Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Teachers are let loose all the time, i guess your sarcasm is misplaced. As is the rest of your argument. Let me guess, masters degree, loads of debt, can't find a job and thus chock full o' sour grapes...

The second you put "cushy" and " teaching in a public school" in the same sentence you lost any hope of swaying anyone with any experience with CPS.
Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong. I'm actually very responsible with my money and paid for school with cash and have a job.

Teachers are laid off all the time because of budgets, not fired for poor performance. Funny you quoted me saying "teaching in a public school" with cushy, because I was referring to their pensions, not "teaching." Good try though.

Again with the teachers, teachers, teachers. Never mentioning the kids or whats good for them. I think thats the major difference between you and I. I want whats best for the kids, you want whats best for the teachers Union. Which is fine, but just admit it and we can move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Don't have a argument so you had to resort to sarcasm.

Considering I have a masters degree, so would eventually make $87,743 and have summers off, and a cushy pension, and could never get fired, I'd love to!

But that is beside the point, because it's about the kids, right nana? The one thing I haven't heard you mention.
Did you read my post about the conditions! And making $87,743 with a masters is after.... 20 years. You probably would not last that long. The pension fund is running dry, so you might not get any pension at all.

Teachers contribute to the pension fund, btw. Teachers contribute 9 percent of their salary toward retirement. A bill being considered in Springfield (SB512) would increase teacher contributions from 9 percent to 12.75 percent. Teachers do not, however, pay into or receive social security, so the pension is all they get. The average Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund (CTPF) retiree earns $42,000 per year. Of the 87,000 retired teachers in Illinois, almost 1 in 5 (17,269) receive a pension that’s less than $20,000. Remember that people receiving a pension have spent up to 35 years educating students. You are not vested until you teach for 5 years and many people don't last that long.

Of course, I went into teaching because I wanted to teach the kids. I don't think I have to put up with the conditions in the schools that make it impossible to teach. I also don't think you have any clue about how much of their salaries teachers actually donate by buying supplies for the classroom that the administration does not supply (not only in Chicago, btw).

Teachers around the country spend $1.3 billion on supplies for the classroom.
Teachers Spend $1.3 Billion Out of Pocket on Classroom Materials -- THE Journal

Quote:
A full 92 percent of teachers reported spending some amount of their own money on classroom supplies, while a smaller but still significant 85 percent reported spending their own money on instructional materials.
Parents often donate as well, of course.

Note that you don't get *summers off* in reality. Teachers spend a lot of time doing classes to keep their certification during the summer and they also do prep for the following year. Teachers also are NOT finished with work at the end of the school day. It is nice to be able to take the work home, but don't be fooled. You will be doing grading and preps at home and you will be calling parents, etc. since often you cannot get parents on the phone during the day.

Another thing you fail to realize is that you will, in general, not be supported by the administration in terms of discipline depending on the school.

I have a masters in Math, btw. I quit teaching because it does NOT pay as well, but mostly because of the working conditions. I have owned my own business, worked for IBM and worked as a freelance programmer. All were easier and paid as well or better than being a teacher. I loved the kids, but I am not a martyr to them or to their parents.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,085 times
Quote:
Don't have a argument so you had to resort to sarcasm.

Considering I have a masters degree, so would eventually make $87,743 and have summers off, and a cushy pension, and could never get fired, I'd love to!

But that is beside the point, because it's about the kids, right nana? The one thing I haven't heard you mention.
Aren't you looking for a job? Not anymore, I hear CPS is hiring! I'm sure they can get you a gig down in Roseland or something.
A cush gig on the south side is the same as a cush gig anywhere elese.

Just make sure you get the grades up, and it'll be all gravy for you, AND you can claim moral high-ground.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,354,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Aren't you looking for a job? Not anymore, I hear CPS is hiring! I'm sure they can get you a gig down in Roseland or something.
A cush gig on the south side is the same as a cush gig anywhere elese.

Just make sure you get the grades up, and it'll be all gravy for you, AND you can claim moral high-ground.
1. Again, I called their pensions "cushy", not their jobs. ["and a cushy pension"] (My Actual Quote)Don't twist the topics or change the subject because you don't have an intelligent argument. Again, you don't have an argument so you have to resort to sarcasm out of desperation.

2. My topic was not about how easy or hard their jobs are. It was about what is best for the kids and how the CTU fights changes that are best for the kids.

3. What I do isn't relevant to the issue. Me teaching or not teaching at CPS doesn't change any of the facts.

Last edited by jman07; 12-12-2012 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
1. Again, I called their pensions "cushy", not their jobs. ["and a cushy pension"] (My Actual Quote)Don't twist the topics or change the subject because you don't have an intelligent argument. Again, you don't have an argument so you have to resort to sarcasm out of desperation.
I'm calling out your obvious attempts to chastise the teachers working in a crappy school district dealing with problem kids.

Quote:
2. My topic was not about how easy or hard their jobs are. It was about what is best for the kids and how the CTU fights changes that are best for the kids.
CTU isn't the only piece of the puzzle.

Quote:
3. What I do isn't relevant to the issue. Me teaching or not teaching at CPS doesn't change any of the facts.
You don't do much, other than look for a job.
As far as relevance to the facts, I was wondering what you mentioning you had a masters to do with anything. Given this is a thread about teaching, I assumed you were stating your qualifications to be an educator, and seeing as how you're currently unemployed....

Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:

How is the pension *cushy?* My dh worked for IBM for 30 years and his pension is *cushy,* but if he was still working, it would be much less so. Cushy pensions don't exist much now even in companies like IBM though.

How is working for 35 years and then getting $42,000 a year *cushy?*

Once again, teachers contribute 9% of their salary to their pension fund. There is a bill in the state senate to increase that to 12.75%. Teachers do NOT get social security, so the pension is their only source of retirement funding. (My dh and I get social security in addition to his pension from IBM). The average Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund (CTPF) retiree earns $42,000 per year. Of the 87,000 retired teachers in Illinois, almost 1 in 5 (17,269) receive a pension that’s less than $20,000. Remember that people receiving a pension have spent up to 35 years educating students and are reliant on the pension promised to them many years ago by the state.

Your teaching at CPS *might* give you a perspective on why the teachers need their pensions and other benefits. Besides *it's for the kids,* right?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How is the pension *cushy?* My dh worked for IBM for 30 years and his pension is *cushy,* but if he was still working, it would be much less so. Cushy pensions don't exist much now even in companies like IBM though.

How is working for 35 years and then getting $42,000 a year *cushy?*

Once again, teachers contribute 9% of their salary to their pension fund. There is a bill in the state senate to increase that to 12.75%. Teachers do NOT get social security, so the pension is their only source of retirement funding. (My dh and I get social security in addition to his pension from IBM). The average Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund (CTPF) retiree earns $42,000 per year. Of the 87,000 retired teachers in Illinois, almost 1 in 5 (17,269) receive a pension that’s less than $20,000. Remember that people receiving a pension have spent up to 35 years educating students and are reliant on the pension promised to them many years ago by the state.

Your teaching at CPS *might* give you a perspective on why the teachers need their pensions and other benefits. Besides *it's for the kids,* right?
Wait a minute, I may not have gone to college, but it sounds sounds to me that if you had some decent brain capacity and are motivated by money, it's make sense to give up the teaching gig to work in the private sector to make some real money.

Wait, who does that leave to teach the kids? Sounds like they could use some talented individuals with master's degrees to really 'turn things around.'

Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Wait a minute, I may not have gone to college, but it sounds sounds to me that if you had some decent brain capacity and are motivated by money, it's make sense to give up the teaching gig to work in the private sector to make some real money.

Wait, who does that leave to teach the kids? Sounds like they could use some talented individuals with master's degrees to really 'turn things around.'
I left teaching after my principal decided we would only teach geometry without proofs and he trashed the books that our department had worked hard to get grants for. If I am to teach mathematics, I want to teach real mathematics, not geometry for stones (as my dd called geometry without proofs).

I am actually NOT motivated by money. I loved teaching, but I could not take the conditions in the Chicago public schools.

Note that there are plenty of us out there who would gladly teach for less money (and even left private sector careers to do so), but when you add up the working conditions and the craziness of the evaluation procedure, it is mostly not worth it. I think we will see lots of teachers leaving and lots of shortages in the field unless we begin to address the real issues for both students and teachers.

Students need to be held accountable for their own learning. It is often not the teacher's fault that the student is not learning. Do you have any idea how many kids cut class (with very little consequence)? Or how many don't do the homework (also with little consequence)? The Chicago public schools did not allow a grade of FA, failure due to absence. We had kids who were absent for over 20% of the class time - that's one or more days per week. Explain to me how these kids could possibly pass? These students could not be dropped from school either even after they were 18 unless they wanted to drop and many of them stayed for the *socialization with friends* and the free meals. While there are a few kids who could probably pass the tests without coming to class, they are very few and far between especially in math.

Why Do Teachers Quit? - Teachingcom

Quote:
They citied low salary, feeling overloaded, fear, and lack of training to name a few.
I would suggest that feeling overloaded is probably well before salary as a reason. Teachers are stressed and overloaded everywhere today.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:14 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,938 times
Quote:
Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong. I'm actually very responsible with my money and paid for school with cash and have a job.

Teachers are laid off all the time because of budgets, not fired for poor performance. Funny you quoted me saying "teaching in a public school" with cushy, because I was referring to their pensions, not "teaching." Good try though.

Again with the teachers, teachers, teachers. Never mentioning the kids or whats good for them. I think thats the major difference between you and I. I want whats best for the kids, you want whats best for the teachers Union. Which is fine, but just admit it and we can move on.
I actually have a kid in CPS, and like other homo sapiens with a functioning cerebral cortex I understand the basic concept of cause and effect. Teachers satisfied in their jobs equate to kids getting a better education.

You can't divorce "the kids" from "the teachers," that is what's wrong with your position.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think we will see lots of teachers leaving and lots of shortages in the field unless we begin to address the real issues for both students and teachers.
Oh, that'd make a great press conference of old Uncle Rahm. After he strong arms his school reforms through he'll later be pleading with the public through the media to help hire new teachers as there is a shortage of qualified teachers and applicants.

Then, what are the standards they're going to use when hiring -- when they're desperate to have warm bodies in front of a room.

Way to think this through, guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago