Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:33 PM

68 posts, read 99,827 times

Advertisements

I am looking at renting a room on this street. Is this safe, or is it dangerous as I suspect? Thank you very much.

Last edited by JKHOSU; 10-27-2012 at 02:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKHOSU View Post
I am looking at renting a room on this street. Is this safe, or is it dangerous as I suspect? Thank you very much.
Not particularly dangerous. It's not the Gold Coast, but it's not a warzone.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:08 PM

OK, thanks. When you say not particularly dangerous, what do you mean specifically? Are there stats on murder rates and etc?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2012, 03:26 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKHOSU View Post
OK, thanks. When you say not particularly dangerous, what do you mean specifically? Are there stats on murder rates and etc?

Thanks
All that is available online with a quick search. I'm not a librarian and you should be a bit more self-sufficient. I offered my subjective opinion based on my experience visiting there and talking to people who live there. You shouldn't be asking other people to research easily findable hard facts for you.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:29 PM

Well excuse me. I will go look at the hard stats then.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I think that is Chinatown actually, or maybe Bridgeport,, but not the Gold Coast which is on the north side.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:20 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Actually it's the southwest part of Pilsen, not Bridgeport and definitely not Chinatown, which is about 3 miles east of there. Emathias was clearly using "not Gold Coast" as a figure of speech to say that it's not the safest or most wealthy neighborhood.

Generally speaking, the further southwest you go in Pilsen the less gentrification and the higher the crime rate, and that's getting pretty far southwest, but it's still pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of safety of Chicago neighborhoods --As Emathias said, it's neither wonderful nor horrible. Just a couple blocks southwest of there is a very small Italian district that's nice. Some call it "Heart of Chicago" or "Heart of Italy," though it's most commonly still referred to as part of Pilsen. A friend of mine who is a single female medical resident lives in that area (due to affordable rent and easy Pink Line access to the medical campus a couple of stops north), and likes it. You'll probably see UIC and Rush students and staff around there along with working class Latino families and a small handful of older European immigrant stock. Maybe even a few artist types. Mostly the Latino families, though.

Given how low the rent there probably is, it's one of the better price-to-safety ratios in the city without getting pretty far away from downtown. If you can afford to pay significantly more and want to be in a safer area, do it, but if you're on a low budget you're better off there than in many other places that are likely in your price range.

It's also good if you want a kind of low-key area with easy access to downtown. It's on the other side of the neighborhood from the more hopping part of Pilsen, and even that part is pretty mellow compared to most neighborhoods that close to downtown.

A little further west of there, across Western, you get into Little Village, which gets significantly sketchier, crime-wise. Personally I would stay east of there.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 10-27-2012 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
I agree with what Emanthias said. It's not a terrible area, but it's not amazing either. At least the train is right there and there's some stuff around. There's some good Mexican food around you, but even more so if you go north on Damen to 18th street and then East of there.

I agree with ChiNaan. West of Western starts to get a little sketchy. Lawndale is not good. Also if you go south of your area closer to the river it gets sketchy for a few blocks, but overall not bad. That goes into McKinley if you continue on Damen or Western which is not a bad area.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 PM

240 posts, read 464,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
All that is available online with a quick search. I'm not a librarian and you should be a bit more self-sufficient. I offered my subjective opinion based on my experience visiting there and talking to people who live there. You shouldn't be asking other people to research easily findable hard facts for you.
That was kinda bush-league, dude. Our friend was just asking for a little help and a place to look. You could have made the same point without rubbing it in his/her face. Remember, you're a representative of your city, whether intended or not. Please handle yourself with a little class.

Hey JKHOSU, try this: http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chic...ower-west-side
-The Lower West Side (aka Pilsen) is something of an average to slightly-above-average neighborhood in terms of safety but is improving (and also gentrifying, whether you think that's a good thing or not is up to you). I had a couple friends who lived there and would occasionally hear gunshots in the middle of the night. However, I don't think a lot of random crime (esp. violent) happens much too much in Pilsen. Start at the link above and I'm sure you'll be able to find more stuff with a Google search.

If you decide to move there, hope you enjoy the neighborhood!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:11 PM

Well, I suppose I should have taken more time to do my research.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for taking the time to write up all of this information; incredibly helpful. Based on this, it sounds like it isn't perfect, but it is definitely livable. I think I will try and rent here after all.

Thanks again guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago