Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Chicago draws a lot of international tourists. You can hear Germans at many spots on North Michigan Ave
It is within driving distance to another world city. We call it Toronto though we often disregard it because its across international border.
How many international tourists are going to drive 8 hours from Chicago to Toronto... How many Chicagoans will even do it? Most of them would fly I imagine. The East Coast cities at this point have high speed rail and are mostly like going from Chicago into Milwaukee, so more bang for your buck as an international visitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM

389 posts, read 920,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
How many international tourists are going to drive 8 hours from Chicago to Toronto... How many Chicagoans will even do it? Most of them would fly I imagine. The East Coast cities at this point have high speed rail and are mostly like going from Chicago into Milwaukee, so more bang for your buck as an international visitor.
Not many, but it's doable in summer if you stay for 2 weeks and have a car.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:53 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Chicago draws a lot of international tourists. You can hear Germans at many spots on North Michigan Ave
It is within driving distance to another world city. We call it Toronto though we often disregard it because its across international border.
Sorry, but I've never heard any domestic or international visitors to Chicago thinking about its proximity to Toronto. Gee, let's make a 1,000+ mile round-trip drive to Toronto and spend two full days to do it. Toronto is disregarded in Chicago because of its distant location, not because its in Canada.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep, exactly. When I was in Turkey, anytime I said I am from Chicago, the only thing they'd say was "ahhhh Michael Jordan! You know him??"
That most have been 20 years ago.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
I think its the weather. If people from Europe want to go shopping in a huge city they fly to NYC over Chicago.
Chicago also gets very cold so that's another drawback for tourists.. however, i have never met anybody in the world who is not very familiar with Chicago. I have lived in several countries and Chicago has always been up there among NYC, WA DC and LA. People go to
Miami for the weather, that's about it.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
If Chicago (521 miles) is driving distance from Toronto, then NYC (471 miles) is, too.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 AM

410 posts, read 491,769 times
Because it's in the midwest and it isn't a main city for media (movies, major networking channels, fashion etc.).

Old 11-06-2012, 07:26 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
Detroit & especially Buffalo (NY) are much closer to Toronto distance-wise than Chicago is. It's not considered to be a close by city over here since it would take literally all day and some of the evening to drive there.

Quote:

Old 11-06-2012, 08:51 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
I've hosted dozens of international visitors in my home. No one who's primary destination has been Chicago has driven to Toronto or even asked about it. I have had guests who've been on a driving tour of North America who have driven between Toronto and Chicago, but both were just two more cities on their larger trip. I'd say about 1/3 of my Toronto-based guests have driven, most of the rest have flown, although at least one has taken a bus between the two.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That most have been 20 years ago.
MJ still has one of the most recognizable faces in the world, and is still the biggest human brand in the world. He put basketball and Chicago on the global map, and continues to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago