Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:24 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,351,672 times

Advertisements

Yes, I looked at a map of the Evergreen Park boundaries, and I was wrong. My "neck of the woods" is closer to the part where Western is the boundary, but I see on the map how relatively short a stretch that is. Oops.

I hope someone else will return to the topic of this thread now. Sorry for the distraction / detour!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 09:32 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,001,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
As one who is living out in Beverly at the moment, I really agree with this, that public transportation will be key to incorporating and developing the south side. We have a good Metra link to downtown, but that's it - and actually, by "good" I mean that it's a nice direct train ride . . . when it goes. The schedule, especially on weekends (and during parts of the weekdays/evenings) is really inconvenient.

It's really pleasant out here, but you do get to feeling a bit stranded sometimes, and it's a hassle (especially on weekends and in the evenings) to have to think SO much about when the trains will be (or won't be) coming.

Another little feature that needs correcting in my opinion is that Beverly is dry (alcohol-wise). Not that I want a bar at every corner, or anything, but I think the restaurants here would be better and busier if they weren't prohibited from serving alcohol. But who knows, maybe having it be dry is creating an atmosphere that I don't even know I'm enjoying.
I have been thinking about this today, a lot of time riding in a car, I wonder what could be done (if money wasn't an issue) to expand public transportation for the Southside, like a new El line or something. Which neighborhoods should be targeted for public transportation and massive redevelopment?

It would be interesting to see neighborhood redevelopment happen through non-profit development companies, which would ensure building of houses, apartments, and commercial through cost covering techniques, which would probably need public help as well as redevelopment districts, which would have to be based around any major public transportation expansion.

I think if something like this were to ever be pulled off, it might be one of the biggest redevelopments in this country.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:48 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have been thinking about this today, a lot of time riding in a car, I wonder what could be done (if money wasn't an issue) to expand public transportation for the Southside, like a new El line or something. Which neighborhoods should be targeted for public transportation and massive redevelopment?

It would be interesting to see neighborhood redevelopment happen through non-profit development companies, which would ensure building of houses, apartments, and commercial through cost covering techniques, which would probably need public help as well as redevelopment districts, which would have to be based around any major public transportation expansion.

I think if something like this were to ever be pulled off, it might be one of the biggest redevelopments in this country.
I think the major areas that aren't really serviced by the L would be Humboldt Park, Hermosa/Belmont Craig types of areas, and then to the south areas like Hyde Park (even if Washington Park is close), Greater Grand Crossing, South Shore, Beverly, Ashburn, etc. And others...

In all honesty, I could see them going West to Humboldt Park and stuff before going south, but who knows.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:50 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
CTA OKs 3 rail-line extensions - Chicago Tribune

The new rail cars are now in effect (not all, but a handful). I believe that cost is $300 million or so. The other $1.7 billion is some rail extensions. So I guess it would be extended down to East Beverly, Morgan Park, etc.

The Yellow Line to Old Orchard Mall would make sense. If you look at the map, they have it easy. There's space not being taken up by any/much housing that can easily snake around to the mall. This is probably why they'd extend the Red line along the freeway instead of within the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago