Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

if the OP is relocating I darned well hope the job is going to be paying something worth moving for -- unless there is so massive a shortage of clerical and janitorial stuff in the region one would think they could certainly afford something much more than $600.

Last edited by chet everett; 12-14-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Call me whacky
We do. Regularly. It doesn't appear to be helping.

Entry-level teaching, research, and student affairs admin positions at universities often don't pay much more than clerical or janitorial positions. That's not to mention adjunct faculty or grad assistant positions, which actually pay less. Many people move to university areas on that type of a budget early in their careers. For that matter, there are early-career people in non-profits and even the business world who take positions with that type of budget to get their foot in the door. Many of them live in the neighborhoods we're all recommending here. This is nothing new or unusual.

More than anything, though, this is you continuing to answer questions that the OP didn't ask. You do this repeatedly. The OP didn't ask where she could live for "a little bit more" or double her budget. She asked what she could get for $600-700. If you're not going to at least attempt to answer the question being asked, why bother responding?

Last edited by ChiNaan; 12-14-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Perhaps there are accomodations that the Univesrity can offer to those in such situations IIT Residence and Greek Life | Housing Choices | Apartments

Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,281,567 times
Bridgeport east of Halsted is no more dangerous than a suburb. I haven't bothered to look up crime stats for Armour Square or Chinatown but I would guess they are not far behind.

I agree the OP should look around and that if she's creative she might be able to find a studio in Lakeview for $700, but she didn't mention anything about wanting to be in a "cool" neighborhood etc. She gave us a price and a location. I guess if she wants to get more specific she will.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
I bet you will meet one of my good friends who works there. She works in the alumni relations department. Best of luck. I suggest you eventually try and find roommates who are cool. Its a great way to meet people and explore the city.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
I would caution that all the advice here is based on trying to find a "bargain priced" place .
She gave us a specific price range. We're trying to work with it.

Quote:
I would advise against anyone unfamilar withe area around IIT going on a bargain hunt.
This is why we're recommending specific areas to look in rather than just saying "look around the campus." But this does raise an issue the OP needs to be aware of, and that is the quality of the neighborhood falls off very rapidly just a few blocks south of the campus.

Quote:
Spend a little bit more money and try to find a MUCH more pleasant place in the South Loop. Unfortunately many of the places in the South Loop are newer places suited to families so w/o a roommate they may be way out of your price range...
Which is why nobody has recommended the South Loop.

Quote:
The greatest number of available studios is almost certainly Lakeview, which would excellent for social stuff by a little longer commute.
No, a LOT longer commute. A suicide-inducing commute.

Quote:
Doubt you'd have any luck in Hyde Park or Kenwood and frankly I would NOT want to rely on buses to get to work at IIT and CTA trains do not really like any safe part of Hyde Park to the IIT stop...
What's wrong with the Cottage Grove bus? It would take her from Hyde Park and drop her off right on campus.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefolay View Post
So I recently accepted a job at IIT (35th and state) and basically should have moved yesterday, and really need to find a place asap. I'm looking for a loft, in the range of 600-700. I'm fine with a very small place bc this is an entry level position and I'm moving from Philly with very little. I do have to have a car, so I'm debating if living north of the loop would be cost effective or should I live closer to IIT. With that being said, I'm wondering what the best neighborhoods are around IIT? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Living on your own in a nice neighborhood for that price is going to be a challenge. If you can find a roommate or sublease for cheap go for it. You can find a $600-700/month place in Chicago but it most likely will be in a less desirable neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM

367 posts, read 1,206,036 times
I second Bridgeport (east of Halsted is worth the higher rents for several reasons...). Pluses are reasonable parking, minuses are safety is good generally, but quiet and deserted afterhours, could be a negative depending on your lifestyle. Very urban, a certain amount of grit, you may or may not like it.

I second Lakeview, if possible. Could be tough to snare a place, but turnover is high and there are a lot of units, so that helps. I think the commute time and hassle level on the train is OK. Quality of life and commercial options are high in Lakeview. But parking is very difficult.

I second looking at Hyde Park, depending on your lifestyle. There are lots of apartments, some of them pretty cheap, maybe even $600-700. Drover is right it's not too hard to get to work from there, even though the neighborhood is a little isolated. Parking is difficult in some parts of the area. It takes some homework to choose a good apartment in Hyde Park because there are some unsafe areas nearby.

You could also try Bronzeville itself, at Prairie Shores or Lake Meadows. These are both decent high-rise apartment complexes right on the lake, which are surprisingly affordable, although maybe just above your stated price range. Bronzeville is kind of rough, but these high rises are kind of isolated from the rest of the neighborhood. Safety is fine in the immediate area, although most would prefer to drive late at night to taking the bus.

Depending again on your lifestyle preferences, the adjacent west suburb of Oak Park may appeal to you. There are many apartments along Lake Street, from which there is virtually door-to-door train service to 35th and State, which takes about 35 minutes. Oak Park has difficult (pricey) street parking, but some units include a parking spot. Safety is good, and quality of life and commercial options are good.

Finally, there is commuter rail access at that location as well. You posted in the Chicago forum, but there are many Chicago south suburbs along that rail line as well that could be an option. There are morning express trains that can take you to the Bronzeville station in under 40 minutes from as far away as Tinley Park. Some closer towns that are safe and also/more affordable are Midlothian and Oak Forest.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM

29 posts, read 54,214 times
Bridgeport is your best bet. Anything on the north side will be out of your price range or a vintage studio/1 bed. The more roommates the better. Bronzeville is on of the few neighborhoods I am scared to walk through. Wait until concealed carry is legal before you move there. You might be able to find something in Chinatown or UIC area.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,209,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makinthemagic View Post
Bronzeville is on of the few neighborhoods I am scared to walk through.
Even the north part of Bronzeville, around IIT, between 26th and 35th? There are far, far more dangerous/"scary" areas to walk through in Chicago. It's practically an extension of the South Loop these days. It does get worse down in the southern half of the neighborhood (The Grand Boulevard part), though.

I agree with others that east Bridgeport would be good. It has been getting some spillover of the young/educated/artsy type of crowd from east Pilsen, and along with that some decent restaurants (even a sushi place now), bars, even a few galleries, etc., while still having affordable rent and an overall working class kind of feel. I know a few early career 20-something professional types like the OP in that area. There are also IIT students who live there, since it's an easy walk over the Dan Ryan to campus, which may or may not be a good thing for the OP, depending on her role at the university and how much she wants to run in to students when she's not at work. Personally, I would choose east Pilsen over east Bridgeport (and I did, and do, for myself, so I acknowledge a bias), though it would be a tad further from IIT. One thing the OP hasn't mentioned (unless I missed it) is if she'll have a car or wants to walk or take public transportation to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago