kinda of sad to people in the prime of life and bang. There are also romantic notions that can lead someone who is young to take the wrong turn too(i.e. run off to Hollywood, become a star or in the 90ies Seattle to get into music). However the O.P. might have an problem with his parents being unable to pay for college(or take out that much money). And for all we know he might just be one tough fellow ready to take on the world.

What ever the issuse think carefully about it. Running off like that does not just risk your ego. It can risk your life too. What ever you decide do so with a clear head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,737,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfoush21 View Post
Before you highly recommend me not to go through with my plans , I’ve gave this a long and hard thought and is going to go through with this.
Don't.

/thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 PM

575 posts, read 610,480 times
wait until May

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,009,580 times
This reminds me of the beginning of the "Welcome to the Jungle" video from Guns n Roses

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM

3,867 posts, read 6,775,125 times
I remember when I was a teenager everything seemed so much more powerful than it really was. My emotions were swinging from happy to sad in a days time and a little fight or a simple kiss was like hell or heaven on earth. Your going through a stage in your life where you feel helpless at home and you are desperate for change. You feel like doing something crazy and hoping for a different outcome. I understand that. As others mentioned though, the coming winter and the lack of ANY plans kind of scares me from an adult perspective. I would recommend you check out student loans and try going to college. It sounds like you should be able to take out enough in loans to live off of them and go to school full time. Maybe you can find a job while you go to school. That is my advice to you, from a clear headed adult who understands what your going through.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,628,593 times
Honey I wish you the best of luck in life and I hope it goes through for you.

I would recommend applying for college and going to Texas. If you have to move anywhere with only the clothes on your back, stay in the Sunbelt. NYC and Chicago are absolutely not the places to do this in. If you want to pursue a career in engineering, go live in Texas or Arizona. Get a job as an automechanic, or a hospital walker or whatever will give you a decent wage and let you afford rent with some roommates.

When you've been in state for about a year and held a job, apply to a community college or just apply to a state university there. Universities have far greater resources to offer thousands of people who are in an identical situation to yourself, so the environment will support you and you will be working towards something. Not just surviving. That's what we want to avoid here.

I'd recommend Megabus, because tickets are incredibly cheap. Look up roommate situations on Craigslist and start collecting information. Make a few posts yourself. The greatest disadvantage you face is that the environment in the south is so hard to get by on without a car, so you absolutely have to plan for living someplace near a lot of "stuff", be it a mall or a supermarket or bus line.

By all means, send me a private message if you want to continue talking, and we can plan through this. I just do not see someone from the south surviving in Chicago in winter with everything else you have to deal with.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:56 PM

78 posts, read 515,653 times
The thing is I'm really trying to get into school, I already missed a semester and if I attend down here I will have unreliable transportation. If I found a job and by the grace of god I happen to get it, could I have enough money saved to move up there by january.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM

You know with the unemployment problem all around the country and then add on, me having no work experience, I'm not a likely candidate. Plus I live in rural area so there is not that many options in the vicinity, then we're talking gas money.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
Have you looked into the possibility of taking out student loans as 2.5 suggested?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 PM

"The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That's the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead!"
— General George S. Patton, Jr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago