U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM

12,063 posts, read 30,216,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
How much you think 10-13k of savings would last me without a job?

Same expenses. Food, rent with roomies (possibly a hostel), CTA, phone bill. I wonder if a landlord wouldnt take me if I didnt have a job. Often times though, I find that that doesnt happen as much with roommates or non-leases. They just wanna know you can pay.

I would think it could last me at least 6 months. I should probably apply to temp agencies too.
This is your biggest issue. Some sort of sub-let, roommate rental type thing is going to be your best bet unless you can put down something like 6 months of rent upfront.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 03:18 PM

15,335 posts, read 22,300,263 times
Quote:
Thats kinda how I feel. Like im running outta time with this. I dont wanna get to Chicago by my early-mid 30s. Noooooo way.
Well, if Korea is for one year, then you aren't in any danger of getting to Chicago by your early to mid 30s. It's just one year and it'll have better long term benefits IMO.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:06 PM

778 posts, read 938,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
I also think the Korea option sounds better since it actually fits with your long-term career objectives (rather than just being a year of hanging out in Asia doing the typical thing American 20-somethings do when wanting to spend a year hanging out in Asia).

If you're right about it giving you a financial leg-up, then it gives you that plus experience that will be beneficial for your career.

I know someone in DePaul's dual general+special ed graduate program who did the same thing, just in Taiwan. She doesn't seem to have any regrets about it.

Interesting.

I talk frequently with my brother who is on his second stint teaching ESL in the ROK. He said I need to act now, because the cuts are coming to GEPIK, SMOE, etc. I know about five people that have taught out there. Another person in Shanghai too.

Its the easiest option at the moment and honestly, a major perk for many people that do it is that they manage to save at least 50-60% of their incomes. So in other words, its realistic to come back to America in a year with 12-13k in savings.

Do I really need that much without a job, in Chicago? Obviously, any massive amount of savings is good, but I would think 12k in savings would be more than enough while finding work. I would keep costs as minimal as possible while job hunting.

Thats what I want to do. Gen Ed + SpEd. DePaul, huh? I may have to look into that myself.

I really wanna get out there ASAP. I would find a job here that would allow me to save about 3-5k and move sooner, but its 3-5k in savings, sooner vs. 12k in a year. Savings vs time. Decisions, decisions.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:42 PM

289 posts, read 376,104 times
Quote:
should I transfer out my low-paying retail job in a few months with about 2-3k in savings, or...
Make sure you can transfer your job and that you can get a place to stay before anything. Otherwise, it's a non sequitur. Also, have you applied for a Masters program in Chicago yet, and what would that cost?

2-3k isn't much after a possible first months rent and security deposit.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Make sure you can transfer your job and that you can get a place to stay before anything. Otherwise, it's a non sequitur. Also, have you applied for a Masters program in Chicago yet, and what would that cost?

2-3k isn't much after a possible first months rent and security deposit.

Depends. Ill field the schools (UIC, DePaul), but the costs are too high right now. One reason for an ASAP move is for residency. Otherwise, ill just go online for it.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM

Ive been reading and talking to a lot of folks about Hagwons in Korea, which do not have a great reputation.

Since its an employers market out there now, jobs are competitive, and hagwons are notorious for firing their ESL teachers to avoid having to pay their bonus/airfare, grueling working conditions, added rules, many things upon arrival are not promised or stated as in contract, etc.

Korea isnt the home run some of you are making it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: