Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:28 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle29 View Post
I am a 29 year old woman moving by myself to Chicago around April (March is too cold and the roads) and I have a couple of questions.

Since I'm moving by myself, could someone suggest a good neighborhood that's relatively safe.

I don't know many people in Chicago and I heard crime is kind of high but I want to rent an apartment in an new neighborhood where I can fend for myself better.

Also I make around 30000 a year, is there a safe, kind of inexpensive neighborhood that fits my profile?

Thank you for your responses.
Michelle

I saw your posting on the Milwaukee board. You were concerned about crime in Milwaukee. I've lived in Milwaukee and Chicago. For someone making 30k, I'd say stay in the east side of Milwaukee. Chicago is just too expensive. You won't be able to afford Lincoln Park, Lake View or Wrigleyville. Yes Milwaukee is slipping, but the East Side is Great. If you were making 70k, then I'd consider the move. But you're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Michelle

I saw your posting on the Milwaukee board. You were concerned about crime in Milwaukee. I've lived in Milwaukee and Chicago. For someone making 30k, I'd say stay in the east side of Milwaukee. Chicago is just too expensive. You won't be able to afford Lincoln Park, Lake View or Wrigleyville. Yes Milwaukee is slipping, but the East Side is Great. If you were making 70k, then I'd consider the move. But you're not.
I lived just fine in Chicago (Lincoln Square) when I was making 31K when I first moved here. It's plenty doable.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Michelle

I lived in Chicago on $39K for a few years and did FINE. I went out multiple times a week, had a car(which I finally ditched and saved a lot), took 5-6 trips a year via airplane that cost a ton.

$30K in Chicago is rough, but definitely doable if you just budget yourself and don't think you can go crazy with the going out and eating out.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:36 PM

343 posts, read 1,608,364 times
Sounds like you might be moving out of the house for the first time.....that might be more of an issue than Chicago itself, re making new friends and being away from family and all. If thats the case, you certainly wont be too far away. And 30K might be a
tough nut to crack in any decent area in Chicago, depending on if you wanted to go out and do things on anything approaching a regular basis/go out to eat. You will save money by not driving, but now that they are jacking up the CTA prices, maybe not so much as before. Per 30K areas, that would exclude most of the north side, if you plan on not rooming with anyone. It's stil doable on the north side if you get a studio for like
600 a month or so, but you may feel bad not being able to do anything while so much is going on around you. Again, jogging is free, along with the parks. I recommend rooming with someone on craigslist, so you have a few bucks left to do a few things.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 AM

47 posts, read 155,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
You need to figure out what your budget is for rent. Exactly how much per month do you want to spend?
the most I will pay is 750 but it has to include rent

Quote:
Michelle

I'm looking toward the south side after reading this board. I lived on the East Side of Milwaukee for 3 years and those were some of the best years of my life staying on that side of town but the rest of Milwaukee is turning into a gutter.

do you think it would be possible to live in Chicago while making 30k a year and go to school? I only need like one more year.

Also I make 30k here in Milwaukee but wouldn't that be more in Chicago because the cost of living is higher?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:56 AM

47 posts, read 155,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I lived just fine in Chicago (Lincoln Square) when I was making 31K when I first moved here. It's plenty doable.
Thank gawd! I needed to see this post. As long as I see it's doable.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:37 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
You're looking to spend under 750 on everything? If you have a roommate, that's a snap. You can find studios for under 600 if you look in the right spot. I will say that living in Chicago, going to school, and getting by on under 30 grand would be REALLY tight without a roommate. Possible. Just tight.

After reading this board you're looking toward the South Side????

What posts did you read?

Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle29 View Post

I'm looking toward the south side after reading this board.
You're gonna wish you stayed on Milwaukee's east side if you head to Chicago's South side.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Default I did it.

I moved to Chicago from Milwaukee's East Side when I was 28, and probably made about $36,000 at the time. It was tough, but I did find a roommate, and that helped considerably.

I would DEFINITELY avoid any South Side neighbohrood if you're a single girl. Edgewater and Rogers Park are a little bit rough in some spots, but much safer than 90% of the South Side. You could afford great appartments there. But the safest inexpensive neighborhoods are on the Northwest side. They're just a bit dull. If I were you, I'd find a roommate on Craigslist and live in Lakeview without a car. You'll have the most fun that way.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:40 PM

88 posts, read 214,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
come on, you're coming from milwaukee and you're worried about the crime in chicago?
lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: