Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Miami does have more media exposure world wide than Chicago does. That's not a knock on Chi town either but people world wide have heard of Miami more than Chicago. Of course having the President of the US come from the Windy city has elevated it to international exposure.
Miami is so unique in the U.S., i think it's definitely deserving of it's recognition.

Chicago will always be a 2nd fiddle to New York City, in my mind. NYC is pretty amazing, so you can be pretty amazing like Chicago, and have a ton to offer. But NYC just has a tad bit more.

Miami would be a 10th or 15th fiddle or something to NYC, but just seems so incredibly different, that I can see why it get's its explosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Until you've seen a Great Lake, you can't really understand how similar it is to being on a huge bay or the ocean. If the city just decided to dump an ungodly amount of salt in the Lake and rename it Sea of Michigan, that would go a long way. I'm only half joking here.
So true!

Being from Michigan, I've routinely surprised how many people imagine 'Iowa' or 'Nebraska'...just some monolithic land-locked cornfield with industrial deteriotation in places.

'Sea of Michigan' would certainly better describe the feel of the Great Lakes along the waters. 'Lakes' is just such an understatement.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:24 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
I hear that BUT I've met folks from Tennessee and they'd be more likely to visit Chicago since they're so close to the Midwest. Most people I met from Tennessee (didn't meet them in IL) had been to Chicago before but not necessarily NYC.

With New Mexico, yeah maybe they'd be more likely to hit up NY. But to a lot of people there, it's probably a lot more likely they might end up visiting Los Angeles or Houston (sprawling sunbelt-ish cities, true) 10X more than hitting up Chicago or NYC unless it's for a business trip or to visit family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
He was just using Arizona as an example, you could insert New Mexico or Tennessee. Same scenario.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I hear that BUT I've met folks from Tennessee and they'd be more likely to visit Chicago since they're so close to the Midwest. Most people I met from Tennessee (didn't meet them in IL) had been to Chicago before but not necessarily NYC.

With New Mexico, yeah maybe they'd be more likely to hit up NY. But to a lot of people there, it's probably a lot more likely they might end up visiting Los Angeles or Houston (sprawling sunbelt-ish cities, true) 10X more than hitting up Chicago or NYC unless it's for a business trip or to visit family.
You are still taking it too literally. I still don't mean Tennessee or New Mexico, just saying NYC has a much bigger culture draw in the U.S. and around the globe than Chicago does. I am not sure why you think they are likely to go to NYC only for a business trip or family.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You really don't know much about Miami then. Throw the name around in Europe or Asia and they know Miami. I'm not saying they don't know Chicago as well but most couldn't even name the state it's in.
So now we're measuring a city's media presence based on how many people around the world know what state it's in? Man, Washington D.C. is so screwed.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,339 times
EuroMonitor US city ranking of most visited cities by international visitors, 2010:

New York 9.0 million
Miami 6.0 million
Las Vegas 5.1 million
Los Angeles 4.6 million
Orlando 3.3 million
San Francisco 2.9 million
Seattle 1.9 million
DC 1.6 million
Chicago 1.3 million

Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
EuroMonitor US city ranking of most visited cities by international visitors, 2010:

New York 9.0 million
Miami 6.0 million
Las Vegas 5.1 million
Los Angeles 4.6 million
Orlando 3.3 million
San Francisco 2.9 million
Seattle 1.9 million
DC 1.6 million
Chicago 1.3 million
I highly doubt Seattle gets visited ore than Chicago and DC. Or Miami THAT much more than LA.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I highly doubt Seattle gets visited ore than Chicago and DC. Or Miami THAT much more than LA.
Seattle doesn't surprise me. People from Asia love to go to Seattle and San Fran, plus don't forget how close Seattle is to Vancouver, Victoria, etc. Canadians are international visitors, too.

Miami surprises me a little more. If anything, when I think of international visitors going to Florida I think of Orlando. I'll admit I don't know much about Miami, though. Their behemoth media machine has apparently somehow failed to reach me.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
I would say that Chicago does come across as touristy, just not at the top of the tourist food chain like some on here fancy it should be. It does not bring in the tourists like NYC, Miami, or Vegas do; however, compared to most American cities I think it does quite well. It seems like there is a constant stream of tourists up and down Michigan Avenue, even if the vast majority of them are regional. I even see some international tourists here from time to time as well.

Cities that don't come across as touristy would be places like St. Louis, Denver, or Sacramento. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Frankly, Chicago's best feature that will attract visitors is its "big city" experience and it will always be second fiddle to NYC in that regard.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 AM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Seattle doesn't surprise me. People from Asia love to go to Seattle and San Fran, plus don't forget how close Seattle is to Vancouver, Victoria, etc. Canadians are international visitors, too.

Miami surprises me a little more. If anything, when I think of international visitors going to Florida I think of Orlando. I'll admit I don't know much about Miami, though. Their behemoth media machine has apparently somehow failed to reach me.
That makes perfect sense. I too was a little about Seattle.

While Miami does seem a bit high, it is top on the radar screen for South Americans. Telemundo and Univision are headquartered there. A lot of wealthy South Americans I believe have second homes there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago