Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:35 AM
 
1,002 posts, read 1,776,954 times
Reputation: 498

Advertisements

Well, I'd agree that it's the safest school right now, not specifically for the fact that they have armed guards, but because they are on high alert. Columbine had an armed guard, and he even used his gun, to little affect. Having armed guards, or more people with guns, is not the magic pill... There is a gun problem in this country, and that is one of the biggest problems that needs to be addressed.

I don't really care about liberal vs conservative politics, I care more about what works... And right now, and for a long time, guns being legal in America doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 AM
 
165 posts, read 431,656 times
Reputation: 152
Without the 2nd Amendment, the Anti-Federalists never would have ratified the U.S. Constitution. It wasn't put in there by the Founders so Americans could defend themselves or hunt--nor was it even put in to protect the American People from an invasion from a foreign power. It was inserted into the Bill of Rights so that the American People would have a last line of defense in case our own government ever became tyrannical so We the People could overthrow the federal government.

While many of the checks and balances the Founders put into the Constitution have been eroded by Progressives, the ultimate check and balance remains the 2nd Amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 AM
 
165 posts, read 431,656 times
Reputation: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
Well, I'd agree that it's the safest school right now, not specifically for the fact that they have armed guards, but because they are on high alert. Columbine had an armed guard, and he even used his gun, to little affect. Having armed guards, or more people with guns, is not the magic pill... There is a gun problem in this country, and that is one of the biggest problems that needs to be addressed.

I don't really care about liberal vs conservative politics, I care more about what works... And right now, and for a long time, guns being legal in America doesn't work.
What works is more Americans legally armed. Read economist John Lott's book "More Guns Less Crime." Or don't and continue with your misperceptions and myths. Guns and the 2nd Amendment aren't going away. The former might, but only if a tyrannical dictator is running this nation. The latter never will.

Heck, Holder and Obama supplied Mexican drug cartels assault weapons just so that the body count of Brown People would rack up so they could use that as a pretense to take away legal guns from law abiding citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 AM
 
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
10,261 posts, read 21,672,531 times
Reputation: 10454
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State Citizen View Post

Heck, Holder and Obama supplied Mexican drug cartels assault weapons just so that the body count of Brown People would rack up so they could use that as a pretense to take away legal guns from law abiding citizens.
Any sensible points people like you make are ruined when you make screwball assertions like this. Anyone with any sense is just gonna write you off as a fanatic and any valid points you might make are dismissed along with your lunatic raving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 AM
 
1,002 posts, read 1,776,954 times
Reputation: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State Citizen View Post
What works is more Americans legally armed. Read economist John Lott's book "More Guns Less Crime." Or don't and continue with your misperceptions and myths. Guns and the 2nd Amendment aren't going away. The former might, but only if a tyrannical dictator is running this nation. The latter never will.

Heck, Holder and Obama supplied Mexican drug cartels assault weapons just so that the body count of Brown People would rack up so they could use that as a pretense to take away legal guns from law abiding citizens.
Well, it obviously hasn't worked, because there are thousands of Americans dying at gun point every year. If you truly believe this is "working", YOU are either the one with "misperceptions and myths", or you're just plain deluded. So if someone doesn't buy into Lotts research, which was funded by the NRA (surprise, surprise), they have "misperceptions and myths"? LOL. Th NRA, Lott, you and the likes can spin whatever you want, but the fact is, guns are legal in the US, you have concealed and carry almostw everywhere, and you still have thousands of gun deaths every year. The original meaning of the 2nd is so different from what it is today, again with the hand of the NRA, that its not really the 2nd... But it does help gun makers and dealers sell more guns. Tell the public they are safer with guns and assult weapons, and tell them they are being patriotic and expressing there freedom if they buy guns... What better sales tactics for gun makers? You say the 2nd will never go way? It already has if you take into context what it was actually meant for.

It's beyond ludacris that you are suggesting the unsuccessful attempt to use guns to draw out cartel members was an deliberate attempt to give them guns and "kill brown people"... And that there just illustrates level of ideological spin you bring to your statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 AM
 
2,918 posts, read 4,185,182 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State Citizen View Post
What works is more Americans legally armed.
A large portion of the people in our country are legally armed. The CT school shooter was one of them. How many more do you think it would take to magically cause the tables to turn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
 
7,072 posts, read 9,557,448 times
Reputation: 4531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
A large portion of the people in our country are legally armed. The CT school shooter was one of them. How many more do you think it would take to magically cause the tables to turn?

No, the CT shooter not legally armed. Where did he legally purchase his guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:25 AM
 
2,918 posts, read 4,185,182 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
No, the CT shooter not legally armed.
Is it illegal for an adult to let their adult child use their legally-purchased firearms?

Okay, then his mother was legally armed and failed to stop him or defend herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
 
17,183 posts, read 22,792,872 times
Reputation: 17472
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31st State Citizen View Post
Without the 2nd Amendment, the Anti-Federalists never would have ratified the U.S. Constitution. It wasn't put in there by the Founders so Americans could defend themselves or hunt--nor was it even put in to protect the American People from an invasion from a foreign power. It was inserted into the Bill of Rights so that the American People would have a last line of defense in case our own government ever became tyrannical so We the People could overthrow the federal government.

While many of the checks and balances the Founders put into the Constitution have been eroded by Progressives, the ultimate check and balance remains the 2nd Amendment.
Yeah, right, because armed citizens are going to rebel and defeat the government... like in Star Wars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Chicago
4,745 posts, read 5,539,004 times
Reputation: 6007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Any sensible points people like you make are ruined when you make screwball assertions like this. Anyone with any sense is just gonna write you off as a fanatic and any valid points you might make are dismissed along with your lunatic raving.

He actually has a point. The CIA has been doing stuff like that for a long time. You didn't know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top