Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:43 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post

As I visit, however, I am also reminded that Chicago is a blue-collar town. Technology is not the focus there. Coming from a banking town (Charlotte) which is primarily white collar, I am accostomed to an ATM at every corner...sometimes, two to three in a block...and being able to pop open my laptop and work wherever I am, at a restaurant, in a park, in about 98% of all homes. Those kinds of things are not as prevaliant in Chicago. The focus is different. The identity is different. But, Chicago is Chicago, not Charlotte, not LA, and definately not NYC. Chicago does not need a tourisim draw, we already have so much! If you really want to bring the tourists in, build an enormus dome over the city and keep the temp at a constant 78 degrees. That ought'a do it!
Chicago hasn't been a "blue collar town" for many, many years... from back in the day when every major city was blue collar. We're talking the 1900's

The city is predominantly a city of service providers. You don't notice a focus on tech here because Chicago's business scene is dominated heavily by large corporations and international professional service providers. But to say that Chicago is a "blue collar" town, that I don't understand.

Secondly... Seriously, what the hell with the wireless network schtick? I got free wireless wherever I was, and as someone who actually needed it I used it everywhere I went. Hell in my college days most cafes had free wireless and I contracted work for major law firms. Most if not all of my memories of Chicago are of professionals sitting with laptops open during lunch.

What Chicago did you live in?

I see that you have attempted to put Charlotte on the same "level" with LA and NYC. Don't. Don't even go there. It's a small town with two (... one) big banks and absolutely nothing more.

Firefighters, police and most other city service providers are forced by law to live within city limits. This is universally the truth across the entire nation. In fact, in most cases every city in the United States mandates that employees of seemingly non-governmental institutions like museums and parks live in the city. I wouldn't really classify these people as "blue collar". And as pretty-pretty-princess as I am about calling someone to fix every problem in my life, I just don't see why it's a negative that a plumber lives nearby. Or a firefighter.

To be blunt, Chicago has literally tens of thousands more "white collar" workers than the small town you have referenced. The business sector alone is larger in population than Charlotte. It's an urban, gritty area place in certain areas, but that shouldn't be mistaken for being blue collar.

Last but not least, appreciate frigid winters because it kills the damn bugs, the crazies and other irritating elements of human existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 04:34 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
I grew up in Logan Square, moved to Jefferson Park and then moved south after high school. (1970's) Now that I am returning, family/friends have moved to the suburbs, a whole different ballgame. Unfortunately, most of the visits have to do with sick or dying relatives and there has been no wi-fi access in any hospital/nursing home or even funeral home that I have been to in the last 5 years (and, also unfortunately, there have been a lot of them). Additionally, none of my cousins have wi-fi access and an ATM (for the 4th largest bank in the country) was impossible to find either in the suburbs or in the city. Again, living in a banking center, nobody here carries cash and everyone uses their debit/credit card for everything, food, drinks, what have you. My predicament was that there were too many places that I wanted to frequent that only took cash...and, then, I could not even find an ATM to obtain that illusive cash. Given the circumstances, I was annoyed, to say the least.

Now, don't think for a minute that I am putting the city down...not at all. I was merely stating that there are differences throughout the country, but, Chicago has it's own charm and charecter. People from Chicago are unlike anywhere else. And, a good part of that is due to the immigrants and the local flavour. I love that about the city. I also agree that having a public transportation system would be awesome! I just wish that it was not so stinkin' cold!! Can't handle it!! Was hoping that one day I could retire and become a snowbird, but, it does not look like that is going to ever happen!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:49 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, most of the visits have to do with sick or dying relatives and there has been no wi-fi access in any hospital/nursing home or even funeral home that I have been to in the last 5 years (and, also unfortunately, there have been a lot of them).
All of the hospitals I've been in in Chicago have WiFi. But there used to be worry about interference with hospital equipment, so many postponed this. Anyway, most people wouldn't expect nursing homes and funeral homes to have WiFi! I don't think this is common anywhere in the country.

Quote:
Again, living in a banking center, nobody here carries cash and everyone uses their debit/credit card for everything, food, drinks, what have you.
Most people under 50 in Chicago don't carry cash either. I don't think this has anything to do with "living in a banking center". I rarely have more than ten bucks in my wallet, and use my debit card for almost everything. This is just part of living in the modern world. Perhaps you just roll with a more "old school" crowd?

Quote:
Now, don't think for a minute that I am putting the city down...not at all. I was merely stating that there are differences throughout the country, but, Chicago has it's own charm and charecter.
And we don't think that the differences you are pointing out are true for Chicago. No offense. The Chicago I live in as a 30-something North Side urbanite professional is a high-tech place. I'm sure things are different in certain parts of the region, but you can't apply your suburban relative's experience to the city as a whole.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
I grew up in Logan Square, moved to Jefferson Park and then moved south after high school. (1970's) Now that I am returning, family/friends have moved to the suburbs, a whole different ballgame. Unfortunately, most of the visits have to do with sick or dying relatives and there has been no wi-fi access in any hospital/nursing home or even funeral home that I have been to in the last 5 years (and, also unfortunately, there have been a lot of them). Additionally, none of my cousins have wi-fi access and an ATM (for the 4th largest bank in the country) was impossible to find either in the suburbs or in the city. Again, living in a banking center, nobody here carries cash and everyone uses their debit/credit card for everything, food, drinks, what have you. My predicament was that there were too many places that I wanted to frequent that only took cash...and, then, I could not even find an ATM to obtain that illusive cash. Given the circumstances, I was annoyed, to say the least.
Now just a minute. 4th largest bank in the country: It's gotta be Wachovia. Yeah, there are no Wachovia branches here. Just like there are no Chase branches in Charlotte, or anywhere else in North or South Carolina. That's annoying when you want to make a deposit, but not exactly a big deal for getting cash, as surcharges are a pain, but you can plan around then.

Furthermore, the whole "nobody carries cash" thing isn't because you're in Charlotte. It's because nobody carries cash. I might be vaguely more likely to do so in Chicago for the sake of cabs or trains, but only slightly. I know... maybe 3 places, off the top of my head, that are cash-only.

And wifi in hospitals and nursing homes?

Furthermore, the whole WORLD has changed since the 70s. Chicago is no different.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:54 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Chicago hasn't been a "blue collar town" for many, many years... from back in the day when every major city was blue collar. We're talking the 1900's

The city is predominantly a city of service providers. You don't notice a focus on tech here because Chicago's business scene is dominated heavily by large corporations and international professional service providers. But to say that Chicago is a "blue collar" town, that I don't understand.
Have you ever left the gentrified north side? There are still vast swaths of the city that I think would fall very firmly into the "blue collar" category. The people who wait your tables, clean your office, wash your car, drive your bus, and the myriad of other things you do on a daily basis without even thinking of it..believe it or not they live somewhere too. And I can assure you its not in some $500,000 condo.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:46 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
The term "blue collar" has been bastardized to include anyone with a low wage job, and that's not the true meaning of the term. A guy working a McDonald's counter or cleaning offices at night is not really "blue collar", and are probably better described as members of the urban under class. Many immigrants in the city have assumed blue collar jobs as mechanics or tradesmen, but the old school native Chicagoans have largely moved out of the city unless the city requires them to live here. Sure, there are remnants of the old "Blue Collar Chicago" left out there, but they have largely been replaced by a new Blue Collar Chicago made up of immigrants from Mexico, Poland, or the like--and they have little in common with the old established Blue Collar Chicago of the 20th Century who lived here for generations and gave the city it's most famous traditions. I don't mean to downplay the traditions of new Chicago immigrants, but just want to point out that it's a different city today than it once was. And because of the changing economy, most "Blue Collar" jobs have been replaced by low-paying service jobs that to me seem below the bar of "Blue Collar".

Old 10-18-2008, 09:20 PM

242 posts, read 1,002,065 times
Default Here's a pic of Chicago's "Times Square" on a smaller scale.

Chicago's own Times Square. North Side of Chicago.
Attached Thumbnails
Chicago's times square-chicago-skyline.jpg  

Old 10-19-2008, 01:12 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
I would hardly call North Ave,Damen, and Milwaukee, Chicago's Times Square.:-)

If anything it was called "The Crotch" and still is by some.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:35 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
I really don't think North Avenue and Damen is Times Square. The city is how many miles behind?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:08 AM

414 posts, read 884,473 times
That's where my apt is!...but yeah...def not even a small version of Time Square...not by a long shot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago