Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:51 PM

389 posts, read 920,850 times

Advertisements

You can read more about it on the airport's page.

According to the article, it was voted by business travelers. What sorts of amenities Ohare has that it deserves so high ranking? Their domestic terminals are very decent. You can have a great steak with eggs in Goose Island bar in Terminal 3. But there are few things missing there other airports have. For example, notice International Terminal 5 does have very poor choice of restaurants and when you pass the security line there is almost nothing there. When I visited SFO, I was nicely impressed by its modern design and large number of charge stations with tables where you could sit down and eat. Midway Airport has past the security line central food court. Also at SFO, you can get more healthy stuff than at ORD.

There are few things I haven't taken into account. For example free wi-fi is not important to me. After spending $300+ for a ticket, $5 is nothing. "free" is usually offered only im smaller airports. However those perks like on-site car rental easily accessibly either by walking distance or airport train count. Ohare has an attached Hilton hotel which is a big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 07:56 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times
I simply adore O'Hare.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 AM

389 posts, read 920,850 times
I like United's terminal with neon lights.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:10 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
O'Hare isn't even the best airport in Chicago.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,545 times
The international terminal is getting a huge redesign. The renders look nice.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,327 times
O'Hare is great if you have to kill time for a flight and is very convenient. I have never gotten bored there as it offers enough for you to do.

However, if there is ont thing that I hate about O'Hare is that it can be stressful. O'Hare is so huge, so crowded, so busy that it can be extremely stressful. Midway is such an easy place to fly out of, but then at the same time too small, so i fyou get delayed for eight hours on a plane you might want to shoot yourself being stuck at Midway.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:57 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
O'Hare is great if you have to kill time for a flight
...which is likely, since it is ranked #1 for highest percentage of delayed flights.

Personally, I like an airport I can get to easily, park at easily, get through easily, and get out of on time. I don't much care how good their eggs are.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:25 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
I was never impressed, or thought much about, airports in America until I experienced the airport in Rome. It was chaos incarnate... it looked like an evacuation. No one had any idea what was going on. The length of the lines was utterly unbelievable. We came 3, 4 hours early and barely made our flight. We had to switch lines 3 times and were finally told to stand in a line--I am serious--that was marked for Tel Aviv even though we were flying to Chicago.

May be a stereotype but my best airport experience by far was in Germany. Especially coming out of Rome. It was strikingly clean, efficient, orderly, modern and went off like clockwork.

O'Hare's not bad, though.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
However, if there is ont thing that I hate about O'Hare is that it can be stressful. O'Hare is so huge, so crowded, so busy that it can be extremely stressful. Midway is such an easy place to fly out of, but then at the same time too small, so i fyou get delayed for eight hours on a plane you might want to shoot yourself being stuck at Midway.
What I hate about O'Hare is that you cannot get to your car with your bags in under an hour. At Midway, I am generally to my car in 30-35 minutes. And General Mitchell can be even quicker.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
I have always liked O Hare and I was a business traveler going all over the country. I felt it had the best facilities, the best shops and restaurants and the best bathrooms. True that it is huge and maybe confusing to many. You only get to appreciate Ohare if you have been to other airports and seen how they compare. True there are many small airports that might be easier to get in and out of than O Hare but if you compare it to the larger airports it is one of the best. Not saying the flights are on time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago