Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 PM

18 posts, read 30,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Understood. Just so you're aware, Allston-Brighton has a major concentration of twenty-somethings, both in and out of school, and it's not exactly bucolic, but it's OK, if you're in that age bracket. Otherwise, if you're older, I'd stay away. Watertown is one town over from Cambridge, but you'd have to take a bus to connect to the subway ( Red Line). Only about 5 minutes, and it runs constantly, but the rentals will be much more affordable than Cambridge, and overall it's a pretty decent city. You might also find rentals in Somerville ( lots of triple-deckers), which also has plenty of twenty-somethings as well. In any case, living near the subway/commuter rail can make your life much easier.

I should also add that many Boston-area apts require a substantial down payment ( first, last, possible security, likely realter's fee,etc), so be prepared.
I am indeed in the younger 20-something age bracket and I'd like to go back to school, so I am down for that. :] I have friends in Brighton and Allston, too, which is why I am looking in that area instead of Watertown. I'll also look at Somerville, too! I don't mind living a bit further from Boston/Brighton/Allston as long as I am by a rail or bus line so I can get around quickly and see my friends.

I'm looking at Craigslist for 'rooms/shared' so hopefully I can avoid the whole realtor fee, security and all that mess. I am too broke to ever hope to live on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM

156 posts, read 313,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There aren't a TON of rooftops here. The ones with parks and gardens up top are usually private (part of Daley's "Green Roof" Initiative or whatever it was called). There are some rooftop bars/clubs in the city, but it's really not a ton..and they're usually loud/annoying anyway.

Obviously you have to sneak up there.....

Many of those private rooftops of are unlocked because the workers go up for smoke breaks.

Some are very strict but other rooftops won't bat an eyelash since employees go up all the time.

They're usually quiet because people rarely go up to them or use them. Some have tables and park benches too!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
It's not a cafe or coffee house, but if you want somewhere dark, quiet (usually), where nobody will bother you..2nd floor of Le Colonial near Rush & Oak. On like the weekends it'll get busy sometimes, and maybe some Thursday nights, but really....it's dark, can be quiet, and people will not bother you usually. Some celebs will pop in for this very reason - people leave you alone and don't care even if you are a celebVery cool, chill place. If you go there, just walk inside and take the stairs up. There's a bar area (you can order whatever you want there. Dark wood. candles and miniature trees all around) and some couches too. Again though, it's dark, but it's good for unwinding when it's not busy. They have music playing but it's usually lounge type of stuff or chillout/trip hop.

You just kind of have to learn when not a ton of people will be up there.
So a person who works retail and sleeps in the living room of an apartment shared with two other people should go to an upscale restaurant downtown every day after work?

Might not be in the budget...Just sayin'.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
So a person who works retail and sleeps in the living room of an apartment shared with two other people should go to an upscale restaurant downtown every day after work?

Might not be in the budget...Just sayin'.

This is the common misconception people have with this place and it's pretty funny, especially if you aren't truly familiar with it.

I have been here more times than I can count, but barely to actually eat sitting down on the main floor (too white table cloth). Always at the bar area or couches. So what's the deal? First of all, they don't care what you order. I have gone in there probably 50+ times and ordered a $6.50 bowl of Pho and a coffee. Bill was less than $10. Nobody cared. Nobody forces you to order something you don't want to or a minimum.

Best deal on the menu? They have a big plate of chicken fried rice for under $8 that entree sized. $9.75ish if you want Shrimp instead.

P.S. for an "upscale" place, the entrees there are not bad. Salads are $10-$13, most appetizers are under $10, and the average price for an entree is probably $22-$23. Some entrees are $18, some are like $30 (like a whole red snapper). Compared to a truly upscale place, the prices are not that bad. The downstairs is standard white table cloth while the upstairs is way more liberal and chill.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,476 times
Quote:
This is the common misconception people have with this place and it's pretty funny, especially if you aren't truly familiar with it.
I was basing it on everything that comes up when googling it, including the description on their official website, which uses the word "up-scale" and appears to be trying as hard as possible to portray it as such.

Quote:
I have been here more times than I can count, but barely to actually eat sitting down on the main floor (too white table cloth). Always at the bar area or couches. So what's the deal? First of all, they don't care what you order. I have gone in there probably 50+ times and ordered a $6.50 bowl of Pho and a coffee. Bill was less than $10. Nobody cared. Nobody forces you to order something you don't want to or a minimum.
Fair enough. That's certainly much less than I would have expected from the way the place presents itself. It's still a lot for somebody who doesn't make a lot of money and is looking for a regular/daily place. I assumed he was thinking more along the lines of a $2-3 cup of coffee or cheap beer. I could be wrong, of course.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Fair enough. That's certainly much less than I would have expected from the way the place presents itself. It's still a lot for somebody who doesn't make a lot of money and is looking for a regular/daily place. I assumed he was thinking more along the lines of a $2-3 cup of coffee or cheap beer. I could be wrong, of course.
Like you I was assuming this person wanted someplace that was free.

Someone living in the living room of a 2-bdrm place shouldn't be ordering designer coffees, except maybe very rarely (once per month?).

Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
I was basing it on everything that comes up when googling it, including the description on their official website, which uses the word "up-scale" and appears to be trying as hard as possible to portray it as such.

They definitely portray themselves as that, and I think it's fairly true if you were to go and eat a regular dinner in the dining room area, but the prices of the entrees are still on par with many "nice, but not upscale" types of restaurants in the city. Upstairs is different though. The funniest thing is on Thursdays a DJ is up there (a friend of mine). So there's some upbeat music (kind of world mixed music) and then you walk downstairs to leave and it's all white table cloth, but you can hear the music from down there. It's hilarious.

The Vietnamese Coffee there is just as much as a coffee at say Starbucks. Yeah, I mean if you don't make a ton of money, then yeah don't make it a spot you go everyday, but I mean it's definitely easy to go there and have a few things and not spend a lot of money every once in awhile. It's a good place and cheaper than most people think. They just see a classy place and assume everything is $30-$35+ and it's not like that. It can get expensive if you start ordering tons of drinks, but that's true of a TON of places.

The place is upcale looking yes, but you don't have to get all dressed up to go there. Some people do, but they don't really care. As long as you don't come in a baseball jersey and hat, then whatever. Jeans and sweatshirt..they don't care. The owner is really laid back and cool. I mean obviously they don't want bums hanging around there, but yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago