Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you leave the Chicago area when you retire?
Most definately 23 34.85%
Not sure yet 25 37.88%
Nope, here till I die 18 27.27%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times

Advertisements

The biggest factor is health. I suspect that we're going to have more and more people retiring close to the age of 70, and any movement in any direction will probably be based upon the retiree's health. If someone is 70, and has some health problems that might require family members to be nearby, then he/she will likely stay put. The raises the possibility of moving to the place where one wants to retire to YEARS BEFORE retirement actually happens, if it's at all possible. The timing could be tricky...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The sooner the better.
Shouldn't say stuff like that old man, could bring you some swift Karma. After all, your generation is starting to check out...

Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Is it a misuse? The implication is that the result (failing economy) is different than the sequence of events one would expect it to lead to (that these are some of the most desirable and coveted places to live on earth).

Anyway, I find pedantry boring.
Is it ironic to incorrectly be called out for using the word irony wrong?

Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The biggest factor is health.....
Indeed and Chicago has some excellent hospitals and doctors. And as I mentioned earlier if one has the support of kinsmen here it's a good reason to stay, they may come in handy when you get sick or decrepit

Old 12-19-2012, 12:07 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
There are so many different factors in that decision, I'll have to wait and see, life will be much different then.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Sometimes the "living-for-retirement" approach can backfire on you. You can say to yourself--"I'll put up with all this nonsense, etc for now, but when I retire ( at age 70?), I'll have a blast, and make up for lost time"....but what if your health takes a turn for the worse at age 70, or before? Living each day to the best of your ability isn't a bad idea at all..

You don't have to convince me of the value of retirement planning, but I'm not going to delay everything until I say "Sayonara" to the salt mines..

Old 12-19-2012, 12:26 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Us transplant who don't have family connections in the area have no reason to retire in Chicago. It has nothing to do with not liking its about what's conducive to ones situation.

I think Chicago as a city is one of the best. I think its cool that I've had the opportunity to live here. When its time to go it time to go.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Us transplant who don't have family connections in the area have no reason to retire in Chicago.
I'm curious, then, what makes you live in Chicago now? Specific employment that isn't available near your family connections? It's difficult for me to imagine being any more likely to want to live near family when retired than when working, unless I need them to provide care for me or put me in a home!

Not judging, just curious how this thought process works for others.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:46 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I'm curious, then, what makes you live in Chicago now? Specific employment that isn't available near your family connections? It's difficult for me to imagine being any more likely to want to live near family when retired than when working, unless I need them to provide care for me or put me in a home!

Not judging, just curious how this thought process works for others.
I don't think people realize how strong and the diversity of companies here in Chicago. If someone has family that all lives in Green Bay, Wisconsin and La Crosse Wisconsin, but they work in Advertising and desire to work for major brands, well Green Bay and La Crosse just don't offer those opportunties.

Where I work, a huge marketing agency, most of the people here come from small midwest cities and towns. Their careers cannot flourish in those small cities and towns like they can here. Chicago is an amazing place to start a career and maintain one, which is why so many Big Ten Alumni move here immediately after graduating.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:54 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Sometimes the "living-for-retirement" approach can backfire on you. You can say to yourself--"I'll put up with all this nonsense, etc for now, but when I retire ( at age 70?), I'll have a blast, and make up for lost time"....but what if your health takes a turn for the worse at age 70, or before? Living each day to the best of your ability isn't a bad idea at all..

You don't have to convince me of the value of retirement planning, but I'm not going to delay everything until I say "Sayonara" to the salt mines..
Completely. I read an article lately where it had like the top 5 regrets of the dying via nurses and hospice care workers. One of them had to do with a lot of people wishing they traveled more earlier because you don't realize how much your health can actually impact being able to do that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago