Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM

82 posts, read 196,862 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that many apartment buildings in Chicago are of the super-high-rise sort. I have never lived in a building over 9 floors, so I'm curious about life in such a beast. Can anyone with experience in such buildings share some insight? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiata View Post
I have noticed that many apartment buildings in Chicago are of the super-high-rise sort. I have never lived in a building over 9 floors, so I'm curious about life in such a beast. Can anyone with experience in such buildings share some insight? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

I live in one.

Pros?
- The "I have a sweet view" mostly. Of course, you won't be guaranteed a floor way up, but it depends on where you are too. Even if you are high up, you aren't guaranteed a great view.
- Having a door staff. Double as building security, help you out if you have a lot of groceries and what not coming into the building, or you're expecting someone to come up and saying "hey so and so is coming, do blah blah blah."
- Door staff can also sign packages for you, so you don't have to be at home to sign something that comes.
- Most high rises are going to have a gym and/or pool. Pool is on a rooftop at least up 10 stories in most buildings. Sometimes up on the roof. The gym/pool/whatever fee would be included with rent. There are some great spaces for this like at the Aqua building. They have like 4 pool, a huge gym, event spaces, a movie theater, etc. Great building. Too bad there's not much going on in the area around it. Can get some great views though, very nice units and right on the river near where it meets Lake Michigan.
- Some apartment buildings have other spaces like say a pool table, or event space if you want to host a big party. My apartment complex puts on a little free party with tons of free food and wine every 3-4 months too.

Cons?
- If you're high up and want to wait for an elevator or some/all the elevators go down for maintenance or whatever. It really depends on the building and your elevators. Sometimes you can get an elevator right away, but sometimes you have to wait.
- Sometimes costs more.
- Parking. If you own a car and live downtown, your high rise will have a private garage and will charge a lot for parking (my building is like $200/month for covered parking and I'm pretty sure it's more expensive at nicer buildings).

Last edited by marothisu; 10-10-2012 at 01:31 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM

82 posts, read 196,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I live in one.

Pros?
- The "I have a sweet view" mostly. Of course, you won't be guaranteed a floor way up, but it depends on where you are too. Even if you are high up, you aren't guaranteed a great view.
- Having a door staff. Double as building security, help you out if you have a lot of groceries and what not coming into the building, or you're expecting someone to come up and saying "hey so and so is coming, do blah blah blah."
- Door staff can also sign packages for you, so you don't have to be at home to sign something that comes.
- Most high rises are going to have a gym and/or pool. Pool is on a rooftop at least up 10 stories in most buildings. Sometimes up on the roof. The gym/pool/whatever fee would be included with rent. There are some great spaces for this like at the Aqua building. They have like 4 pool, a huge gym, event spaces, a movie theater, etc. Great building. Too bad there's not much going on in the area around it. Can get some great views though, very nice units and right on the river near where it meets Lake Michigan.
- Some apartment buildings have other spaces like say a pool table, or event space if you want to host a big party. My apartment complex puts on a little free party with tons of free food and wine every 3-4 months too.

Cons?
- If you're high up and want to wait for an elevator or some/all the elevators go down for maintenance or whatever. It really depends on the building and your elevators. Sometimes you can get an elevator right away, but sometimes you have to wait.
- Sometimes costs more.
- Parking. If you own a car and live downtown, your high rise will have a private garage and will charge a lot for parking (my building is like $200/month for covered parking and I'm pretty sure it's more expensive at nicer buildings).
Thanks for your feedback ! A lot of this is similar to my previous "high rise" (9 floor) experience.

There was indeed a gym. When I left, I had to start purchasing gym equipment (elliptical, treadmill, etc) and that takes up a lot of space. It would be nice to find a building with a gym and pool (even if the pool would only be useful in the summer).

Public meeting space/activity areas in general are a nice touch.

I have had the worst ideas about doormen, I couldn't think of one positive thing about them, but the package thing is nice.

The idea of *so many* floors and *so many* neighbors is intimidating, but it seems like most of the listings are of this sort in the areas I'm looking at.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I have had the worst ideas about doormen, I couldn't think of one positive thing about them, but the package thing is nice.
I've had some awesome doormen. Some really smart people that you could have conversations with about pretty much anything. Have been pretty helpful mostly with telling me who's here to visit me, if I'm not there, I can say "here's a key to my unit, when they come, give it to them and let them into the building." or whatever.

It's different for every building though. Some doormen are awesome while some are just filling a void in employment with the job and don't care too much.

Quote:
The idea of *so many* floors and *so many* neighbors is intimidating, but it seems like most of the listings are of this sort in the areas I'm looking at.
If it's intimidating, think about it this way. It's no different than you being at a large gym, workplace, etc and getting to know people. Nobody says though you have to be friends with anyone or many people in a high rise. My building is 30 stories, and there's maybe 10-20 people I actually say hey to whenever I see them. There's no rules for anything like that if you think about it.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,316,982 times
Quote:
I think of my highrise as a "vertical village".

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
What are your negative ideas about doormen? I don't particularly like the idea of highrise living, but a doorman would be nice!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM

57 posts, read 145,864 times
I agree with all of the above. I should add that my experience with doormen has been almost entirely positive (or at worst neutral).

On the parking issue, I should add that marothisu's comments apply even beyond the close-to-the-Loop areas of the city. Whenever you have a cluster of high-rises, street parking becomes more difficult (though not necessarily impossible) to find, and garage/parking lot rates will run from $175 on up. This might not be as much of an issue in an isolated high-rise building surrounded by low-rise residential streets, but most high-rises come in clusters.

I will add one more consideration: noise. At a certain height, the street noise (plus the noise of any nearby El line, etc.) will diminish. On the flip side, high-rise complexes are more likely to be close to major roads and/or transit lines, so they will not be as quiet as the most low-key residential side streets.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCP View Post
I will add one more consideration: noise. At a certain height, the street noise (plus the noise of any nearby El line, etc.) will diminish. On the flip side, high-rise complexes are more likely to be close to major roads and/or transit lines, so they will not be as quiet as the most low-key residential side streets.
Yeah, it depends in my experience. At my current place, when I have my windows closed, I can barely hear anything from the outside. When a fire truck goes, I can faintly hear it if it's close enough, but that's it. When my windows are open, I can hear a lot, but it's something you get used to after living in that for awhile. Loud firetrucks still bother me, but that's about it.

When I first moved downtown, I was just thinking "holy hell," but now it's basically an afterthought and I can actually sleep through all the din if I want.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
My biggest issue with mega-highrise living is generally the area's that house them. I don't particularly love the very near north side from a neighborhood standpoint.

They can also be deathly quiet, which is nice for some, and creepy for others.

Aside from that the amenities are great, the safety, the doormen etc etc are all nice to have.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:49 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,690 times
The ecosystem is a little different -
- If you're high enough up, and the elevator is quick, your ears can 'pop'
- all tall buildings are designed to 'sway' or move a little in the wind .. the higher up, the more you will notice it ..hanging lighting and toilet water are good barometers .
- see above for 'creaking' or noises you don't hear down below
- Power failures can REALLY suck ... backup generators are usually for 1 or 2 elevators and hallway emergency lighting only . Fortunately, they're rare in areas with high rises , because of buried utilities, etc ..but they can happen
- The building usually controls the heating and cooling - you control letting it into your unit .. older building with 'one pipe' technology can broil their residents in the Spring - 'Glass Box' can accelerate the effect ..if you're looking , ask for 3 pipe capability ( Air and Heat Year round )

I haven't lived below the 15th floor in 25 years , so I've grown accustomed to cliff dwelling ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago