Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
That is a great picture but I really hope its not yalls time square.
In terms of appearance... it's the closest we have, except maybe Michigan Avenue which also doesn't really come close. Which is to say, we don't have one.

In terms of "iconic visibility" and tourist traffic, our "Times Square" is Navy Pier. But that's where their similarities end. They look nothing alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,487 times
Coldwine, they have really fixed it up in the past year - especially the southeast corner near the new wing of the Art Institute. I was pleasantly surprised!

Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
dude, give it up....

Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
CHICAGO DOES NOT HAVE A TIMES SQUARE.

The End.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:32 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Here is Chicago's newest "Times Square" area. The theater district used to be very similar to TS in NYC, but of course now it is drastically changed (as is the rest of the Loop since the 1960s).

Anyway, here are the pictures of State near Lake St.

If this in fact is what you consider Times Square like areas in Chicago than I feel sorry for you and the city. I counted a total of 7 people in these pictures. Wow. Have you ever seen Time Square at 4 AM?
Chicago does not have Times Square and Chicago is NOT 24/7 city like New York. If anything your pictures proved it.

BTW. Blurring does not help much

Last edited by dementor; 05-16-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Coldwine, they have really fixed it up in the past year - especially the southeast corner near the new wing of the Art Institute. I was pleasantly surprised!
Oh. Now I miss it I hope I'll get to see it soon.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 AM

242 posts, read 1,002,065 times
Smile Their actually building a new walkway to the Art Institute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I was walking through Millenium Park on Tuesday and thinking it was like a smaller version of Central Park (and prettier too.) The gardens are beautiful there, and you look up and see the skyline. Beautiful! The new walkway to the Art Institute is going to be very cool, and there are wooden board-walk style walkways around the gardens. It's a gorgeous place to hang out on lunch break.
Their actually building a new walkway to the Art Institute?
Any pics of this underconstruction & wonder when it will be complete?

Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
As it is, Chicago's parks simply suck. They're just flat land, some symmetrically placed trees and grass. Millennium Park is a giant waste of land I don't think I'll ever love... Much less like.
Oh, come on now. Walk around the North Pond of Lincoln Park and tell me that isn't wonderful. And Millenium Park isn't a great place to picnic, but it serves it's purpose as an urban gathering place, and the shows on the lawn are qutie nice. It doesn't offer the pleasant seclusion of Lincoln Park or Central Park, but it does some other things well.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Oh, come on now. Walk around the North Pond of Lincoln Park and tell me that isn't wonderful. And Millenium Park isn't a great place to picnic, but it serves it's purpose as an urban gathering place, and the shows on the lawn are qutie nice. It doesn't offer the pleasant seclusion of Lincoln Park or Central Park, but it does some other things well.

In general I prefer English over French style parks so a real park to me is not miles of paved roads and few symmetrically growing trees and a fountains but a place you can get way from concrete. In my opinion none of the Chicago parks offer this option. Millenium while a great venue for concerts and picknick is not a real park, it is impossible to get lost there. Everything is organized there are there are not that many trees there after all. It's more for show than anything else.
Central Park is really different as it was designed to emulate actual forrest, offering a real outdorsy experience right in the middle of one of the largest cities on the planet. Millenium is not bad but it is more of a promenade than actual park. I think whoever designed Millenium was simply trying to hard and it shows.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,310,892 times
i doubt any city has something compared totimes square

that being said.....

CHICAGO DOES NOT HAVE A TIME SQUARE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago