Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post

If youre gonna make some bold statements, you better back them up with facts.
You already know the facts. You know the much, much longer list of cities that you left out of your chart, that are warmer than Chicago. You know that more people live in those cities than the ones you cherry-picked, and therefore, to most of the U.S., Chicago is cold.

You're right, it's not brain surgery. So, again, which is it? Stupid or troll? We're waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM

778 posts, read 998,271 times
Minneapolis/St Paul, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Boston.

They all range from considerably worse to slightly worse to identical.

NYC and Philly are slightly better.

How are Toronto and Montreal?

Tokyo? London? Paris? Much better winter cities, right? (and before your inevitable post about them not having "winter", theyre still cold and miserable, whether its overcast and rain/drizzle or snow).

Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
If youre gonna make some bold statements,

By the way, which if the following is a "bold statement"?:

1) Chicago is cold to most people.
2) Chicago is not cold to most people.

I think you know the answer to this. Like you said, it's not brain surgery.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM

Once again, my point was that to most, Chicago isnt the worst. Im not saying its not cold. Its only the worst to those who come from warmer climates, and scale of exposure.

Each subsequent post of yours suggests that it is brain surgery for you to understand.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:05 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Quote:
And what Northern city doesnt have cold winters? More specifically in the Midwest and Northeast? A region of 150+ million.

Rust Belt, Great Lakes, doesnt matter. Its still a ****ing mass population center for the country. You cant ****ing dismiss an entire region because "people only care about Chicago." Thats the point.

Go to Tokyo, London or Paris now. Talk about SAD.

Go to Philly. I hear the cruises are beautiful this time of year.

People from warmer climates cant take cold winters anywhere.
I'm sorry, I don't even know what your point is anymore. Do you want me to admit there are places as cold as Chicago? Okay, there are places as cold as Chicago, some colder.

But I didn't think anyone was debating that. The point was Chicago winters are cold, and your calling everyone crybabies because they think so was tiresome a long time ago, and is especially tiresome now. Yes, it does take some adjusting to for people from warmer climates, but it can be done, and some adjustments are harder to make than others. If you read this very thread, you'd know I called Chicago winters a vast improvement over winters in MN, and after having lived in the Midwest for years, freezing temperatures aren't even worth me breaking my gloves out over anymore. That doesn't mean 30 degrees isn't cold. Even Chicagoans think it's cold. If it's colder than freezing outside, it's cold, and when the temp drops an additional 10-15 degrees in January, it's damn cold. Sorry we don't take the dubious Crappiest Climate distinction away from Cleveland, but Chicago winters are cold. Fin.

Oh, and by the way, you keep saying most Americans live in climates at least as cold as ours. This is not true. Please stop saying that.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM

My point is, its not the coldest winter. There is an entire region which has virtually the same winter, or worse. Thats it.

We get it. Most people probably experience a winter in Chicago due to its size, but again, it doesnt mean its the worst, since there are over 150 million people in the Midwest/Northeast.

Chicago winters are par for the ****ing course.

People from warmer climates will complain about cold and snowy winters everywhere. Minneapolis. Boston. Philly. Cleveland. You get the point.

The guy from Cleveland is touching on the same thing I am. When it comes to discussing Chicago, people make out the winters to be much worse than they are. Thats it.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Minneapolis/St Paul, Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Boston.

They all range from considerably worse to slightly worse to identical.
Okay. So, what is the total population of the ones that are worse? How does that compare to the population of the rest of the U.S.?

Quote:
NYC and Philly are slightly better.
Also known as "not as cold as Chicago," like most of the U.S.

Quote:
How are Toronto and Montreal?
We're discussing the U.S. Yes, most of Canada is colder than Chicago. This is not news, nor is it debated by anyone.

Quote:
Tokyo? London? Paris?
Again, these are not in the U.S., but at least two of the three are significantly warmer than Chicago in the winter.

Now that you've proven how wrong you were, and we can all agree that Chicago is cold to most people (as if this was ever up for debate in the first place), I'm done here. Have fun, obtuse one.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
My point is, its not the coldest winter. There is an entire region which has virtually the same winter, or worse. Thats it.
Oh, really? Chicago isn't the coldest place that there is in the entire United States? I did not know that. I'm glad we had this discussion.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Stop making it out like it is, is what we are saying.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 PM

No one ever said it was, guano for brains. Saying something is bad doesn't mean it's the worst thing of its kind that exists. Example: "Chicago has bad winters" does NOT equal "Chicago winters are worse than those of every other place that exists in the country." Another example: "The Mindy Project is a disappointingly terrible show" does NOT equal "This is the most terrible and disappointing TV show that there is." I mean, they're both up there, bell-curve-wise, but worse offenders exist.

I think we're done here. In any case, OP dude, Chicago winters are cold and will take some getting used to, but it can be done. I say this as someone who did not own a single long-sleeved shirt while she was in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago