Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

Nothing like a knee-jerk reaction and blaming an organization instead the person responsible. The NRA is group that promotes and advocates for the right of people to own guns legally via the 2nd. The NRA doesn't win when a psycho jag shoots up a bunch of kids and the supporters of the NRA are not to blame, the person is. I am sick of people using the brain power that god gave a goose to argue gun rights and the responsibility of the NRA, I got news for you, the NRA doesn't pass laws or ordinances bu only advocates them. The people who elect politicians pass laws, regs and ordinances on gun laws, and usually are re-elected despite how they vote. Don't worry though liberals care so much about gun control and not a damn thing about abortion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,785,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Nothing like a knee-jerk reaction and blaming an organization instead the person responsible. The NRA is group that promotes and advocates for the right of people to own guns legally via the 2nd. The NRA doesn't win when a psycho jag shoots up a bunch of kids and the supporters of the NRA are not to blame, the person is. I am sick of people using the brain power that god gave a goose to argue gun rights and the responsibility of the NRA, I got news for you, the NRA doesn't pass laws or ordinances bu only advocates them. The people who elect politicians pass laws, regs and ordinances on gun laws, and usually are re-elected despite how they vote. Don't worry though liberals care so much about gun control and not a damn thing about abortion!
The NRA DOES win when some "psycho jag shoots up a bunch of kids" because a large portion of people immediately run out and buy lots of guns either in the delusional belief that its going to make society safer, or from the fear that the government is going to take away their assault riffles. Note the number of assault riffles of the exact same model as the "psycho jag" used, shortly after the massacre. So in the end, the NRA wins by gaining power.

The NRA has a tremendous amount of lobbying power, so they are actually in a very powerful position to affect gun laws. Nice try though. Not only is the NRA a big part of the problem, but their proposition to have guns in every school only makes the problem worse.

When more guns are in America, more people get killed. When more guns are in America, the NRA make money and gain political leverage.

Last edited by chitownperson; 01-02-2013 at 06:21 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
When more guns are in America, the NRA make money and gain political leverage.
There are more gun sales and people joining the NRA because the responsible citizens in the US do not want to give up their rights. The more you talk about severely restricting or banning guns, the more guns YOU are responsible for being sold.

It's similar to gas rationing... honest people are just topping off their tank.

Curious why Chicago has such a high murder rate. Many major cities have the demographics and problems. That's where you should look for a problem, not in an organization who works to protect our rights.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:29 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
You people crack me up.....Chicago is the murder capitol of the USA....with the toughest gunlaws on the planet.Du-h-h-h-h......What does that tell you?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are more gun sales and people joining the NRA because the responsible citizens in the US do not want to give up their rights. The more you talk about severely restricting or banning guns, the more guns YOU are responsible for being sold.

It's similar to gas rationing... honest people are just topping off their tank.

Curious why Chicago has such a high murder rate. Many major cities have the demographics and problems. That's where you should look for a problem, not in an organization who works to protect our rights.
Well, your definition of "responsible citizen" differs greatly from mine, because I don't believe a person who runs out to buy a Bushmaster .223 especially after a bunch of kids were butchered by some nut case with a Bushmaster .223 is a "responsible citizen". I will continue to talk about bans and such, but I am not responsible for a bunch of people who feel the need to pour more guns into society, that's on their and YOUR heads, and all the people who support the notion that more guns equal more safety and freedom.

The NRA has helped to twist and manipulate the definition of the 2nd to fit their ideological agenda, and for that matter, the "rights" you talk about are in dire need of re-evaluation. You think the NRA are spewing their rhetoric for the good of the country and individuals? Think again. All they care about it lining their own pockets and building more power... it's amazing that there are so many people in the US that can't see this.

These pathetic attempts to use Chicago as the poster boy for why we should have more guns in society are weak and getting old. It does not take a rocket scientist to understand that you will have a lot of gun violence if you have problems in society and lots of guns. There are also many more cities in the US that have much higher levels of gun violence. Something that also goes unmentioned buy gun nuts is that despite Chicago's recent murder rate, which fluctuates and has great room for improvement, it is currently half of what it was in the 90s.

I've said this time and time again, that we need to address societal problems... and one of societies problems is guns, along with poverty, education etc... addressing only a portion will not work. You can keep trying to paint the NRA as activists for ours "rights", but at the end of the day, there is no denying that they have some of the most powerful, if not the most powerful, lobbyists in the country, and that their number 1 agenda is to pump more guns into society and make more money.

Last edited by chitownperson; 01-02-2013 at 11:12 AM..

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
You people crack me up.....Chicago is the murder capitol of the USA....with the toughest gunlaws on the planet.Du-h-h-h-h......What does that tell you?
It tells me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiamnh View Post
There are many other cities that have held the title of "murder Capitol" where the gun laws are relaxed, so your comment points to nothing other than a big city with lots of guns and social problems will have gun crime. "Du-h-h-h-h".

Actually, comparing the 100 cities with the highest rates of violent crime per 1000 residents in the US, Chicago ranks 79th.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Quote:
Well, your definition of "responsible citizen" differs greatly from mine, because I don't believe a person who runs out to buy a Bushmaster .223 especially after a bunch of kids were butchered by some nut case with a Bushmaster .223 is a "responsible citizen".
Some of those purchasers look on this as an investment. The price of those guns keeps rising. What could be outlawed is manufacture or new sales -- this is fertile ground for people to buy an item which may become scarce in the future. The government will not come to confiscate them -- those who hold them will have an increasingly valuable (and increasingly rare) item.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Some of those purchasers look on this as an investment. The price of those guns keeps rising. What could be outlawed is manufacture or new sales -- this is fertile ground for people to buy an item which may become scarce in the future. The government will not come to confiscate them -- those who hold them will have an increasingly valuable (and increasingly rare) item.
Right, and I wouldn't consider those people responsible, because they care more about money at the expense of society (every purchase they make funds gun makers, dealers and the NRA). And it they sell it on at a large profit in the future to some criminal, then we have one more criminal on the street with an assault riffle.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:15 PM

527 posts, read 600,388 times
Quote:
The NRA DOES win when some "psycho jag shoots up a bunch of kids" because a large portion of people immediately run out and buy lots of guns either in the delusional belief that its going to make society safer, or from the fear that the government is going to take away their assault riffles.
This X100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago