Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times

Advertisements

First there is distinct fall off in employment opportunities west of Naperville along I-88, places like Aurora and even Sugar Grove do have some industrial / warehouse type situations and their are a smattering of back office type operations (notable for Farmer's Insurance and MetLife) out that way but even from the most convenient parts of the West Loop this must be a horrendous commute depending on work schedule. I really wonder, in a generic sense, how many of these folks have any idea of the range of relatively good options for casual nightlife in places like the core of Naperville, Elmhurst or Oak Park / Forest Park. Would really save a ton of travel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Keep trying, Chet. Some day you'll get all those dirty hipsters to see the light and move out to the corn fields. It's only a matter of time before you win everyone over to your viewpoint. It's inevitable that we will all eventually see the err of our ways, and there will be no more city-- only glorious suburbia!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM

Default Really showing your lack of knowledge...

How often do you actually leave the cocoon of whatever square mile it is you manage to live /work in?

There are freaking cornfields growing inside the depopulated city limiits meanwhile the core of Naperville has been fully developed since the Civil War -- Google URL Shortener

Elmhurst is 6-7 miles past Oak Park and hasn't seen any kind of agriculture since before WW I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Keep trying, Chet. Some day you'll get all those dirty hipsters to see the light and move out to the corn fields. It's only a matter of time before you win everyone over to your viewpoint. It's inevitable that we will all eventually see the err of our ways, and there will be no more city-- only glorious suburbia!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:54 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
How often do you actually leave the cocoon of whatever square mile it is you manage to live /work in?

There are freaking cornfields growing inside the depopulated city limiits meanwhile the core of Naperville has been fully developed since the Civil War -- Google URL Shortener

Elmhurst is 6-7 miles past Oak Park and hasn't seen any kind of agriculture since before WW I...

Re: Cocoon

The suburbs aren't any different. Things are just more spread out.

And I'm pretty sure ChiNaan was being hyperbolic about the corn.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
Re: Cocoon

The suburbs aren't any different. Things are just more spread out.

And I'm pretty sure ChiNaan was being hyperbolic about the corn.
I was actually being quite literal in that I see a lot of corn fields in the suburbs, precisely because I leave my urban "cocoon" often. I suppose I was being hyperbolic in saying that the specific suburbs Chet thinks we should all move to have corn fields, because I don't really know or care which ones those are.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 12-12-2012 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM

Default You really must learn some geography!

You clearly do not know where anything in the region is located if you consider the places I consitently recommend "outer suburbs".

Why exactly should anyone believe you know where a cornfield is located? You don't know the difference between Westmont and Rosemont...

Quote:
I was actually being quite literal. I see a lot of corn fields in the outer suburbs, precisely because I leave my urban "cocoon" often. I suppose I was being hyperbolic in saying that the specific suburbs Chet thinks we should all move to have corn fields, because I don't really know or care which ones those are.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You clearly do not know where anything in the region is located if you consider the places I consitently recommend "outer suburbs".
Quote:
I suppose I was being hyperbolic in saying that the specific suburbs Chet thinks we should all move to have corn fields, because I don't really know or care which ones those are.
Quote:
I suppose I was being hyperbolic in saying that the specific suburbs Chet thinks we should all move to have corn fields, because I don't really know or care which ones those are.
Quote:
Got it, yet? There's an entire suburbs forum for people who give a rat's ass about the finer distinctions between Park Meadow Brook and Oak River Estates. Consider hanging out there, rather than hijacking our forum. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:56 PM

29 posts, read 54,200 times
My ex gf used to do the same thing. I was living in Bucktown and her commute from my place to work was quicker than her commute from Naperthrill. You might try UIC, Ukranian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown. You can be on 290 and to Lisle fairly quickly while returning back to a neighborhood you might like.

Avoid Lincoln Park and Wrigley as the commute will be 90+ mins. Rent will also be more than your budget and parking costs/lack of availability will not make you happy. UIC is probably the best option if you want to see other Indians. The others I mention are mostly white/hispanic. The more I write the more I think UIC area...South of 290, east of Damen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago