Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You do? If he meant something other than "Waahhh, I know nothing about architecture or anything else, but I don't like this!" then I have no idea what it was.

Lighten up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
You do? If he meant something other than "Waahhh, I know nothing about architecture or anything else, but I don't like this!" then I have no idea what it was.
You must be the life of the party wherever you go.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You must be the life of the party wherever you go.
I have no complaints. Just responding as called for, but thanks for your concern.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Goldberg, who died in 1997, designed Prentice with an eye to improving health care. The building is round with a central core to give better sight lines and closer care from the central nursing station.
Since I have intimate experience with both the new Rush Hospital and the UofC Pavilion, (even the new Silver Cross in New Lenox) I can sate with confidence, that this nurse station centric location is now repeated as a standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
From my POV, which has no bearing, it doesn't look or feel Chicago. I reminds me a building that would be better placed in LA or Vegas.
Quote:
It was designed by Bertrand Goldberg, one of Chicago’s most important native architects, who is best known as the designer of the “corncob” towers of Marina City.
Sounds to me like the perfect location for it.

Quote:
Prentice’s history is rich and the building possesses significance on multiple levels:
1. Its clover-shaped tower is a poured concrete cantilevered shell that is extremely rare
and possibly unique in the history of structural engineering. In 1975, Prentice was a
groundbreaking example of the structural possibilities of poured concrete, one of the signature building materials of late modernist architecture, and was lauded as
revolutionary at the time of its construction by critics in every camp, from The
Engineering News-Record to The Museum of Modern Art.
2. Prentice was designed using the Finite Element Method of structural analysis and an
extremely early example of three-dimensional computer modeling software developed inhouse by Goldberg and his colleagues at a time when computer drawing was still in its
infancy. In the early 1970s 3-D modeling was almost unheard of in architectural practice,
but it is now standard, making Prentice an important precursor to the practice of
architectural design as we know it today.
3. Prentice’s architect, Bertrand Goldberg, is recognized by the historical and
architectural communities as a significant figure in American modernist design. In
addition to the Marina City complex, arguably the best-recognized feature of Chicago’s
skyline, Goldberg also designed the Raymond Hilliard Homes in Chinatown, which were
placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007. In 2011 both the Art Institute
of Chicago and the Arts Club of Chicago mounted major exhibitions celebrating and
expanding upon Goldberg’s place in the canon of modernist architecture. Hospital
architecture was one of Goldberg’s lifelong preoccupations, and he felt that Prentice was
the pinnacle of his achievements in this area.
4. Programmatically, Prentice was at the vanguard of a movement for increased
humanism in hospital architecture that changed the healthcare landscape in the 1970s.
The “quiet village” arrangement of patient bedrooms enabled by Prentice’s four-lobed
floor plan was a leap forward in creating the patient- and family-oriented childbirth
experience that is now the norm in American birthing hospitals, and enabled a higher
standard of care by improving proximity and sight lines between patients and nurses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I love the old Cook County building. Honestly, I'd rather preserve that! Down with the prison....
Honestly, the more I read about it, the more I like the idea of repurposing that as an office space. I just wish they would do SOMETHING with it, instead of allowing it of just rot away.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
^Demolition by neglect is a classic strategy employed by those who want to tear something down. Wait for it to be uninhabitable and then use the very state you personally allowed it to become as your argument against preservation.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default That and ...

..."Greek fire" -- ever notice how resturants that aren't doing well have a suspicious habit of having a smokey grease fire to "rescue" their owner? I tell ya, if you see guys name "Gus" around Prentice smelling of overly toasty bacon CALL 911!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^Demolition by neglect is a classic strategy employed by those who want to tear something down. Wait for it to be uninhabitable and then use the very state you personally allowed it to become as your argument against preservation.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
..."Greek fire" -- ever notice how resturants that aren't doing well have a suspicious habit of having a smokey grease fire to "rescue" their owner? I tell ya, if you see guys name "Gus" around Prentice smelling of overly toasty bacon CALL 911!
Lol! Though we always called it greek lightnening

Old 11-30-2012, 12:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Daley wrote the book on this when it came to the CHA high rise buildings.

The cook county hospital has one thing going for it -- they don't make buildings like that anymore. Back when they over engineered everything and skilled craftsmen were relatively cheap. It'll take a lot for it to just 'fall down.' It may look crappy, but it's still solid.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,279,404 times
Motion DENIED. Bye-bye, eyesoar!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Maybe it should be left standing as a warning to never again let the Bertrand Goldbergs of the world, who try to impose their awful taste on a public that knows better, put their stamp on this city or any other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago