Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM

3 posts, read 8,886 times

Advertisements

Ciao,

I'm an Italian guy requested by a major Company to expat for about 1 year to Chicago from Milano - Italy - and I'm looking for somebody from Italy or Europe in general who is living or has lived in the town to advise to me some tips.

The office will be located 30 Miles west from chicago on route 55 so it would be nice to get advises where to live to avoid mass traffic enjoying the town at same time.

Many thanks!
DDT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,152 times
I live downtown, but Hinsdale and Oakbrook are very nice suburbs. Hinsdale has good access to the city by train. Where you look depends on your price range.

If you wanted to live in or visit the city, I could help guide you. As far as living in the suburbs, I do know that Hinsdale and Oakbrook are very nice areas. I particularly like Hinsdale because of train access to the city and it has a small central shopping area. Naperville is popular for families, but it sounds like schools are not an issue for you. Hinsdale and Oakbrook schools are good also.

There is some traffic in the suburbs also, but not bad. What is the name of the town in which your office is located?

The museums, most cultural events, the lake (Michigan) and beaches, are, of course, all in the city. I suspect your stay here would be more enjoyable if you had access to these things...cultural event, theatre, opera, etc., also are in the city.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:14 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
I wouldn't recommend Oak Brook unless you're looking forward to spending your time in America by sitting in a large house staring at a large tv. There is little in Oak Brook besides oversized houses, oversized cars, artificial lakes, and a few ugly office buildings.

And a mall.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I wouldn't recommend Oak Brook unless you're looking forward to spending your time in America by sitting in a large house staring at a large tv. There is little in Oak Brook besides oversized houses, oversized cars, artificial lakes, and a few ugly office buildings.

And a mall.
Oakbrook came to mind because of the commute; as burbs go, I think it's one of the least suburban ones in terms of it DOES have Oakbrook mall, lwhich has a few places to eat, and the same stores as Mich. Ave.. It's not a bad commute to O'Hare in case CIao wants to visit Italy (are you still there, Ciao?). It's not the city, but unless "Ciao" lives in the city and takes the train to work 30 mi West (which I would do unless I had to send children to public school.....unless it's difficult to get from suburban Metra train station to office in the suburbs, which is highly likely), as Western suburbs go, I like Hinsdale and Oakbrk. I live in the city......what do I know.

I'm ready to purchase a cave, four large one person dogs, and stock up on books. Or trade residences with Ciao for a year. Italy vs. Chicago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago