Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,224,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
When I buy booze, I pay more tax then when I buy food.
That is a state issue. Gun tracking would need to be done on a national level and then you have to figure out what to do with the 300 million guns already out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
In Illinois you already need a FOID to buy guns and ammo and you need to travel outside of the city to get either. Transferring a gun or ammunition to someone who shouldn't have one is already illegal. Enforce it.
Hey genius, this enforcement should be happening before the guns reach Chicago.

Since clearly Indiana and suburban/rural Illinois are incapable of doing so, I laugh at the idea that Chicago should just sit around waiting on empty promises.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWaterhouse View Post
"Do Nothing" isn't accurate. Conservatives are all for cracking down on straw purchasers and violent criminals.
... you mean, they all for it until they actually need to sit down and work out a plan to do it.

Either way, you can't stop straw purchasers on some level, everyone agrees with that. What you can do is make the guns far, far, far more impossible to steal. And you can also make them more traceable.

As for the "but, but, but - how do we pay for it?"

That is so devoid of common sense it doesn't deserve an answer, but obviously the manufacturers would need to bear the cost.

If they can in turn pass the cost along to their customers, hey, that's capitalism for you.

America - love it or leave it!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM

71 posts, read 105,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If one wants to reduce violent crime, it needs to be handled at the root to prevent it, a tax would only add revenue at the effect of violence and do nothing to prevent it. Want to solve violence in Chicago, then give those in violent neighborhoods hope and give them a way to succeed in life, that will reduce crime. A man won't succumb to violence if that man feels he has something to lose, but if he has nothing to lose, then he has nothing to stop him from being violent.
This, this, a thousand times this. This is a pure cash grab by the city to help fix their budget shortfall when they should be focusing on pension reform and as the poster above stated, stopping crime at the root. It's ludicrous some of you are defending this proposed tax. You can't legislate criminals and this is simply punishing the innocent law abiding tax payer who enjoys his 2nd ammendment rights. Why not tax criminality and leave me alone. I swear some of you would support a tax on air if Toni or Rahm said it would reduce crime.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,083,948 times
Okay, L.A and NYC have strict gun control. Both cities have populations larger than Chicago.

Why do they not have the same type of violence?

You cannot blame a gun, it is an inanimate object that only does what the person holding it is capable of.

I'm in a military class now, we have international students, one of them is from Singapore. I asked him if private gun ownership was allowed, he said it is not. He said they do not have gun violence but they sure have a lot of knife violence.

It's a person issue.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Agree with you, but what if the tax proceeds from guns/ammo were spent on programs to do exactly what you propose?
That, I am okay with.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleMakers View Post
This, this, a thousand times this. This is a pure cash grab by the city to help fix their budget shortfall when they should be focusing on pension reform and as the poster above stated, stopping crime at the root. It's ludicrous some of you are defending this proposed tax. You can't legislate criminals and this is simply punishing the innocent law abiding tax payer who enjoys his 2nd ammendment rights. Why not tax criminality and leave me alone. I swear some of you would support a tax on air if Toni or Rahm said it would reduce crime.
I am "punished" almost every week when I buy booze. Taxes are much higher on booze than other items. I don't really complain about it.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM

562 posts, read 989,665 times
Ya know, reducing poverty and improving education would probably be a good first step in reducing crime. Just a thought.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Ya know, reducing poverty and improving education would probably be a good first step in reducing crime. Just a thought.
Thank you for that mind-blowing suggestion.

Thoughts on how?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM

283 posts, read 447,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I'm in a military class now, we have international students, one of them is from Singapore. I asked him if private gun ownership was allowed, he said it is not. He said they do not have gun violence but they sure have a lot of knife violence.

It's a person issue.
Ask him more stuff. I wonder what his definition of "a lot of knife violence is" given apparently draconian punishments and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago