Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:15 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1ego View Post
MJ still has one of the most recognizable faces in the world,
Perhaps.

Quote:
and is still the biggest human brand in the world.
No.

Quote:
He put basketball and Chicago on the global map,
Basketball, yes. Chicago for a certain population/generation, perhaps.

Quote:
and continues to do so.
No.

I guarantee you most people under 30 around the world don't even know who he is, unless they're NBA fanatics, in which case he might be the third player they name after LeBron and Yao Ming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:39 PM

289 posts, read 396,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've hosted dozens of international visitors in my home. No one who's primary destination has been Chicago has driven to Toronto or even asked about it. I have had guests who've been on a driving tour of North America who have driven between Toronto and Chicago, but both were just two more cities on their larger trip. I'd say about 1/3 of my Toronto-based guests have driven, most of the rest have flown, although at least one has taken a bus between the two.
More than 20 years living in Chicago and the only time that I visited Toronto by car was on a family road trip when the CDN dollar was really weak against the USD. I do find myself in MDW every month or two and do meet a lot more canadians flying from Toronto back and forth on Porter than I used to. Totally anecdotal though.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM

99 posts, read 218,451 times
Chicago isn't cheesy touristy like Vegas or Orlando, but it certainly has a large foot print. I visited the city last year and I'm planning to visit either Chicago or Boston next month.

I also love that accommodations (hostels in my case) are so affordable especially when compared to NYC.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:58 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post

I guarantee you most people under 30 around the world don't even know who he is, unless they're NBA fanatics, in which case he might be the third player they name after LeBron and Yao Ming.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I agree. I would think Cobe Bryant would be more recognizable now days. I am 36 and I barely remember him. I mean, I do know who he is ofcource and I know that he was the greatest basketball players of all times, but just like you said, if I were born in 1982 instead of 1976 I would barley know anything about him.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I agree. I would think Cobe Bryant would be more recognizable now days. I am 36 and I barely remember him. I mean, I do know who he is ofcource and I know that he was the greatest basketball players of all times, but just like you said, if I were born in 1982 instead of 1976 I would barley know anything about him.
And you live in the U.S.! Imagine living overseas and knowing about him. Now imagine living overseas, knowing about him, and associating him with Chicago. Not going to happen.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I find that hard to believe, I am half a decade younger than you and watched MJ in his prime...the 90s were contained all my teenage year. You must have just not been a big nba fan... b/c you would have been like 14-24 from 90-2000... prime Jordan viewing years. Everybody I know knew who MJ was. Your basketball credibility goes out the door right off the bat b/c you spelled Kobe as Cobe... :I

I'm not sure if you are the best test candidate for sports knowledge.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:39 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,545 times
People still know who Pele is. MJ is the Pele of basketball, which now is the second most popular sport worldwide. American kids know who Babe Ruth is. Wasn't MJ one of Chicago's ambassadors in the failed Olympic bid?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

I'm not sure if you are the best test candidate for sports knowledge.
Actually, he's the perfect candidate in this context. The argument being made was that Jordan is still very famous all over the world with regular people who know about Chicago because of him. That's what is being highly doubted. Nobody is doubting that American hard-core NBA fans who grew up in the 90's remember him --That would be silly.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Actually, he's the perfect candidate in this context. The argument being made was that Jordan is still very famous all over the world with regular people who know about Chicago because of him. That's what is being highly doubted. Nobody is doubting that American hard-core NBA fans who grew up in the 90's remember him --That would be silly.
Yeah, you are probably right. I feel bad though if they missed out on Jordan, I mean, basketball, or any sport, he was just a spectacular human specimen. Yeah I don't know if people know about Chi b/c of MJ. In my travels I have heard the gangster reputation comments though.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
And you live in the U.S.! Imagine living overseas and knowing about him. Now imagine living overseas, knowing about him, and associating him with Chicago. Not going to happen.

I grew up in Sweden, so yea, I remember air hordans but I never knew how MJ looked liked until much later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago