Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
You may want to revisit that argument, chief.

China school knife attack leaves 23 injured - CBS News
I did. All you had to do is read the post above yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
More people die abusing legal drugs than from gun homicides in this country.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I did. All you had to do is read the post above yours.
You didn't, actually. You said a knife-wielding man killed 20 kids in China. Someone corrected you by stating they were wounded, not killed. Then you replied by modifying the number and ignoring the fact you were wrong, after making some additional pathetic tough-guy internet talk.

The point, however, is that the person in China, despite his best intentions, could only wound with a knife. If he were in the US, with his easily acquired legal handgun, he would have killed many of those children, if not more.

And to rparz, cars are dangerous. However, their main purpose is not to kill, but the quite legitimate function of transporting people and goods from one place to another. Due to the danger, we heavily regulate the use of automobiles with licenses, speed limits, traffic lights, stop signs, school zones, mandatory vehicle safety requirements, etc, and constantly revisit these regulations.

With guns, despite the sole purpose being to injure or kill, the NRA has managed to convince the US that we cannot revisit any regulation on guns, ever. Because our founding fathers, with their musket-wielding well-regulated militias, clearly must have envisioned enshrining concealed handguns and automatic weapons to any able bodied citizen.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 AM

190 posts, read 315,224 times
Quote:
As another poser pointed out, other cities that allow conceal and carry have lower crimes rates than Chicago. The politicians have the same licenses to carry that they want to deny us. You don't see the hypocrisy there? Sometimes I swear that these folks have the ability to control peoples minds. It defies logic.
yeah, like new orleans...

Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,205,178 times
Quote:
Some guy in China killed 20 kids the other day with a knife. Let's ban knives.
No, some guy in China killed ZERO kids the other day with a knife. ZERO.

Let's recap:

Crazy guy + knife = 0 dead
Crazy guy + assault rifle = 28 dead

I realize from our past interactions that data and basic math aren't your strong suits, but surely you can understand the above.

What was your argument exactly, again?

Stop regurgitating what you're told by Fox "News" and use your brain. Or, if you insist on doing otherwise, please don't subject the rest of us to it.

Last edited by ChiNaan; 12-15-2012 at 01:34 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,535 times
Quote:
You ran away from our previous debate about drugs when I hit you over the head with facts. I proved that presciption drugs cause more deaths than illegal ones. You ran away with your tail between your legs. It won't be any different here.
I already addressed that. Maybe you should go back and re-read my post in response to the higher numbers of deaths, it's really quite clear. I state it AGAIN since you're finding it a bit difficult; if hard drugs were legalized, there would be an astronomically higher number of addicts and deaths, including the suffering of family members and victims of crimes to follow. All your facts prove is that legal drugs are more accessible across the board, hence more people die from them. Gee that's news? So basically you're proving my point, that the more access people have to deadly drugs, the more people will die. Please try to understand posts before replying to them, it will save everyone time.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:23 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,535 times
For the people who like facts...

Last year, handguns killed

48 people in Japan

8 in Great Britain

38 in Switzerland

52 in Canada

58 in Israel

21 in Sweden

42 in West Germany

10,728 in the United States

Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
For the people who like facts...

Last year, handguns killed

48 people in Japan

8 in Great Britain

38 in Switzerland

52 in Canada

58 in Israel

21 in Sweden

42 in West Germany

10,728 in the United States
I'm going to guess with west Germany on the list, those stats aren't from last year. But the general point stands.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 AM

359 posts, read 548,973 times
I stand by my statement that I have a RIGHT to carry a gun. I have a right to protect myself, regardless of the occasional nutcase out there, who will get guns whether we have a ban in place or not. I would rather be able to carry to give myself some sort of fighting chance against someone, than no chance at all.

Besides, we dont have a gun problem in this country, we have a CULTURE PROBLEM. And, a PUBLIC HEALTH problem. And, a DRUG PROBLEM.

See, its the illegal drug trade (mostly marijuana) that fuels the gang war type shootings that we see in the South and West sides of Chicago. Legalize marijuana, and that problem will mostly go away. Sure, the gangs will still deal in coke etc, but that leads to the bigger issue...we have a mental health problem in this country that leads people to try hard drugs like coke and meth. We need to figure out a way to address that issue, not try a prohibition on guns, which will likely lead to a vicious illegal gun trade and will make killings go up.

The health issue also leads to the psychotropic drug issue...people take these Big Pharma drugs and it messes with their head.

We also have a culture problem...we have a culture of death and violence promoted in the country by the (liberal run) media and that HAS TO STOP.

But banning guns is NOT going to address the problems outlined above. The people listed above will still get guns and will still go nuts. Look at Toronto - hand guns are illegal there, and the gangs in Toronto still get them and use them all the time.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:05 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
I stand by my statement that I have a RIGHT to carry a gun.
Well, legally you are wrong.
Quote:
I have a right to protect myself, regardless of the occasional nutcase out there, who will get guns whether we have a ban in place or not.
Carrying a gun is not crucial to you protecting yourself nor is it necessarily sufficient protection.

Quote:
We also have a culture problem...we have a culture of death and violence promoted in the country by the (liberal run) media and that HAS TO STOP.
The rate of violent assaults (including gun violence) is much higher in the more conservative areas of our nation. Don't blame the media.

Quote:
The South is the most violent region in the United States. ... States with stricter gun control laws have fewer deaths from gun-related violence.
Twelve facts about guns and mass shootings in the United States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago