Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,872,445 times

Advertisements

I have a friend that think that Walmart is the devil incarnate. She says she is against everything they stand for. I know the general rap on Walmart is unfair labor practices, driving small stores out of business, and relentlessly hounding suppliers to keep costs and prices down. But I am wondering without combing through lots of websites if Walmart really gets a bad rap it does or does not deserve. Seems to me they are involved in yet another set of labor disputes that are in the news. How are they so different from the other stores I mentioned in terms of corporate practices, or even places like fast foods or dollar stores, all who hire "cheap" labor? Pls advise. I am going to see this friend tomorrow and we have to stop at Walmart to return something and I want to get some perspectives on this issue.
P. S. she thinks K Mart is okay and shops there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
Target isn't as bad. Kmart is not actually very successful, so it is harder to judge. I suspect K-Mart will be gone eventually unless they do something different. There stores are generally pretty awful.

Target contributes a lot to schools.

Target is a member of the Corporate Alliance to End Partner Violence.

Target has been named as one of the best corporations for working mothers due to its flexibility of hours
2012 Best Companies for Hourly Workers List | workingmother.com
Quote:
These 12 companies support their hourly employees with flex initiatives, good benefits and opportunities to contribute ideas and advance into high-level salaried jobs.
Best Companies for Hourly Workers Leadership | workingmother.com
Quote:
“Talent development is a core part of Target’s culture that runs very deep,” says Kim Strong, vice president of diversity and inclusion of Target Stores, one of this year’s winning companies. “There is tremendous pride in being seen as a person, team or store that’s recognized for growing talent.”
Target has a commitment to diversity and gives to many organizations that promote diversity.
No. 30: Target - DiversityInc
It is #22 on the list
Quote:
The 11-member board of directors is also diverse, with four women, two Black people and one Latino person.
Target makes the list of most reputable companies as well.
America's Most Reputable Companies - Forbes

As opposed to Walmart, Target helps it suppliers
No. 30: Target - DiversityInc
Quote:
Target helps its suppliers understand what they need to learn and do to successfully do business with the retailer. The company also offers them mentoring and financial education.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:08 PM

283 posts, read 445,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I have a friend that think that Walmart is the devil incarnate.......How are they so different from the other stores I mentioned in terms of corporate practices, or even places like fast foods or dollar stores, all who hire "cheap" labor? Pls advise. I am going to see this friend tomorrow and we have to stop at Walmart to return something and I want to get some perspectives on this issue.
K-Mart and/or Target hasn't been sued and fined by the European Union for crappy labor practices, and it hasn't literally allowed people to get raped/shot/mugged to increase profits (i.e. no cameras or no patrols when a simple patrol cuts down on crime).

Also Walmart is INFAMOUS for its' anti-union/union-busting activities. That's where the joke of firing everyone in a store and shutting it down comes from. Well, in the -modern- era.

For some reason, I haven't heard of K-Marts being opened in small towns forcing everything to close. But then K-Mart and Target have less of a 'but out everything/grow like the Borg' ideology than Wal-Mart. Or I am "out of the loop" about such things....

Old 10-07-2012, 03:49 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
I have a friend that think that Walmart is the devil incarnate. She says she is against everything they stand for. I know the general rap on Walmart is unfair labor practices, driving small stores out of business, and relentlessly hounding suppliers to keep costs and prices down. But I am wondering without combing through lots of websites if Walmart really gets a bad rap it does or does not deserve. Seems to me they are involved in yet another set of labor disputes that are in the news. How are they so different from the other stores I mentioned in terms of corporate practices, or even places like fast foods or dollar stores, all who hire "cheap" labor? Pls advise. I am going to see this friend tomorrow and we have to stop at Walmart to return something and I want to get some perspectives on this issue.

In the Chicago area, per Crain's Chicago Business, the three large retail chains pay pretty much the same and have pretty much the same benefits.

Remember that the UFCW spends millions each year advertising against Walmart as their union stores (Jewel, Dominick's, Meijer's) are losing market share to Walmart, Trader Joes, and Aldi's who routinely offer everyday low prices.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
K-Mart filed bankruptcy once. It never came back to its glory days of the 70's and 80's. In some areas it is partnered with Big Lots.

I used to shop Walmart until I discovered most of their stores are dirty, and they don't adhere to ADA (Americans Disability Act) standards in the handicap bathrooms. The stalls really are not configured for wheel chair users; it's multi-use: ambulatory with a baby changing station. It defeats the purpose of even having a handicap stall.

Of the three, I prefer Target due to better quality plus they have items you cannot find at K-Mart or Walmart/Sam's Club.

My opinion was formed from shopping these stores from NOLA to SoCal. It doesn't apply to Chicago stores which may be entirely different, and in the case of Warmart, it might actually be clean.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,409,066 times
I'm pretty sure they all blow. It's like Hitler vs. Stalin vs. Mussolini or something. I can respect Walmart the most because they've revolutionized big box efficiency and I think they can help people who really are that poor and desperate to shop there. I avoid all of these places, for what it's worth.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,178,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I can respect Walmart the most because they've revolutionized big box efficiency and I think they can help people who really are that poor and desperate to shop there.
Yeah, but part of the reason there are an increasing number of people poor and desperate enough to shop there is that they've also revolutionized low pay and no benefits. It's a double-edged sword.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:17 PM

A few comments, -- I agree Target is a nicer shopping experience. It seems Tar zhay has some discount snob appeal at least where I live and almost anyone will shop there. The Walmart store I go to infrequently is not dirty. There are more people of color there and others that are lower on the socio economic scale. Similar to the Aldi shopper where I also see a lot of senior citizens trying to stretch their dollar. I do see folks working at Walmart that might not find it easy to get another job and many also probably work part time. My guess is that prices there are really good but I have not done a comparison.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:30 PM

9,881 posts, read 9,485,129 times
Quote:
there was a documentary about Wallmart and apparently they are not paying their workers a fair wage and/or benefits. If you can watch it, it might settle your questions.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM

Good idea. I think I saw some parts of it but not the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago