Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,685,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If you like mountains and such but also more of a city feel I'd honestly think about Denver. I love Chicago, but if I wanted something a bit smaller and less expensive I would def. move to Denver.
You can pretend that the Sears Tower and the Hancock Building are mountains!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,848,733 times
Yea, lose the pick up truck. Not a practical car for the city, plus it's totally flat here. A truck is overkill. You won't be doing any 4 wheelin', that's for sure.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:18 AM

2,299 posts, read 6,158,988 times
I would second a look at Denver. I was there in September. It actually has a very nice urban core. Not anywhere near as dense as Chicago, let alone New York. Still, you can find an urban lifestyle there, with much better access to the wilderness then in Chicago. And I think your pickup truck will be much more welcome there!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,613,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You can pretend that the Sears Tower and the Hancock Building are mountains!

When it's relatively colder outside and the lake temp is warmer, there's always a huge bank of clouds over Lake Michigan. On the days I drive in on 290, there's a real short elevated part around central and it absolutely looks like there's purple mountain majesties rising behind the Loop. I haven't yet felt the courage to pull over on that road and take a pic, but it does feel and look like you're in Denver or something. For about 15 seconds.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,667,680 times
I think Denver is probably not the greatest town for an urban enthusiast, though the landscape surrounding the city is beautiful and the weather is probably better than Chicago's. The downtown is dead on the weekends except for one strip--and that strip seems to be really suburban-mall in character in terms of the mix of businesses. There is a small "hip warehouse district", but once again, it's just too small to create any critical mass of things to do. However, Denver does have affordable single-family homes, so it could be a good city for families. I'm not sure what the schools are like, though.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 20,371 times
Chicago is definitely cheaper than NYC, though not by much. It really depends on the neighborhood and your budget. Some areas of Brooklyn and Queens share similarities with some of the areas outside of downtown Chicago, though population density is definitely lower here in Chicago. It is an easy city to navigate for the most part, and seeing as how you are from Brooklyn, our subway system is a piece of cake compared to yours. So if you are considering moving here, I definitely think you would fall right into place, especially on the north side where for the most part things are more easily accessible. As far as broadcasting jobs, they are competitive here but they do exist. Like so many others have said, your best bet is to come here and check it out for yourself first. By the way, my sister moved to Tampa and she misses this city horribly. So, no offense to anyone from there, but if you are used to urban living, Chicago is definitely a good option if going back to NYC is a bit too expensive.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:31 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,170,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
Yea, lose the pick up truck. Not a practical car for the city, plus it's totally flat here. A truck is overkill. You won't be doing any 4 wheelin', that's for sure.
Flat land has nothing to do with 4 wheeling. There are TONS of off-road clubs here and they off-road all over the place. And if the guy cant make it out to the woods to go 'wheelin, he can certainly make use of the 4WD in the snow.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,411,419 times
jessie, any reason you are moving back to chicago? I am actually in the opposite situation... lol...

from florida, now in chicago, and wanting to move to tampa...

maybe I don't wanna be in the situation where I move back to chicago

so maybe I am doing something wrong! lol...

I am looking at tampa/atlanta as big metros to move to... maybe I will miss chicago too much despite the winter...though all my relatives and most friends are still down in the fla/ga area.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 PM

29 posts, read 138,196 times
Default Advice on Chicago reply from husky95

Wow, that’s some advice. To those who have suggested Denver. I’ve been there and it is beautiful city (with a Capital B) but sadly I spent most of my five days sick from the altitude. Its 5,277-Ft was a bit much for me. If I went in that direction I had an altitude of 1000-3000, at the most, in mind. I did love the area and do plan to go back, but on vacations. One other reason is that my family is in New York. I do like that my pickup would be welcomed, however.
Are SUV’s unwelcome in Chicago?
Should I go to Chicago, or NY for that matter I plan on using the trains the car will only come out on the weekends.
I like having a 4-wheel drive for the snow. I could part with the pickup I want to get a new vehicle anyhow. I’ve never done much off road. The pickup idea was mainly for moving things around. I seem to have a relocation problem.
KevK,
that was funny. Pretend the Sears Tower and Hancock buildings are mountains. LOL. I noticed you spelt neighborhood with like neighbourhoods which suggests an English or Canadian background.
Nct4life
I’m prepared for the expenses of a city. Though California is the winner hands down on expensive living. I said above I have a relocation problem, but not for the reasons many might think. I’ll have to explain that later this reply is getting a bit long. I have done a lot of research on the area. I have the Chicago visitors’ guide and a map of the area, that Rand NcNally easy to fold map of North Chicago, and downtown. It also has some of South downtown. The uptown area around W Sunnyside Ave and N Sheridan RD was where I was thinking about looking into. If I’m reading the map right the red line should go straight into the loop area. I see a few that seem to go to the loop, the brown lines and blue. I would probably fit in a bit. I kinda of wish to be there now falls is here and soon winter, I do miss 4 seasons.
Thanks to all of you for the ideas.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM

29 posts, read 138,196 times
Default reply to nct4life

I had forgotten to mention that you wrote your sister moved here I kinda wonder why? I feel that way too. I miss not living in a city. What attracted me to Chicago was that not only is it a little cheaper but it is a bit less dense than NYC. And its location is nice. I can drive to NY and out to my nature areas, Montana and Colorado. I will drive to places more these days than get on a plane. I don’t have the temperament for the crazy security measures theses days. I know its for a good cause, to keep us safe, but it does become as hassle. That's why the pickup came in so handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago