Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:22 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times

Advertisements

Threats!

Seriously now, I don't bother people who are reading, and have done the crossword myself at bars before, which I've always taken as a pretty clear signal that I'm not much for talk. I guess I'm just whining because the bar culture in general here seems different from other places I've lived. You hang with your crew or alone, then go home, free of long, good, drunken chats with strangers. God, I miss those! I've bitched to my friends about this phenomenon before, and of the ones who have noticed (some are all, "Huh. I guess I never paid attention), they don't seem to mind. That's apparently just the way it is. I suppose I'm done whining about this for now, but if someone knows of friendly parts of town with a congenial bars, let me know! Sometimes it's good to get drunk and talk to someone who hasn't heard all of my jokes before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Seems to me the less popular/packed/busy a bar is, the more likely you are to successfully strike up conversations with strangers.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,043 times
Huh. I prefer smallish to medium sized crowds; I like to be able to hear myself think and get a seat. The the only people who ever talk to me are creepy old guys hitting on me, or young guys (usually not creepy) hitting on me. Oh my god, how I am a magnet for dirty old men and young boys. But that's a different topic. I talk to people when I'm out depending on my mood, and they always are nice and talk back, but I'm not worried about my personality ability to chat people up. I'm lamenting that I tend to notice the entire room is in one of two groups: People kibitzing with their pals, people alone glued to their phones. Gah!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Huh. I prefer smallish to medium sized crowds; I like to be able to hear myself think and get a seat. The the only people who ever talk to me are creepy old guys hitting on me, or young guys (usually not creepy) hitting on me. Oh my god, how I am a magnet for dirty old men and young boys. But that's a different topic. I talk to people when I'm out depending on my mood, and they always are nice and talk back, but I'm not worried about my personality ability to chat people up. I'm lamenting that I tend to notice the entire room is in one of two groups: People kibitzing with their pals, people alone glued to their phones. Gah!
Or glued to their newspapers.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

162 posts, read 458,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
There's a lot of anti-club mentality in Chicago, I remember "clubbers" were always seen as being radically different from everyone else.
I think you make a valid point.

While I don't get to go to those types of venues often anymore, I do enjoy a good DJ/wearing something other than jeans every now and then. Sadly, all but a few of my friends have dubbed it doucheland and refuse to go with me.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:32 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Rae View Post
all but a few of my friends have dubbed it doucheland
It sounds like all but a few of your friends are pretty smart. You should probably listen to them.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM

162 posts, read 458,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
It sounds like all but a few of your friends are pretty smart. You should probably listen to them.
LOL!

Noted.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 PM

283 posts, read 447,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarelyOffended View Post
The rave/EDM scene is legendary and is still going strong, from what my friends in their early-to-mid-20's tell me. I'd personally rather poke my ear drums out with a stick.
Somewhat. There occasionally (once or twice a month) are good sized events in the city or somewhere in a bum**** area. Sometimes they have NERF wars and LARPs

EDIT: I dont know what happens in other places so i cant compare.

Last edited by Warsie; 11-15-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago