Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,214 times

Advertisements

Of course it's everywhere, but it's at a different level in Chicago.

Minneapolis isn't as fanatical about the Vikings or Twins, Kansas City isn't as fanatical about the Chiefs or Royals. The only place that comes close to Chicago's sports obsession (specifically Bears/Cubs) would be the Packers in all of Wisconsin.

For some reason, the Bulls aren't as big a deal as you think they would be in Chicago and really do get overshadowed by the Bears or Cubs, no matter how bad those are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
By the way, this is the Midwest and often the dress code is "casual". Compare that to New york where i understand that they have it like Studio 54 - where the entrance was roped off. You had to look spectacular to get in. Even the more beautiful ones got dissed ,, so i think its the culture of the city. You are going to find more jeans and tee shirts here in chicago than Miami, New York and L.A.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:54 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
By the way, this is the Midwest and often the dress code is "casual". Compare that to New york where i understand that they have it like Studio 54 - where the entrance was roped off. You had to look spectacular to get in. Even the more beautiful ones got dissed ,, so i think its the culture of the city. You are going to find more jeans and tee shirts here in chicago than Miami, New York and L.A.
Hmm . . .

LA in some ways is more casual than Chicago, but in LA they are more likely to take casual seriously.

You don't see as many suits in LA as you do in Chicago, but you do see a lot more designer jeans and designer t-shirts I'd say.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
The only place that comes close to Chicago's sports obsession (specifically Bears/Cubs) would be the Packers in all of Wisconsin.
Spoken like someone who has spent little if any time outside of the two-state area.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:46 PM

289 posts, read 396,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
I found a couple places and they shut down. Also, I the club thing, I am a little too old for it but like dancing so that is a dilemma.

That is why I am trying out Vertigo tonight.
Get out of your bubble.

I have the perfect spot for you.

Totally chill, you can dance and not be pressured to drink, and ladies are always welcome!

Sexty Sex Lounge, West Englewood | Metromix Chicago

Old 11-10-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Spoken like someone who has spent little if any time outside of the two-state area.
There's nothing wrong with it...I've never quite understood why that makes people in Chicago mad. In LA, they don't have a pro football team, they don't care. Sports matter there obviously, but it's just not the same as the "way of life" sports culture you'll find in Chicago.

Just imagine if the Bears left Chicago. I'm trying to quantify how many adult males would actually cry over that. Probably a lot.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,396 times
Quote:
Of course it's everywhere, but it's at a different level in Chicago.

Minneapolis isn't as fanatical about the Vikings or Twins, Kansas City isn't as fanatical about the Chiefs or Royals. The only place that comes close to Chicago's sports obsession (specifically Bears/Cubs) would be the Packers in all of Wisconsin.

For some reason, the Bulls aren't as big a deal as you think they would be in Chicago and really do get overshadowed by the Bears or Cubs, no matter how bad those are.
Green Bay?

No...

Try Philadelphia and/or Boston. They're much more sports-crazed than Green Bay. Chicago is right there with those two.

Green Bay doesn't compare to these 3.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 AM

289 posts, read 396,417 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with it...I've never quite understood why that makes people in Chicago mad. In LA, they don't have a pro football team, they don't care. Sports matter there obviously, but it's just not the same as the "way of life" sports culture you'll find in Chicago.

Just imagine if the Bears left Chicago. I'm trying to quantify how many adult males would actually cry over that. Probably a lot.
LA has been working hard to poach the Chargers from SD. The dodgers are the west coast Cub's, aside from the fact that the Cubs have been broadcast by a national network for a very long time. The Lakers have caused riots. The LA Galaxy didn't sign Beckham for a quarter of a billion dollars for nothing.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
LA has been working hard to poach the Chargers from SD. The dodgers are the west coast Cub's, aside from the fact that the Cubs have been broadcast by a national network for a very long time. The Lakers have caused riots. The LA Galaxy didn't sign Beckham for a quarter of a billion dollars for nothing.
LA isn't sports-crazed like Chicago/Boston/Philly/NYC. Maybe Lakers fans, but aside from that, there's nothing else to suggest that LA is sports-crazed even with all the number of teams they have there. It's similar to Dallas... the Cowboys are the Lakers... then there's everything else.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
I really can't see Beckham having played anywhere besides LA, even for more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago