U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:05 AM

7 posts, read 9,589 times

Advertisements

I lived in south shore for ten years and always been the only white guy. This year more white people are here. It started as only seeing one. But now multiple. I seen 6 all at once walking on 71st n Jeffrey earlier tonight. #Jeffreyjump
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 AM

6,052 posts, read 6,877,052 times
IMO, the south side areas of southshore , Hyde Park, N. Kenwood and Bronzville has the potential to integrate at a level that Chicago isn't use to seeing. Imagine if 40% of Chicago was like Hyde Park.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 AM

28,461 posts, read 76,220,082 times
There are numerous "real estate mogul" operations buying up buildings on the cheap, doing a quick & dirty refresh with new paint and low end SS appliances, listing the places in the sorts of online sites frequentled by clueless out of towners and then laughing all the way to the bank...

Once upon a time South Shore was a great spot. Though the relative level of violence the neighborhood saw was never like the riots on the west side, there were some incidents / subsequent flight and the criminal element was especially strong as the south side gangs built a power base from the late 60's until recent shifts have spread out the density...

The transit issues and school are significantly more challenging than anything in Hyde Park but for out-of-towners who might not mind driving it is almost twice as fast as trying to get to the Loop from spots equally far north so I can almost understand the appeal. Couple that with sky high prices inside Hyde Park / Kenwood and the migration is not hard to figure out.

Given the challenges of even finding any kind of retail business in the area it would not be on any list of recommended neighborhoods I'd come up with but surely the real estate dreamers that can sell Pilsen or Humbolt Park as "on the verge" have no qualms about stretching the limits of credulity when it comes to gullible new residents...

The reasons Hyde Park / Kenwood are integrated have a lot to do with the FACT that there was never any mass exodus -- well to do employees of the university / hospital / associated research organizations have ALWAYS preferred living close town work and the ability raise a family inside the golden glow of Lab Schools and superlative security of the broader campus have been a factor. It remains to be seen if areas without good schools and with iffy security will be able to reverse decades of exodus. I certainly hope that can happen and the odds of such a reversal give the politics of Hyde Park are probably higher than any other spot on the south or west sides...

Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,074,502 times
I mentioned this before but my aunt's high-rise building at 69th & Oglesby which was all black suddenly has a ton of UofC students but they seem to be mostly Asian. We always joked and said UofC must have lied to them and told them it was part of Hyde Park to trick them into going there. But then, the brand new animal hospital on 68th & Stoney that just opened is named "Hyde Park" Animal Hospital. So who knows what's really going on here.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:34 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,692,582 times
At least they didn't call it the South Bucktown Hospital.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 PM

644 posts, read 1,056,107 times
The university really hasn't been pushing South Shore at all, so I'm guessing that students are just attracted there by the cheap rents. I've seen a few ads popping up on bulletin boards on campus for apartments in South Shore, so I'm guessing there are at least a few pioneering students down there. It's certainly much more attractive than the parts of Woodlawn that are closer to campus.

The name "Hyde Park" is definitely used outside its boundaries. There's a liquor store with Hyde Park in its name located somewhere on 51st around Michigan. I guess they're not terribly far off, but it's almost kind of comical to see it amid very non-Hyde Park surroundings.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM

4,568 posts, read 7,113,087 times
South Shore is one of those places that would benefit the most if Mike Payne's push for the CTA taking over the scheduling of Metra Electric and running it as the "Gray Line" were ever successful.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM

28,461 posts, read 76,220,082 times
Default And on that cheery note...

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
South Shore is one of those places that would benefit the most if Mike Payne's push for the CTA taking over the scheduling of Metra Electric and running it as the "Gray Line" were ever successful.
Anyone acquainted with the political reality of how the RTA board is structured knows that despite the enthusiasm of rail fans like Mr. Payne there is more chance of the Olympic Committe reversing its decision to have Brazil host the games than there is for the CTA getting any slice of the Metra Electric...

Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM

644 posts, read 1,056,107 times
Speaking of the Jeffrey Jump, has anyone on here ridden it yet? I'm contemplating heading down there on the #14 just to see how it works. I'm optimistic about this solution to make up for the severe lack of political will to fund rail transit. Every time I ride a local bus, I almost go postal over the fact that the bus stops every single block, and then everyone gets on and individually rummages around for their transit cards while holding up the bus. The half-mile spacing of stops and dedicated lanes are welcome features in my book

Old 12-16-2012, 05:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,735,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
IMO, the south side areas of southshore , Hyde Park, N. Kenwood and Bronzville has the potential to integrate at a level that Chicago isn't use to seeing. Imagine if 40% of Chicago was like Hyde Park.
It would be about 50 years late, but better than never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago