Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 02:30 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times

Advertisements

^No I think you're overcompensating because you seem to be inordinately concerned with how a "man" speaks and thinks. When someone disagrees with you, most people don't automatically consider that person effeminate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 02:46 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^No I think you're overcompensating because you seem to be inordinately concerned with how a "man" speaks and thinks. When someone disagrees with you, most people don't automatically consider that person effeminate.
Ok, if you say so.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:27 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Well, you were responding to my post, right? I don't care what you think or if you agree with me. Who is requiring me to have a weapon? Let's just say that it's a personal requirement.
I an participating in a group discussion, as are you.

And there's no such thing as a "personal requirement" outside of oxygen, food and water. What you have is a preference. That's fine, but hardly the same thing.

I also don't much care if you agree with me, but I do care what you think & why you might disagree with me. Why bother being here otherwise?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Why are you asking me that question? The area that I live in has no bearing on my decision to own a weapon.
The question is so self-explanatory it is almost impossible to express. If you like target shooting or hunting, sure, you get a gun (or you really man up and use your bare hands or a bow and arrow). But you clearly have one for self-defense,

Quote:
That's not something that I worry about. I don't start fights but will defend myself with all the strength and ability that I can muster, if neccessary.
It's something you ought to be concerned about, because I also practice martial arts & have for years, and there are plenty of horror stories out there about guys who were just defending themselves & ended up being prosecuted.

A quick google search turns up lots of these kinds of links:

Self Defense Law

I don't always agree with you, but I'd sure hate to see a decent guy in the situation like the one at the link.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Not only do I own a gun, I have brass knuckes, knives and a black belt in Hapkido. I can also bench press 1.5 times my bodyweight.
I'm not sure what you're attempting to compensate for (though I have a guess or two), but I'm sorry to hear about it, whatever it is, and I hope it gets better.

Quote:
You believe in fear and meanlingless statistics.
Human emotion and math aren't things to be believed in or not believed in. They're not Santa Claus, Jesus, or the Tooth Fairy. They're observable realities.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
OK, I'll bite ChiNaan. Let's see....you're scared of guns.
I'm not scared of guns or even opposed to people's right to own them (within reason). I'm also not opposed to people riding motorcycles, skydiving, rock climbing, drinking whiskey, or smoking cigarettes, all of which are things that carry a certain level of danger and make one statistically more likely to die sooner. What I'm opposed to is anyone claiming that any of these things make them safer. They don't. Period. The data is there- I'm just pointing out the obvious. Don't shoot the messenger. (Pardon the pun.)

Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I'm not scared of guns or even opposed to people's right to own them (within reason). I'm also not opposed to people riding motorcycles, skydiving, rock climbing, drinking whiskey, or smoking cigarettes, all of which are things that carry a certain level of danger and make one statistically more likely to die sooner. What I'm opposed to is anyone claiming that any of these things make them safer. They don't. Period. The data is there- I'm just pointing out the obvious. Don't shoot the messenger. (Pardon the pun.)
this.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
The question is so self-explanatory it is almost impossible to express. If you like target shooting or hunting, sure, you get a gun (or you really man up and use your bare hands or a bow and arrow). But you clearly have one for self-defense,
You know, guns are the reason that this country exists. Yet, I have to explain why I own one? I own a gun because this is one of the most violent, developed countries on Earth.I would rather meet a potential foe on even terms when it comes to firepower, if neccessary. I'm thinking about buying a handgun to go a long with the short-barrel shotgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It's something you ought to be concerned about, because I also practice martial arts & have for years, and there are plenty of horror stories out there about guys who were just defending themselves & ended up being prosecuted.

A quick google search turns up lots of these kinds of links:

Self Defense Law

I don't always agree with you, but I'd sure hate to see a decent guy in the situation like the one at the link.
More fear-mongering? I'm a little too smart to end up like those guys. I've been fairly proficient at martial arts for over a decade and I haven't gotten myself in any trouble yet. You deal with threats using appropriate force. Most of the time conflict can be easily avoided anyway.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're attempting to compensate for (though I have a guess or two), but I'm sorry to hear about it, whatever it is, and I hope it gets better.
I actually feel sorry for you. There's something odd about your thought process. It's repulsive to me.

Quote:
Human emotion and math aren't things to be believed in or not believed in. They're not Santa Claus, Jesus, or the Tooth Fairy. They're observable realities.
Emotions are always secondary with me. I will say it again, just because people are dumb doesn't mean that I am.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
You know, guns are the reason that this country exists. Yet, I have to explain why I own one? I own a gun because this is one of the most violent, developed countries on Earth.I would rather meet a potential foe on even terms when it comes to firepower, if neccessary. I'm thinking about buying a handgun to go a long with the short-barrel shotgun.

More fear-mongering? I'm a little too smart to end up like those guys. I've been fairly proficient at martial arts for over a decade and I haven't gotten myself in any trouble yet. You deal with threats using appropriate force. Most of the time conflict can be easily avoided anyway.
So, self-defense, not sure why you find the question so offensive. And I agree re: martial arts and common sense, I was just shocked to stumble upon the idea you could be held at fault when you are just defending yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: