Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times

Advertisements

Work in Korea for a year, get some money, then move here. I have a few friends who taught English in Korea and loved it. Korean food is awesome too...

I think in the long run it'll help you out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:56 PM

778 posts, read 997,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Work in Korea for a year, get some money, then move here. I have a few friends who taught English in Korea and loved it. Korean food is awesome too...

I think in the long run it'll help you out more.

I agree there. My bro is on his 2nd stint and I have 4 other friends that did it as well.

The tough thing here is that I really wanna get to Chi ASAP since im in my late 20s. Sounds extremely stupid, I know.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:59 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
I agree there. My bro is on his 2nd stint and I have 4 other friends that did it as well.

The tough thing here is that I really wanna get to Chi ASAP.
Yeah, I know what you mean. Have you worked in retail or restaurants before? If you do the international thing too, it's pretty attractive on a resume. There's plenty of retail and restaurants here, but I think it'll be easier if you've worked in that before.

If you have $2000-$3000 in savings, it will last a few months. Say $700/month for rent max after utilities if you plan on living alone, plus $86/month for CTA unlimited if you find yourself going all around. Plus say hmm $100/month in food (maybe less..depends on how you eat and if you know how to cook for yourself), plus say like $50/month for cell phone? So maybe like $900 something a month for everything. That'll afford you 2-3 months living here without a job.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean. Have you worked in retail or restaurants before? If you do the international thing too, it's pretty attractive on a resume. There's plenty of retail and restaurants here, but I think it'll be easier if you've worked in that before.

Yeah I have worked in both before.

Basically, the only hold up really is that Korea burns an automatic year off and by the time I would get to Chicago, id be 28/29.

I tried for a bit to field jobs in Korea since I got all of my documents done in September, and I didnt hear much then. Korea isnt the guarantee it was since they wanna use robots completely by 2015. Kimmigration is making it tougher and tougher for Americans to get hired overseas as well. Too many idiots went there to wine and dine and not take the teaching part seriously, and studies have shown that Korean ESL teachers are no different in performance than Native English speakers. Their preferences now are more geared towards females over males as well.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
If you have $2000-$3000 in savings, it will last a few months. Say $700/month for rent max after utilities if you plan on living alone, plus $86/month for CTA unlimited if you find yourself going all around. Plus say hmm $100/month in food (maybe less..depends on how you eat and if you know how to cook for yourself), plus say like $50/month for cell phone? So maybe like $900 something a month for everything. That'll afford you 2-3 months living here without a job.

I did NJ on $1500 in savings and took my job with me. So its basically what I would do now with Chicago, but save another 1k more about.

I have always lived on a tight budget of saving up and sacrificing certain things, so that part of it is no issue. My only expenses would be rent, food, CTA, phone bill and maybe a weekend night out. I also would prefer roommates at this point in time. $7-$800/month total expenses is more realistic.

I would try to score a 2nd job actually.

Wasnt aware id be able to find my own place for $700 though. Studios?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:20 PM

The verdict here seems to be Korea, so I will look into it more now.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Default My dearest young man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
The verdict here seems to be Korea, so I will look into it more now.
you're still young (despite what you think or feel) so if you feel that strongly about getting into Chicago ASAP...GO FOR IT. Just be prepared for a continuation of your austerity measures when it comes to your personal finances, that's all.

Best wishes, sincerely, whatever you decide to do.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
So maybe like $900 something a month for everything. That'll afford you 2-3 months living here without a job.

How much you think 10-13k of savings would last me without a job?

Same expenses. Food, rent with roomies (possibly a hostel), CTA, phone bill. I wonder if a landlord wouldnt take me if I didnt have a job. Often times though, I find that that doesnt happen as much with roommates or non-leases. They just wanna know you can pay.

I would think it could last me at least 6 months. I should probably apply to temp agencies too.

Last edited by Heyooooo; 11-04-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-04-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
you're still young (despite what you think or feel)

Thats kinda how I feel. Like im running outta time with this. I dont wanna get to Chicago by my early-mid 30s. Noooooo way.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:46 PM

483 posts, read 841,868 times
I also think the Korea option sounds better since it actually fits with your long-term career objectives (rather than just being a year of hanging out in Asia doing the typical thing American 20-somethings do when wanting to spend a year hanging out in Asia).

If you're right about it giving you a financial leg-up, then it gives you that plus experience that will be beneficial for your career.

I know someone in DePaul's dual general+special ed graduate program who did the same thing, just in Taiwan. She doesn't seem to have any regrets about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: