Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 10:27 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,137 times

Advertisements

though i would save as much as i could for food and renting a room atleast to avoid the shelters there and you'll have a residence and i would get a cheap cell phone for job interveiws. your in such a rush you need to slow down and do some research before you find yourself in a postion you wish you were never in not being rude or disrespectfull in any way. good things come to those who wait. and things could get alot worse than having your shoes stolen or your back pack you could wind up dead somewhere!!! hopefully things work out for you though peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:41 PM

207 posts, read 506,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
I say go for it. I can guarantee you that if you stay where you are and graduate from college, you'll still end up stuck where you are with no job. But if you can, skip the spring semester and work 40 hours a week at mcdonalds or something while you prepare. Sounds like a tough move though. It will be very hard to fit in there, people aren't as warm and open to friendship as southerners. I know lots of southerners who moved to Chicago and felt the people were standoffish.
Man I really hope you left NC for Chicago by now...dont listen to these people on this forum a big lot of them are safe betters who never took risks in life!! By all means make that move...you are young and NOW is the time. And never listen to women for advice about your life....but I digress. Chicago is not a hard city to live in once you understand the basics. And oh yea Craigslist is your best friend for anything in Chicago.
If you want to get a job that pays steady.. first place you should look is at a telemarketing company, they hire like crazy and damn near weekly.This will allow you to maintain while you search for another job. If you need clothes for interviews and work...the thrift stores are AMAZING in Chicago and if you catch a special you can leave with a months worth of quality clothes for less than $20. As far as housing, again back to Craigslist, be creative here....people are always renting out rooms and such....strike up some kind of deal where you can work for room and board until you get on your feet. Or just explain your situation and intentions, you would be surprised of how people would be willing to work with you... Chicagoans arent like New Yorkers they are much more grounded and understanding and most are from the suburbs anyway, lol. So you are dealing with people with sense. Chicago is not a tough city when you figure out what is what, and who is who. By all means just do it! Say **** it and do it...hit the Amtrak get your ass to Chicago...your destiny awaits!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 48,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
Man I really hope you left NC for Chicago by now...dont listen to these people on this forum a big lot of them are safe betters who never took risks in life!! By all means make that move...you are young and NOW is the time. And never listen to women for advice about your life....but I digress. Chicago is not a hard city to live in once you understand the basics. And oh yea Craigslist is your best friend for anything in Chicago.
If you want to get a job that pays steady.. first place you should look is at a telemarketing company, they hire like crazy and damn near weekly.This will allow you to maintain while you search for another job. If you need clothes for interviews and work...the thrift stores are AMAZING in Chicago and if you catch a special you can leave with a months worth of quality clothes for less than $20. As far as housing, again back to Craigslist, be creative here....people are always renting out rooms and such....strike up some kind of deal where you can work for room and board until you get on your feet. Or just explain your situation and intentions, you would be surprised of how people would be willing to work with you... Chicagoans arent like New Yorkers they are much more grounded and understanding and most are from the suburbs anyway, lol. So you are dealing with people with sense. Chicago is not a tough city when you figure out what is what, and who is who. By all means just do it! Say **** it and do it...hit the Amtrak get your ass to Chicago...your destiny awaits!
I second this.

I first moved to Chicago with $300 and couch surfed for two months. Got registered to vote within a day, got a job as a bank teller in a week (I was 18), and went full-time as a self-employed individual within five months (eventually opened my first business a year later).

I moved to Chicago fresh out of high school at 18 years old and have Chicago to thank for making me a man and putting hair on my chest.

You only live once so you might as well live remarkably. Don't listen to the people recommending that you prepare, do you know why? Because you'll be preparing for the rest of your life.

Act as if, then act because you have to.

P.S. If you want to know how it ended up, I'm now President & CEO of a supplement company. I wouldn't trade the good times and the bad times Chicago threw my way for anything.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
You don't go to Chicago with the idea of using homeless shelters as a base. Even couch-surfing, with people you supposedly know only a little, is worlds better than being "homeless". Let's use some common sense here.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutra View Post
I second this.

I first moved to Chicago with $300 and couch surfed for two months. Got registered to vote within a day, got a job as a bank teller in a week (I was 18), and went full-time as a self-employed individual within five months (eventually opened my first business a year later).

I moved to Chicago fresh out of high school at 18 years old and have Chicago to thank for making me a man and putting hair on my chest.

You only live once so you might as well live remarkably. Don't listen to the people recommending that you prepare, do you know why? Because you'll be preparing for the rest of your life.

Act as if, then act because you have to.

P.S. If you want to know how it ended up, I'm now President & CEO of a supplement company. I wouldn't trade the good times and the bad times Chicago threw my way for anything.
lol

Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You know, I've done the "pick up and move to a new city with nothing lined up" routine too. But that was back when jobs were ripe for the picking and nearly anyone could find one right away that paid well enough to at least feed, clothe, and house you.

Times have changed, and the job tree doesn't exactly have an abundance of fruit for the picking these days. Moving with nothing and no marketable skills to a city where you know nobody is not a brilliant career strategy right now.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,873,536 times
You all are giving that guy BAD advice. If he wants to come here, cool, but wait until March or April when the worst part of winter is over. You can seriously die here in the winter.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 AM

39 posts, read 48,069 times
"Join Date: Jun 2010
991 posts, read 461,456 times"

lol

Old 01-04-2013, 10:35 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
That "pick up and go" attitude might be ok if your an adventerous person, but I would not want to be adventerous and homeless in 30 degree below zero windchill, and having to live on the street, and the homeless shelters don't seem to be such a fine and dandy sugar candy place to live either. With the current citizens already here who cant find a job, you're taking your chances if you feel you can land a job right quick .. But then, if you want to find a job like in Target or MacDonalds, you might have a go. Still, you have to have a place to go change into clean clothes and take a shower even with working in a store like that.

Take your chances, but have a backup plan in case that does not work out for you.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM

78 posts, read 517,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Keep us posted OP?
Success is the best revenge.
Go to college.
As of right now I'm still in NC and I've got a job at Walmart and my mom has also I gotten a job. She's finally came around to the idea of moving and wants to help financially. So i will officially be moving at the end of July. I plan to transfer from this Walmart to one in Chicago ( ready to become an official Chicagoan). Go Bears!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago